Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 11:20 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,385,141 times

Advertisements

If it's in a good neighborhood, having only 1.5 baths might not hurt your resale value.

My house in N.J. was a turn of the last century Queen Anne cape with one bath on the second floor and a half bath in the basement. Not very convenient, but at least there was a second option if my dh and I had to both go at once.

Anyway, our house sold for $20,000 over asking after a bidding war. (This was before the real estate market started to tank). The person who bought it was a plumber who has since put on an addition with a master bedroom/bathroom. Problem solved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 11:24 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
uninhabitable? jeez

I would say go for the 1 bathroom if its just you two living there.
To clarify, it's not even two people living there. My daughter will be at school and will visit, but right now she's maintaining her permanent address at her dad's house since I am temporarily sharing an apartment with two roommates until I find my place.

Since her father lives closer to her friends than where I am looking, I am not likely to have her for extended periods of time.

Right now the temporary apartment-sharing bit IS three people with one bathroom, and it's manageable, but not great.

You know, the Bradys did it with six kids, two parents and a housekeeper.

Old 08-26-2009, 11:28 AM

2,771 posts, read 6,276,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Other than that they are a necessity!

Looking at small (2-bedroom) houses on the real estate websites, and I always have specified "at least 1.5" bathrooms in my search criteria. Just for the heck of it, I changed it to 1 bathroom and it opened up some new possibilities.

Having grown up in a house with three bathrooms, the idea of a home with only one bathroom seemed unthinkable, but the fact that the house I grew up in had up to 10 people at one point and now it will be only me and a daughter who is away at college most of the time is an obvious difference. If it means a better-priced house, especially if it's in a better neighborhood, maybe I should get over the one-bathroom anxiety and expand my horizons, hoping that the only toilet never breaks.

So what do you think, smart people on C-D?
Not having a bath or half-bath on the ground floor might cause problems if you have visitors with mobility issues (e.g. parents/grandparents)

Old 08-26-2009, 11:29 AM

46 posts, read 166,180 times
Go for the 1 bathroom if you will be the only person permanently living in the home. You can add a half bath later on down the road, if necessary.

Old 08-26-2009, 11:31 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
Quote:
To clarify, it's not even two people living there. My daughter will be at school and will visit, but right now she's maintaining her permanent address at her dad's house since I am temporarily sharing an apartment with two roommates until I find my place.

Since her father lives closer to her friends than where I am looking, I am not likely to have her for extended periods of time.

Right now the temporary apartment-sharing bit IS three people with one bathroom, and it's manageable, but not great.

You know, the Bradys did it with six kids, two parents and a housekeeper.

Well then i would say go for it being aware it may affect resale and how long it stays on market....there may be a reason why your change in what you were looking for opened more available homes.....they aren't selling

Old 08-26-2009, 11:36 AM

636 posts, read 1,424,078 times
Many people like a 2nd bath for only visitors to use when they come over.

Old 08-26-2009, 12:09 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Well then i would say go for it being aware it may affect resale and how long it stays on market....there may be a reason why your change in what you were looking for opened more available homes.....they aren't selling
Well, they simply wouldn't have shown up on a search that excluded houses with fewer than 1.5, either.

But I get the desirability factor, as I wasn't willing to look at 1-bathroom houses in the first place.

I do have to think about resale, which hasn't really been in the forefront of my mind. I've never owned a home so in my head I think I'm looking for a house I'm going to live in until I die or get carted to the nursing home but that might not be the case, of course.

Old 08-26-2009, 12:14 PM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
Quote:
Well, they simply wouldn't have shown up on a search that excluded houses with fewer than 1.5, either.

But I get the desirability factor, as I wasn't willing to look at 1-bathroom houses in the first place.

I do have to think about resale, which hasn't really been in the forefront of my mind. I've never owned a home so in my head I think I'm looking for a house I'm going to live in until I die or get carted to the nursing home but that might not be the case, of course.
well bottom line is you have to do what is best for you & within your budget!!
Good Luck
What areas are you looking in?

Old 08-26-2009, 12:42 PM

229 posts, read 923,611 times
Quote:
Other than that they are a necessity!

Looking at small (2-bedroom) houses on the real estate websites, and I always have specified "at least 1.5" bathrooms in my search criteria. Just for the heck of it, I changed it to 1 bathroom and it opened up some new possibilities.

Having grown up in a house with three bathrooms, the idea of a home with only one bathroom seemed unthinkable, but the fact that the house I grew up in had up to 10 people at one point and now it will be only me and a daughter who is away at college most of the time is an obvious difference. If it means a better-priced house, especially if it's in a better neighborhood, maybe I should get over the one-bathroom anxiety and expand my horizons, hoping that the only toilet never breaks.

So what do you think, smart people on C-D?

You really answered your own question. As you stated, you searched only for 1.5 or more, which is what most people will do. Having 1 puts you at a distinct disadvantage from the standpoint of those who will even come look at the home.

Old 08-26-2009, 12:56 PM

1,000 posts, read 3,603,160 times
My first house had 1 bath and fetched 5 grand over asking price before real estate blew up (1999)

When it's time to sell, there are going to be people who were in the same boat as you when you bought. It's all relative IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey