Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 12:08 PM

1,787 posts, read 5,747,801 times

Advertisements

I don't think anyplace is the best to purchase appliances anymore. No one takes pride in service.

Last "black Friday," I purchased a super special from Sears, a front loading washer and dryer that was also stackable. When the set was delivered, the gas dryer looked like it fell off a truck; the outside of the piece was seriously bulged out. The guys wanted to leave it anyway, until I received my replacement dryer and they thought it would still be okay to use. The driver had to call "someone" to tell the person about the damaged dryer (like no one knew this before it was loaded onto the truck) and had to borrow my cell phone. . .he had no phone? Anyway, it took months later to get a replacement set and these guys were professional and were so different to deal with than the first delivery guys.

My better experiences have always been with the smaller mom and pop type places.

good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2009, 12:29 PM

17 posts, read 82,505 times
I don't know how much do appliances typically run but I'm willing to spend around $4,000 or more for a nice fridge, washer, and dryer set. We want to buy before we actually move into a new home because the washer/dryer and fridge that is included is not pretty. So before we move in, might as well get some new stuff.

I'm digging the statinless steel fridge but not sure what style to get. I'm also fascinated by the nice washer/dryer sets from LG but gosh, don't know about pricing.

Seems like everyone here mentioned Sears but are ambivalent on their service and fees.

Old 08-31-2009, 12:53 PM

1,787 posts, read 5,747,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mylychee View Post
I don't know how much do appliances typically run but I'm willing to spend around $4,000 or more for a nice fridge, washer, and dryer set. We want to buy before we actually move into a new home because the washer/dryer and fridge that is included is not pretty. So before we move in, might as well get some new stuff.

I'm digging the statinless steel fridge but not sure what style to get. I'm also fascinated by the nice washer/dryer sets from LG but gosh, don't know about pricing.

Seems like everyone here mentioned Sears but are ambivalent on their service and fees.
My electrician put in all new stainless appliances in his kitchen and all he and his wife do are wipe finger prints off all day. He had no idea how well stainless shows finger prints. He was not happy. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but you can't use magnets on stainless (?) to hang your kids' pictures. (Maybe that's a good thing.) There is another color that is suppose to look like stainless and is less expensive; it looks like pewter to me.

In July, I purchased a refrigerator from Lowe's. The price was right (20% off), delivery was free"ish" ($65 card to use in Lowe's), and Lowe's called right after the delivery to find out if everything was okay. I'm not saying they're the best. I would buy from anyone that has the best deal. No one offers the best "service".

Go to some stores and look at the appliances and get a feel about the company and ask questions.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:45 AM

1,983 posts, read 7,518,203 times
I'll give you several good reasons to care about service:

The delivery can be problematic, the appliances could not be what you ordered when delivered, they could break shortly after purchase in which case dealing with Sears home warranty repair can be a nightmare. Sears has had rising complaints along these lines. If you want to risk headaches that's fine.

Old 09-01-2009, 09:15 AM

312 posts, read 1,164,119 times
We have stainless and I never worry about the fingerprints. Before we have company over we just use SS wipes to wipe down the appliances. Even with fingerprints I think SS looks better than anything else unless u get custom fronts to match your cabinetry. But that is all a personal preference.

We went with a GE french door refrigerator with bottom freezer. This keeps the compartments you use most at an easy level to reach. Our dishwasher is a Miele because they have a nice utensil tray. Our washer/dryer are whirlpool because they are supposedly more reliable than LG and have the same features. We have a oven/microwave wall unit from GE that seems to work well. Our range is a 48" Capitol range but if I had gone with a standard 30" range we prob would have chosen GE. Overall I think GE offers good value for price/performance/reliability.

Old 09-01-2009, 09:56 PM

130 posts, read 497,105 times
Here is my advice.

1. Buy the fridge in a Sears outlet location. No one can beat that price. Period. I bought a stainless steel ge profile with a small dent on the back for 1150. It is worth 2000 brand new. I went to couple of Sears outlet locations near Deptford.

2. Washer/Dryer - Dont even think about buying anything other than LG. It is the best brand out there for W/D. Again, try to find them in Sears outlet. But buy only LG W/D.

Good Luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey