Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 06:39 AM

2,771 posts, read 6,273,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitmantb View Post
SAT is the most objective score you can give to a high school, and high school is the best representation of a neighborhood's school system (it represents the sum of elementary+middle+high schools).
The SAT tells you where the students are when they leave, but it says nothing about where they are when they go in.

Maybe they are in the top 1% when they start, and by the time they're done, they're only in the top 10%. But the "school system" still gets to take credit because no-one pays any attention to the baseline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 02:40 PM

594 posts, read 1,199,496 times
Edgewater is better than Fort Lee

Old 10-29-2009, 02:49 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,247,844 times
I been living in Edgewater for nearly a year now (came from Bayside, NY). River Road traffic on Edgewater can get very horrible and extremely painful. Then again, if you are looking at Fort Lee condos/townhouses near the GW or Edgewater border...it's the same deal.

Regarding transportation to city. If cost is not of concern, Ferry service will get you to city and back the fastest. Beats all other transportation to city.

As for shopping and restaurants in Edgewater, I think it's about same between Fort Lee and Edgewater. Actually if it came down to it, I think Fort Lee offer more in terms of small shops and walkable distance due to it being clustered. Edgewater is sort of spread out in number of 4 plazas along River Road.

Edgewater Plaza: Pathmark, Target, etc.
Mitsuwa: Japanese Supermarket
Binghamton: Trader Joe
Town Center: WholeFood

Restaurants: If you or your family are in need mood for Korean or Chinese cuisine, you will definitely be driving to different township.

School: Edgewater township will need to build additional elementary school to cope with influx of elementary school kids and I don't think that was approved yet. Probably matter of time though and when it does it'll increase your property tax.

Overall: I think Edgewater is probably more ritzy of the two to live in. I'm not sure which has better education. Eitherway you'll be driving between Fort Lee and Edgewater often which either town you live in. I find myself driving to foodshop in Edgewater and going to Fort lee for small shopping or meals.

Old 10-29-2009, 03:24 PM

69 posts, read 336,010 times
Thanks, what do you think of Edgewater vs Bayside since you lived in Bayside before?

I looked at Bayside but the housing stock there is extremely old. Also bus commute to Manhattan is brutal compared to Edgewater unless you are near LIRR.

They say Bayside got good schools but its Cardozo high school has the same SAT score as Leonia(Edgewater). It is not bad by NYC standard but no advantage vs Edgewater.

Is bus sufficient? Time schedules say 25-35 minutes bus ride from Edgewater to Port Authority, does that sound right for the most part?

Last edited by hitmantb; 10-29-2009 at 03:33 PM..

Old 10-29-2009, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Thanks, what do you think of Edgewater vs Bayside since you lived in Bayside before?
I've moved around quite a bit. Once every 2 years or so. Lived in Syosset, NY (Long Island ) for some time too. I been New Yorker all my life so I'm very biased. If my job was not in NJ I'd be living in Bayside over Edgewater. I'm married but have no children. If I had children, I'd pick Long Island or NJ for education. Overall, NY and NJ both have big budget deficit so two things are for sure which is public services will be reduced and taxes will go up. So pick your poison, live in suburb NY, live in NJ, or live in NY metro and send kids to private or charter schools. If they are smart enough to get into Bronx Science or Sty, then kudos.

Quote:
I looked at Bayside but the housing stock there is extremely old. Also bus commute to Manhattan is brutal compared to Edgewater unless you are near LIRR.
You definitely want LIRR at Bayside. As for Edgewater, if you take the bus...it's not that much better than bus from Bayside. Fastest way to city from Edgewater is Ferry but it's the most expensive. I think it's about $ 100-150 higher than bus for monthly passes.

Quote:
They say Bayside got good schools but its Cardozo high school has the same SAT score as Leonia(Edgewater). It is not bad by NYC standard but no advantage vs Edgewater.
This I can certainly say that look beyond the SAT scores. Bayside is much more of metro while Leonia is definitely suburb. If I had children and I have $ 500,000 budget for home. I would choose Leonia over Bayside.

Quote:
Is bus sufficient? Time schedules say 25-35 minutes bus ride from Edgewater to Port Authority, does that sound right for the most part?
In my experience, it's more like 40-60 min. to NYC via Bus during rush hour from Edgewater. Closer you live to GW bridge, longer you commute but you'll get a seat in the morning.

Old 11-02-2009, 09:59 AM

3 posts, read 10,462 times
Default which building in edgewater would you recommend ? im looking for a 3BR apt w east commute and good school systems .

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozereddy View Post
OP,
The complexes you have mentioned in edgewater have problems hence they are cheap:
The Promenade has some structural problems and pending litigation.
One Hudson Park has a litigation too.
So you are out of luck getting a loan for these buildings. I am surprised your Realtor did not mention these to you.
which building in edgewater would you recommend ? im looking for a 3BR apt w east commute and good school systems .

Old 11-02-2009, 10:05 AM

3 posts, read 10,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babo111 View Post
I been living in Edgewater for nearly a year now (came from Bayside, NY). River Road traffic on Edgewater can get very horrible and extremely painful. Then again, if you are looking at Fort Lee condos/townhouses near the GW or Edgewater border...it's the same deal.

Regarding transportation to city. If cost is not of concern, Ferry service will get you to city and back the fastest. Beats all other transportation to city.

As for shopping and restaurants in Edgewater, I think it's about same between Fort Lee and Edgewater. Actually if it came down to it, I think Fort Lee offer more in terms of small shops and walkable distance due to it being clustered. Edgewater is sort of spread out in number of 4 plazas along River Road.

Edgewater Plaza: Pathmark, Target, etc.
Mitsuwa: Japanese Supermarket
Binghamton: Trader Joe
Town Center: WholeFood

Restaurants: If you or your family are in need mood for Korean or Chinese cuisine, you will definitely be driving to different township.

School: Edgewater township will need to build additional elementary school to cope with influx of elementary school kids and I don't think that was approved yet. Probably matter of time though and when it does it'll increase your property tax.

Overall: I think Edgewater is probably more ritzy of the two to live in. I'm not sure which has better education. Eitherway you'll be driving between Fort Lee and Edgewater often which either town you live in. I find myself driving to foodshop in Edgewater and going to Fort lee for small shopping or meals.
how about for a 3 y.o. ? is there good elementary school in edgewater , public or private ?

what's the best private school near edgewater area ? how much average does it cost ?

Old 11-02-2009, 11:59 AM

51 posts, read 269,517 times
Edgewater has pretty small inventory. If you are financing you will be looking at Grand Cove, IH, City place (this is on shopping complex) etc. Ask your realtor to send some listings or use trulia. You should be able to find 2 bdrms in 450-500K range. I think 3 bdrms are in 600K+ range. good luck...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jin-nj View Post
which building in edgewater would you recommend ? im looking for a 3BR apt w east commute and good school systems .

Old 11-03-2009, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jin-nj View Post
how about for a 3 y.o. ? is there good elementary school in edgewater , public or private ?

what's the best private school near edgewater area ? how much average does it cost ?
I don't have children so I don't know sorry. Far as I'm aware, public elementary school for Edgewater is good.

One more thing, I was talking with my friend about Fort Lee HS vs. Leonia HS and her take is education level wise is about equal. Difference is though the size of school and size of student body. She let me know Leonia HS has about half the students of Fort Lee HS so if you want your child to have school experience smaller school feel with maybe more personalize attention go for Leonia. If more competitive feel at larger school, Fort Lee.

I think it's like 400-600 vs. 1,000-1,200 HS students? I went to HS in Syosset, NY and that was like 1,700-1,900. Please keep in mind this is based on our high school experiences from mid 90s so most likely student body increased since then. My friend went to Fort Lee? or Palisades Park HS in mid 90s. I forgot which school.

Lastly, aesthetically Edgewater is a lot more beautiful than Fort Lee in my opinion.

Old 11-03-2009, 01:17 PM

69 posts, read 336,010 times
Fort Lee is 1057 and Leonia is 1037, difference is negligible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey