Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2011, 11:23 AM

3 posts, read 5,553 times

Advertisements

Two 20-25 year old single women planning on moving to the Hoboken, Weehawken area for the summer and possibly longer. We want to find a safe area with easy access to NYC. I have researched quite a bit and it seems like those are safe areas with young people and plenty to do. It also seems like Weehaken may be the cheaper of the two areas. We will both be serving in restaurants and one of us might have an internship in Manhattan. We like to go out and have fun, but we do not do it very often. I have a dog so I would love to find a pet friendly area! We would love some reliable opinions/advice on our situation and these questions-

1. Which area seems like the best option for us?
2. My roommate said she made about $400 a week at a restaurant in the area last summer- is this realistic?
3. Rent looks like it will be anywhere from 1400-1900 for a two bedroom-will this be doable for two people serving at a restaurant? (Anyone with first hand experience in restaurants in the area?)
4. If so any suggestions on which restaurants to apply at? (We both have some experience and would love to meet/work with some people are age)

We would both really appreciate some advice and answers to these questions. Especially from anyone who has worked in restaurants in the area and know how much we should expect on making. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2011, 11:36 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,408,732 times
are you looking at restaurants and bars in Hoboken? there's lot of options. i'm not sure how easy it'd be to get into and out of hoboken on a restaurant schedule. you wouldn't want to be driving into hoboken. they are right next to each other, but it's not necessarily walkable depending on where you live and work.

hoboken is pricey though if you don't have a reliable wage.

Old 03-25-2011, 11:05 PM

1,202 posts, read 3,030,396 times
Hoboken would be the place to look for work in that field but Weehawken will certainly provide much cheaper rents. There's some buses though, and and the light rail depending on where you end up living/working (runs til around 1am i believe). Also a cab from Hoboken to Weehawken wouldn't be more than a few bucks.

Old 03-25-2011, 11:42 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,771,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadams897 View Post
2. My roommate said she made about $400 a week at a restaurant in the area last summer- is this realistic?
3. Rent looks like it will be anywhere from 1400-1900 for a two bedroom-will this be doable for two people serving at a restaurant? (Anyone with first hand experience in restaurants in the area?)
4. If so any suggestions on which restaurants to apply at? (We both have some experience and would love to meet/work with some people are age)

We would both really appreciate some advice and answers to these questions. Especially from anyone who has worked in restaurants in the area and know how much we should expect on making. Thanks!!
1. I wouldnt commit to much more then $650 per person considering neither of you have jobs lined up. Weehawken is probably more realistic, but if you can find something in that area in Hoboken, go for it.

2. you can make very good waitressing at a restaurant. much higher then 400 a week. I have a friend who works at an Applebees in the Suburbs and pulls in 600-700 a week. If you work at a decent place in Hoboken, I imagine you can do very well.

Old 03-26-2011, 11:04 AM

589 posts, read 1,221,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
1. I wouldnt commit to much more then $650 per person considering neither of you have jobs lined up. Weehawken is probably more realistic, but if you can find something in that area in Hoboken, go for it.

2. you can make very good waitressing at a restaurant. much higher then 400 a week. I have a friend who works at an Applebees in the Suburbs and pulls in 600-700 a week. If you work at a decent place in Hoboken, I imagine you can do very well.
Wouldnt this type of income require more then 40 hours a week though?

Old 03-26-2011, 11:08 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,078,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cee4 View Post
Wouldnt this type of income require more then 40 hours a week though?
Maybe, maybe not depending on restaurant. A lot of waiters work lunch through dinner for up to 10 hours. They might get 4 or 5 days a week. You could work 5 dinner services at a good restaurant and make $150 night pretty easily.

Old 03-26-2011, 02:47 PM

3 posts, read 5,553 times
thanks everyone! not sure about my roommate but i would definitely plan on working at least 20 hours if not 35 or 40 a week. i was also concerned with tansportation to and from work but it sounds like if we lived in weehawken and worked in hoboken we could take a train/bus to work and a cab home. these were all very helpful!

Old 03-26-2011, 03:43 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,953,111 times
for travel advice click here Hudson County Transit Map | Hudson TMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadams897 View Post
Two 20-25 year old single women planning on moving to the Hoboken, Weehawken area for the summer and possibly longer. We want to find a safe area with easy access to NYC. I have researched quite a bit and it seems like those are safe areas with young people and plenty to do. It also seems like Weehaken may be the cheaper of the two areas. We will both be serving in restaurants and one of us might have an internship in Manhattan. We like to go out and have fun, but we do not do it very often. I have a dog so I would love to find a pet friendly area! We would love some reliable opinions/advice on our situation and these questions-

Old 03-28-2011, 10:05 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,408,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenaperture View Post
Hoboken would be the place to look for work in that field but Weehawken will certainly provide much cheaper rents. There's some buses though, and and the light rail depending on where you end up living/working (runs til around 1am i believe). Also a cab from Hoboken to Weehawken wouldn't be more than a few bucks.
a cab from Hoboken to Weehawken would be at least $8 plus tip. possibly much more depending on where in Hoboken. that's more than a few bucks, and when living on a waitress or bartender's income, could take a nice chunk out of your daily pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: