Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2009, 02:43 PM

8 posts, read 10,673 times

Advertisements

My husband recently started a job out in Bridgewater. Both he and I were born and raised in Southern California and that's about all we know. We've only visited NYC - but just as tourists.

We are currently temporarily corporate housed in Cedar Knolls and have about one month left before we have to find permanent housing on our own. Everything is so spaced out and not like So Cal - we could use some help. We are trying to do this on our own since realtor fees are so expensive.

Here's some of our criteria...
-We have a 3 year old looking to start preschool as soon as we settle on a place to rent
- I am 3.5 months pregnant so I want to find a house near good hospitals, good doctors/pediatricians and the like
- Husband doesn't mind up to a 30 minute or so commute from Bridgewater
- Looking to rent first...possibly 3 bedrooms, 2 baths at no more than $2K a month -- family will be visiting from So Cal a lot when new baby is born so we need the space
- Ideally we would like to have a house...with a rambunctious 3 year old and a crying newborn on the way - I doubt anyone sharing walls with us will be happy
- Either before or after baby I'm hoping to find work in NYC (work in Advertising) so hopefully something easy to get home before 10pm
- We are looking at Summit and someone told us to look at Morristown - but another person said Morristown is good for singles looking at a bar scene?
- We have a dog in Cali - but will give her up if we can't find space for her

Any and all helpful pointers are much appreciated. There are so many towns and cities - we've been driving around but are overwhelmed.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 03:38 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,667,243 times
Suggest Whippany, E. Hanover areas as they are near 287. New preschool at the corner of Parsippany and Whippany Rd. There are several buses that go into the city in the area. Overlook is a good hospital. If you want an honest realtor for renting or buying in the area, send me a PM.
If you are interested in Bridgewater/Raritan area, good ob/gyn is Dr. Parlavecchio, Women's Health Center in Raritan. 908-252-1522

Old 10-08-2009, 05:02 PM

273 posts, read 684,769 times
I think Bridgewater is a pretty nice area to live in you can also look into Hillsborough.

Old 10-08-2009, 08:27 PM

8 posts, read 10,673 times
Hi Ellwood - are you a realtor?

Old 10-08-2009, 10:11 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,027,192 times
This website lists rentals:

GSMLS

You don't need to pay any realtor fees, the landlord pays them.

Bridgewater/Hillsborough isn't good for commuting to NY if that is what you want.
You could try Scotch Plains, Westfield or Cranford. Summit is good, Morristown not so much for families. Berkeley Heights, New Providence etc are nice too but might be an awkward commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey