Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 03:10 PM

102 posts, read 260,986 times

Advertisements

Officially under contract today and now i realize i have no idea what are homeowners reponsibilities. My parents have a townhouse so everything gets done for them. Do you guys have any insight on what a 1st time homeowner should know and do, for example snow removal and recycling?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2009, 07:40 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nestlequik View Post
Officially under contract today and now i realize i have no idea what are homeowners reponsibilities. My parents have a townhouse so everything gets done for them. Do you guys have any insight on what a 1st time homeowner should know and do, for example snow removal and recycling?
I think this goes by your town. Usually each town has a recycling schedule that you can get at town hall or on the town website.

Same with snow removal--the town hall will have the info on whether you are responsible to clear any sidewalks in front of your house within a certain time of the snowfall, etc.

Old 10-11-2009, 07:49 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,048,256 times
Quote:
Go to your municipal web site (or the office), they have all that info available to you.
Don't know where you are purchasing but here is an example of a municipal web site-http://www.princetontwp.org/

Good luck and welcome!

Old 10-11-2009, 07:50 PM

138 posts, read 509,667 times
Who's your real estate agent? This is part of their job. Ask THEM! Also, you can find this info on the township website where you're looking to purchase. If you don't see the info, call the town and get it. You're responsible for as much due diligence as your agent and as you're buying. Go for it.

Old 10-11-2009, 09:01 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,917,624 times
As far as snow removal, that's pretty much universal. The town will plow your street, you're responsible for your driveway and sidewalks. It's always fun digging our your driveway entrance from the mound of snow piled up by the plow.

While you're technically responsible for your sidewalk (if your neighborhood has sidewalks) most people around here don't shovel them, as it's mostly 3/4-acre properties and is just too much to do.

Old 10-12-2009, 10:18 AM

228 posts, read 1,204,479 times
We're required to clear our sidewalks within 24 hours of the snowfall. I'm not looking forward to shoveling my sidewalk at all. I think I have more sidewalk to shovel than driveway.

Old 10-12-2009, 10:39 AM

102 posts, read 260,986 times
My realtor is amazing, i just didn't want to ask that idiotic question. She did state she would give me a print out of things but this forum tends to be more detailed due to experience. I looked up the township website and i have our garbage pick up dates and the recycling schedule, so thank you for the advice. I just thought you guys would know little things like how often to exterminate or ways to save energy, etc. Having a home is a whole different experience then a town home or my current apartment.

Old 10-12-2009, 04:20 PM

861 posts, read 2,717,006 times
Quote:
My realtor is amazing, i just didn't want to ask that idiotic question. She did state she would give me a print out of things but this forum tends to be more detailed due to experience. I looked up the township website and i have our garbage pick up dates and the recycling schedule, so thank you for the advice. I just thought you guys would know little things like how often to exterminate or ways to save energy, etc. Having a home is a whole different experience then a town home or my current apartment.
I am a 1st time home buyer too. My boyfriend and I disocvered this really fun website: www.thenest.com ~ there is all kinds of helpful tips & info on there... everything from mortgages to money saving tips to decorating to recipes on there. Seriously, everytime I go on, I could spend hours discovering and learning things!
Best of luck with your new place!

Old 10-12-2009, 04:46 PM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,290,315 times
My suggestion, find where your circuit breakers are and what each one is to.
Find where all your water shut off valves are.
Learn how to light or turn off your furnace or A/C.
Have working smoke detectors and a fire extinguisher handy in the kitchen with the proper rating for grease, and other type of home fires. Plan an escape root for the possibility. A root & an agreed to "go to" spot.
Post your local garbage/waste management, cable company, electric company/ gas company, non-emergency & emergency police & fire dept #s handy - probably in the kitchen by the phone.
Have a flashlight & back up batteries handy.
Have a good 6' step ladder & basic hand tools.

I'm sure there's more, but that's it from me for now.

Old 10-12-2009, 07:27 PM

1,184 posts, read 4,043,082 times
Owning a little over seven acres in the country taught me good over the last twenty years.

Yes, ask the Realtor for information. But as jerseyj said, start with your municipality to see what your responsibilities are in that community. I'd add that you should check out the local access channel once a week for updates and bulletins.

It's good that you know the garbage and recylcing schedule. I would also suggest looking for information on leaf collection (Dates and times. How are the leaves to be bagged or tarped? Where are they to be placed?)

Something like extermination can actually be taken care of through a preventative plan where the exterminator will come in once a quarter and spray for specific bugs. The legitimate ones will actually come in and set bug traps that will allow them to figure out what actually might be in and around your place before they spray for anything.

B4U mentioned several good practices. I would just say, don't just get any flashlight. Get a couple bright LED flashlights and place them in rooms where you will do most of your living, eating and sleeping.

I'd also suggest making a habit of walking your home, inside and out, and the perimeter of whatever property you may have to look for things that need to be repaired or replaced. I do this once a month. On occasion I get a bit anal about it and even use my camera phone to actually photograph what needs to be repaired so I can show it to the person I deal with at the local home improvement center.

My "walk" starts in the attic, checking the rafters and joists as well as the insulation for any dampness or water stains. In all the rooms, I check for any structural cracks in the ceilings and walls. I'll test the smoke alarm in each room. I look at the outlets in each room to make sure there are no burn marks. I'll also check the light switches to make sure they are firm, but not too tight nor too loose. In the the bathrooms I look for leaks both in and around the toilets and sinks. I'll check the shower heads and the drains for clogs. In the laundry I'll check for leaks from the washer and I'll clean out the lint trap by the dryer. I can't tell you how many people wind up with their dryers burning out because they let the lint build up in the exhaust until they could knit sweaters for a small village. In the HVAC room, I'll replace the air filters each quarter. I'll also check the hot water heater for leaks. I have an alarm system and I have it tested remotely once a quarter.

On the outside, I look at the siding for any buckling. I look at the eaves and the gutters for any birds' nests and clogs. If you have vents leading from any of the bathrooms or from your range hood, see to it that you get the vent covers to stop birds and rodents from getting in. Look for cracks in the foundation and any unusual depressions close to the house. It may just be settling, but you need to make sure there isn't something else going on like rotting debris that may have been landfilled in the area. Check any outdoor plugs and spigots to make sure they are in working order.

If you have any property associated with the home, look to see what is on it. Check any fencing to make sure it is secure. If it is chain-link, check for any rust, loose sections where animals may be able to get through or small children. If it's a split-rail or wooden pen-type fence, check the wood for any rot or weak boards.

Make sure you know where your property lines are, especially if you don't have fencing so you can be aware of what is your property. If you don't know, do not rely solely on a map given to you by the realtor or by the county clerk. It's cost some coin, but in the long run it'll be worth it; get a reputable surveyor in to confirm what is listed in the county clerk's office. If possible, walk the property with him/her so you know exactly where the pins are and any witness features likes trees or boulders.

In terms of energy saving tips, the first one may be the most obvious, but it is usually overlooked. Make sure the thermostat(s) for your HVAC system is/are accurately registering the temperature in the room where it/they are located. Second, make sure the condenser outside is clear of any debris around the fins and the slats. Third, if your heating system is forced air, make sure the coils or natural gas jets are clear and can heat or fire relatively quickly (usually no more than thirty second should pass between the time the system turns on and the coils or igniter have started. Fourth, when you are active in the home, keep the temperature to 72 or 74. At night in the winter, I usually drop the temperature down to 68 and throw an extra blanket on. In the summer, I try to sleep with the windows open unless it is too humid or just too hot. Even then I'll keep the temperature at about 76. Summer and Fall, you can usually do without the A/C and heat and rely on the windows.

Another consideration would be look at LED light bulbs as opposed to the CFLs and incandescents. You can get some info from this company. I don't work for them, but I appreciate their straight-forward approach.

Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey