Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 06:47 AM

1 posts, read 2,531 times

Advertisements

i live in jersey city and want to know if a bedroom have to have a window
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2009, 09:16 AM

1,110 posts, read 4,372,878 times
To be considered a bedroom, a closet and window are required. Window because in case of fire.

Old 10-11-2009, 12:04 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,955,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin48 View Post
i live in jersey city and want to know if a bedroom have to have a window
Yes, and it has to be a certain size as well (some people try to build bedrooms in their basements but because of the small windows they don't count as real bedrooms). And a closet.

Old 10-11-2009, 01:34 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,824,382 times
I think every room is supposed to have a window if there's immediate access to the outdoors behind a wall for emergency purposes.

Old 10-11-2009, 04:13 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,152,277 times
Are you sure a closet is required? Is this just for apartments or for houses too? I have a 3BR house but one of the "bedrooms" does not have a closet. We use it as an office.

Old 10-11-2009, 09:27 PM

1,110 posts, read 4,372,878 times
Yes, closet is required. Sure of that.

Old 10-12-2009, 06:05 AM

555 posts, read 1,654,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyshoes View Post
Yes, and it has to be a certain size as well (some people try to build bedrooms in their basements but because of the small windows they don't count as real bedrooms). And a closet.
Yep... something about a fireman being able to fit through the window...

People can advertise their homes however they want (they can call a walk in closet a room if they want) but when the appraiser comes, you'll need a window and closet for your appraisal value... I've also heard bathrooms in basements generally aren't counted by the appraisal... my home appraised as 4/1 even though there's a second bathroom in the basement.

Old 10-12-2009, 07:14 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,152,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemmert View Post
People can advertise their homes however they want (they can call a walk in closet a room if they want) but when the appraiser comes, you'll need a window and closet for your appraisal value... I've also heard bathrooms in basements generally aren't counted by the appraisal... my home appraised as 4/1 even though there's a second bathroom in the basement.
Good to know. We're getting reassessed next year so I'll definitely bring that up if they count the basement bathroom.

Old 12-02-2009, 08:01 AM

6 posts, read 19,077 times
Interesting. Apparently my apartment is a 0 bedroom apartment, not a 2 bedroom! The closets are in the living room & dining room. (It's an old 1800s building. The second bedroom also has a "servant's entrance" to the stairway!)

Old 12-02-2009, 08:12 AM

50 posts, read 176,361 times
Interestingly we had an old realtor and his partner from Coldwell in Morris County try to convince us that a house we were interested in was a 4Br. One Br was so tiny, with a standard window, maybe enough room for just a full bed, nightstand and have to squeeze a wardrobe in there because there was no closet. They said you can build a closet, but if you did the required sq ft for a bedroom would have made it then not be a bedroom. I tried to argue with them over this, but they insist that they list all their homes like this. It definitley was a 3BR with office. Home is still sitting on the market, dropping in price every few months for the past year. I think buyers get disappointed when they think they are getting a nice sized 4br home and they realize they are getting scammed. House should be listed at a 3br price. How can realtors make up there own rules. To be a bedroom it has to be a certain sq ft, have a window and a closet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey