Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 04:00 PM

165 posts, read 430,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I am a library nerd! I love to read. Get a book called The Glass Castle, J. Wells you will love it. Its a memoir and its great!
I'll look for that book. Now, I am reading Bette Davis' biography - very interesting lady. I also recently read Louis Armstrong's biography - it was great!

As for the tragic stories on the petition, I know from my own experience that the longer you are unemployed, the more fragile your situation becomes. I always had emergency funds and was very frugal (I also read Susy Ormond books), but no one is prepared for, much less can imagine, a long-term situation such as this. I can't believe I have survived this far along. You're right, I know for sure that once I am in better shape again - I will definitely build an emergency fund and treat money very differently than I did before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2009, 04:25 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lady2 View Post
"I definitely signed the petition days ago and many times before. It is a good messure of support for us.
maybe im starting trouble but what good is a petition that one person signs many times?

i also want to point out the importance of staying in school.

Old 10-18-2009, 04:37 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,521,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koalabear View Post
I'll look for that book. Now, I am reading Bette Davis' biography - very interesting lady. I also recently read Louis Armstrong's biography - it was great!

As for the tragic stories on the petition, I know from my own experience that the longer you are unemployed, the more fragile your situation becomes. I always had emergency funds and was very frugal (I also read Susy Ormond books), but no one is prepared for, much less can imagine, a long-term situation such as this. I can't believe I have survived this far along. You're right, I know for sure that once I am in better shape again - I will definitely build an emergency fund and treat money very differently than I did before.
ohh I was not trying to make you feel bad. I get that people are long term unemployed and have ran thru their savings. Like I said this does not apply to everyone's situation.

By the way its a great book, you will love it!! The Glass Castle!! Please you will be reading it at the library and not be able to put it down. Its really a great book. I would love your opinion and have a few questions about it but first read it and then get back to me. If you need more good memoirs or books or bio. let me know I have a list. Tell me what interests you and I can point you to the book. I read everything from Pharmacology to home decorating. I am a dewey decimal system nut!!! I read three books at a time and have take out over 500- 600 books in 1 year.

Old 10-18-2009, 09:35 PM

114 posts, read 248,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
maybe im starting trouble but what good is a petition that one person signs many times?

The fact that the petition was signed multiple times caught my attention, too. Interesting to note when I followed the hyperlinks (to review comments that had been mentioned to read) a message came up prohibiting one from signing more than once....here it is cut and pasted:
**Thank you!You already signed this petition at 6:45 am PDT, Oct 17, 2009.**
Therefore, you can't sign more than once even if you wanted to... I guess one could go through the trouble of logging in via different accounts. (?) Now, I'm NOT suggesting that this is what was done at all just stating it seems probably impossible if "anyone" wanted to... And yes - education is key..I returned to school and completed 2 degrees after my kids were older and I got divorced. I love school and would appreciate returning for a masters and even doctorate..however at my age and in my field (Special Education) its not cost effective as far as what the pay raise would increase...pretty much an exercise in decadent enrichment at this point.. But I wholeheartedly agree to stay in school for at least an undergrad degree or complete trade a program,,
Good Luck ALL..

Old 10-18-2009, 11:05 PM

354 posts, read 946,219 times
Hey guys whats up? I will also check out that book Steve if you like it and recommend it I would imagine that it has to be pretty a pretty decent read. How many pages are we looking at? Not like that should matter its not like I have much on to do these days besides look for work. LOL

I also agree with you Steve on the fact that not if but when we are able to find work "Speaking for myself" it is a good idea to put away and develop your personal savings. I am in my young thirties as I have said before on the other thread but before this recession and our economy went to crap I honestly was thinking more like a 20 year old. Like I had my whole life ahead of me and I could start saving at anytime because you think when you are young like that that you have all the time in the world. But the reality is that you just might not, and there could always be something like this recession lurking around.

Also I wanted to say that CaptainNJ I could not agree with you more as well. Going to school and getting your education is so so so very important. Without an education your odds are really against you more so then if you attended college. Its not often that you get lucky and a great job falls into your lap. I only wish that I had stayed in school. I do however plan on going back sooner then later. I also have a 2 year old son and realize the importance in my son going. So I plan on setting up an account for his tuition. As well as both of his grand parents have done for him so atleast he is on the right track early in life. I never want him to be in this situation and want to provide every oppertunity to him.

For the record I also signed the petition. I am not sure how much good at this point it is going to do but you know what, what can it hurt? Its not like it took my afternoon away from me.

ONE MORE THING: I REALLY WANTED TO JUST SAY THANKS TO ALL OF YOU WHO ARE POSTING HERE AND I REALLY HOPE THAT THE CONVERSATION KEEPS UP. ITS NICE NOT TO BE MONITORED AS MUCH AND HAVE MORE FREEDOM OF SPEECH. TRY AND ENCOURAGE OTHER TO JOIN IN AS WELL IF YOU CAN. TALK TO YOU ALL SOON TAKE CARE AND HAVE A GOOD DAY TODAY.

Old 10-19-2009, 03:41 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,521,566 times
The Glass Castle is a memoir that is about 200 something probably pages or alittle more. Its about a women life and living with parents who are well thats where I would like your opinion. I find the parents very interesting. I dont want to give the book away, however its not your typical abuse, drug, or molestation book. The parents did not do this. They did something different to their children. I find the book great and have mixed feelings towards the parents. Its a great read and different!! I think you will like it.

Old 10-19-2009, 04:08 AM

114 posts, read 248,209 times
Sounds intriguing Marilyn!! Now I have to read it ) I just wrote a post and it didn't go through because of 'security token' - whatever does that mean. I wrote to the administrator. Not sure if this will work but for now waiting for progress this week, have a great day and Good Luck ALL!!

Old 10-19-2009, 09:34 AM

90 posts, read 189,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post

LOL ....I have signed the petition for other "important" issues not related to unemployment. I do my part??? By the way...."I" not "i"....LMAO If you're living in a glass house, donot throw stones.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:38 AM

34 posts, read 85,889 times
Hopefully this video will help get you through the day. It sure helped me. Breakfast

Old 10-19-2009, 09:49 AM

174 posts, read 622,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shilzz View Post
I created this Thread so new and former users can get information regarding UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFITS, EXTENSIONS and EB. To keep informed with what is going on with the latest proposed 4th extension (Tier 4). Also information on Lifting existing extensions cut off dates to December 2010. As well as sharing ideas and stories about how you are getting by in these difficult times.

We should probably mention the Share Work Plan for those who lost just part of their wages.
You can apply for those benefits if you work at least 30 hours a week and lost at least 20% of wages. If you do qualify for the full benefit under the work share plan you get about 220 every two weeks. This, again, is for those who work in NY. I'm sure this is also available in NJ.
New York State Department of Labor - Shared Work- The layoff alternative
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey