Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 10:05 AM

877 posts, read 2,841,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taliana View Post
I know the original OP's thread is old, but as a Mercer County resident I noticed that the affluent tend to shop at the Freehold Raceway Mall, given it is about only 30 minutes away. And there is always Princeton's downtown center that has alot upscale shops and boutiques, but I do agree about the QuakerBridge Mall being suprisingly low key for such a wealthy area.
What is "wealthy" around there aside from Princeton, Hopewell and West Windsor?

The mall is in Lawrenceville, which IMO has more in common with Hamilton and Ewing, directly bordering Trenton. There are plenty of sketchy areas around there too. Last time I was there I saw a blood standing there right outside the Lawrence Steakhouse. I'll stick to my twin malls - Woodbridge & Menlo - from now on

Market Fair I never knew had an indoor section until I stopped at B&N there recently, but it does seem like a Princeton kinda mall, like it's upscale, but with a slightly odd selection of stores, strictly for the intellectual type.

I work with a guy who lives in East Windsor, which is also nowhere near as affluent as West Windsor, Princeton or Hopewell. He drives from his townhouse in Twin Rivers out on 33 to Raceway Mall as well. Trenton's junk gets bussed to shop at QB Mall on Sundays. I actually think Mercer County has more non-desirable areas than affluent areas. Trenton is spreading all over the place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2010, 10:21 AM

4,725 posts, read 4,431,499 times
I live in West Windsor and have to say that I rarely go to QB mall- and when I do it is with a specific purpose and I am in and out as quickly as possible. I don't go to malls much, but I certainly prefer Freehold/ I am amazed at the difference and also the people at the malls. It is just a much nicer mall and everything about it is inviting. Not so QB. I do wish they would start some of the improvements we all heard about years ago. I am guessing the lousy economy has made some of the newer more upscale anchors a little gun-shy?

Old 09-18-2010, 03:09 PM

877 posts, read 2,841,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
I live in West Windsor and have to say that I rarely go to QB mall- and when I do it is with a specific purpose and I am in and out as quickly as possible. I don't go to malls much, but I certainly prefer Freehold/ I am amazed at the difference and also the people at the malls. It is just a much nicer mall and everything about it is inviting. Not so QB. I do wish they would start some of the improvements we all heard about years ago. I am guessing the lousy economy has made some of the newer more upscale anchors a little gun-shy?
I just don't think Mercer County overall is that wealthy when you average it all together. Princeton, WW and Hopewell/Pennington/Titusville are about it really. And QB is just too close to Trenton, it would be foolish for them to put money toward that. Trenton's junk will tear it to shreds.

Has anyone here ever actually been to Trenton? It is beyond an eyesore, it is a disgusting hell hole damaged beyond repair. And it's spreading throughout the area as well. Why do you think Princeton has seen increases in gang activity? It's a disaster waiting to happen. They won't redo QB because of the area's overall demographics and what is happening. See my last post on this thread, how I recently saw the blood member standing outside, at about 2PM on a Friday afternoon. They're smart in not doing it there because it's too close to Trenton. We are the only state whose governor does not live in the capital city.

Now if they expanded Market Fair, that might work. What about Forrestal Center? Is that a mall or is it just a bunch of upscale restaurants?

Old 09-18-2010, 09:01 PM

4,725 posts, read 4,431,499 times
you are right about the Trenton crowd- and that Trenton is seriously bad news.
Forrestal Center started out years ago -as a sort of destination shopping area - like a village with main street nice walking, nice restaurants etc. It had outlets, but it never really caught on. I drove through there recently and it is pretty deserted. There are some stores there, but nothing really and plenty of empty stores. There are nice restaurants there, offices, and hotels. But nothing happening retail wise.

Old 09-18-2010, 09:16 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,064,058 times
Forrestal has little to no retail any more. It does have some upscale restaurants and a spa and I suspect some of that space may become doctors' offices now that the new Princeton Medical Center is being built nearby on route 1.

I agree that Quaker Bridge Mall is a tired, old dump, Lawrence Township is still reviewing the plans to renovate it-http://www.centraljersey.com/articles/2010/07/28/the_princeton_packet/news/doc4c4e00002ed93969793373.txt
I'll believe it when I see it, I never go there.

I am in Trenton a couple of times a week and it is a hell hole, a dangerous one.
The director of the Trenton Police force quit his position when ordered to move to Trenton. Trenton's police director Joseph Santiago resigns due to residency requirement | NJ.com
That speaks volumes!

Old 09-18-2010, 11:28 PM

81 posts, read 341,066 times
My husband's family live in Hamilton and they NEVER go to The Quaker Bridge mall, they go to the Oxford Valley mall over in PA.

Old 09-19-2010, 07:58 AM

133 posts, read 502,963 times
I agree that Mercer County is not overall very wealthy, but there are pockets of wealth. Certainly people who are able to afford Princeton/West Windsor have to shop somewhere! LOL. At least they have Princeton's downtown center which is one of my favorite and coolest downtowns in NJ...which has upscale clothing/boutiques.

Old 09-19-2010, 09:28 AM

83 posts, read 224,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taliana View Post
I agree that Mercer County is not overall very wealthy, but there are pockets of wealth. Certainly people who are able to afford Princeton/West Windsor have to shop somewhere! LOL. At least they have Princeton's downtown center which is one of my favorite and coolest downtowns in NJ...which has upscale clothing/boutiques.
Don't people shop at Palmer Square?

Old 09-19-2010, 01:10 PM

133 posts, read 502,963 times
Yes! that is what I meant by the downtown center (where Palmer Square is). It is such a quaint place! I think it ranks up there with Summit downtown and Westfield's downtown as the top downtowns in N.J.

Old 03-08-2011, 05:53 PM

1 posts, read 2,382 times
Actually, if you are interested you should attend the township meetings and you will be able to get first hand information for yourself. At the last meeting, they showed the plans and it appears that Nordstrom's is still on but they will have 5-10 years to complete the renovation. They are spending millions, not just for the mall but for the area including bike paths, traffic and the footbridge. The township is also asking for ridiculous requests. The plans look amazing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey