Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 03:04 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,680,213 times

Advertisements

the house im buying needs to have much of it painted (living room, dining room, laundry room, master bedroom, basement, 2nd floor hallway). i dont know anything about home improvement and my wife and her mother painted our last apartment. what are the general expectations for what a painter does? i believe the number of coats is an issue. i didnt give a lot of detail but i would love to get an idea of cost and how long it will take. the house is about 3k square feet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 03:38 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,142,152 times
Painting is about the easiest home improvement task you can do, as long as you have the time to commit to it. It sounds like you have a lot to do. Hiring professional painters is very expensive. I was once quoted over $700 to paint a small one bedroom apartment. Go to Home Depot or Lowes to find out how much paint you will need. It's usually about $20-25 per gallon. The number of coats needed will depend on how light or dark the walls currently are and how light or dark you want to paint them.

Old 10-20-2009, 05:02 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,806,384 times
It depends on the condition of the walls. Do they need any repairs? What color are they now?

Old 10-20-2009, 05:26 PM

the problem isnt only the amount of work to be done, but the paint goes up to high ceilings so it requires ladders and will be a pain for me to do.

the walls in everywhere but the bedroom are yellow and the bedroom is red. the walls are in good condition, the people took good care of it but we dont like the look. we will be going with some kind of off-white/beige color that we havent chosen yet.

Old 10-20-2009, 07:24 PM

78 posts, read 330,375 times
I am three weeks into repainting my house in hackettstown, built in 1970. All the woodwork has been painted a dark blue. Even using the best paint(Benj Moore) it took three coats to cover. Since my wife is very sensitive to odor I went with the no voc paint. Going from yellowto white will probably take two coats of good paint. If the ceilings do not need repainting cut in at the celing about 2 inches and then use a extension pole on the roller. Best when there is no furnitiure in the room.

Old 10-20-2009, 07:43 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,953,206 times
I can always tell when people paint their own houses because it usually looks like crap.

For colors, the best collection is the Benjamin Moore Historical Collection (HC).

Old 10-20-2009, 07:55 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,050,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
the problem isnt only the amount of work to be done, but the paint goes up to high ceilings so it requires ladders and will be a pain for me to do.

the walls in everywhere but the bedroom are yellow and the bedroom is red. the walls are in good condition, the people took good care of it but we dont like the look. we will be going with some kind of off-white/beige color that we havent chosen yet.
Scaffold for the high rooms.....makes the job much easier.

That red bedroom will be a b*tch! My FIL wanted his red truck painted white,
auto place painted it black, primed it and then painted it!

Our closet was painted deep pink. I put, at least, 3 coats of primer on those walls and the pink still bled through! After 3 coats of final paint colour, there is still a pink glow in there! I keep the closet doors closed!
Maybe, I should have taken FIL's advice and painted the closet black first!

Old 10-20-2009, 11:09 PM

1,184 posts, read 4,043,636 times
General expectations for a painter would be for a three-step process to take place. The painter should come in and walk the house with you, reviewing each room to identify nail pops, cracks, and any molding that may be damaged. S/he should then discuss paint colors for each room including the different types of paints to be used for moldings, walls, and ceilings. Keep in mind there may be different finishes for each part of the room and they will probably recommend an oil-based paint for the bathrooms. Once you identify the types of paint, the painter should be able to provide you a written estimate for the cost of prep work (repair of nail pops, cracks, etc.), the paint, estimated number of days and a window for the work to be completed. You should also make sure you known whether or not they will move the furniture in each room or if that is your responsibility. Last step is to actually paint the place.

In 2006, I had my townhome painted (~1,900 sq. ft.) for a little over $3K. If you want the contact info for the painter, PM me and I'll send it to you. I highly recommend her.

Old 10-21-2009, 09:22 AM

so you figure i get like 3 people to come over and give estimates? i want to do this job as soon after the closing date as possible so it can be done before any furniture is in and i can move in quickly.

Old 10-21-2009, 09:48 AM

835 posts, read 1,179,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post

Rollers and there is this gimicky pad that works really well too that can paint high walls. Works really well, they sell them at target/walmart and Home depot, I made sure not to put to much paint on the pad

http://www.as-seen-on-tv-reviews.net...p?prodID=12642
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey