Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 07:01 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkvidal View Post
hmmmm this road trip sounds very involved !!!!! did I mention I have a soon to be 2 year old?????
I think I will continue checking airfares and book him a window seat!!!!
Thanks all !!!!

Oh Lord...FLY, that's a long time in a car for a two year old. Even if you stop at night the baby will still be spending a good 8-10 hours or better in the car
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 10:52 AM

49 posts, read 196,926 times
My wife and I and the 2 kids,then 12 years old and our 4 "big" dogs in my wife's Ford Taurus Wagon.We made the drive in 2005 from Eatontown to start a new life. It took 3 days, making overnight stops for two nights at "pet friendly" motels. We arrived in Keller,Tx on the third day, in the late afternoon.The dogs definitely didn't enjoy the trip, being smushed up in the back of the car for three days. There was really no alternative except for sedating them and sending them by airplane ahead of us.It is not an experience we wish to repeat.

Old 11-20-2009, 11:32 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,935,547 times
I've done the drive to TN a couple of times with small kids. The ride down there is usually fun. Everything is new and exciting. However the ride back is where it gets really bad...everyone is cranky and just wants to get home. But don't worry too much - only the last eight hours or so are when you want to slit your wrists.

Old 11-20-2009, 11:51 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrero View Post
I've done the drive to TN a couple of times with small kids. The ride down there is usually fun. Everything is new and exciting. However the ride back is where it gets really bad...everyone is cranky and just wants to get home. But don't worry too much - only the last eight hours or so are when you want to slit your wrists.
Many more miles to Texas though

Old 11-20-2009, 01:48 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,935,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Many more miles to Texas though
Very true.......

Old 11-20-2009, 01:53 PM

11,345 posts, read 16,705,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ormand View Post
I am from NJ but live in TX. Dont take offense to this but I wouldnt ride a car in TX with a NJ or NY plate or you might get harassed or worse, and I am not kidding around. I would rather fly and rent a car with a TX plate and TX plate only.
Right.

The day I got to San Angelo with my son's car. Dumped the NJ plates for Texas plates.

Old 11-20-2009, 02:04 PM

563 posts, read 1,286,606 times
Sounds like fun for a road trip, just you and your spouse. But NOT with a 2 year old, are you kidding?

Old 11-21-2009, 08:28 AM

21 posts, read 79,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkvidal View Post
that's what I was thinking.... my husband wants to drive and take in the sights on the way to texas... I would rather just land there 4 hours later !!!!
I have done that drive many many many times. Depends on which way you decide to go, and what part of Texas you are planning to go to.

For scenery and seeing sites, I'd recommend going down the coast through VA, the Carolinas, Georgia, Louisiana, etc.

I usually go through PA, Ohio, Missouri, Oklahoma and then into northern Texas, but that is because I visit family along the way. It is a hideous long drive that way.

What part of Texas are you heading toward?

Old 11-21-2009, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatasNJ View Post
And lots of Corvette cops during that Virginia Stretch and I think radar detectors are illegal in that state.

Only worst stretch of drive I have done is across TX. If you take I-10 from Louisiana to Arizona it is painful. Especially around El Paso where is just sand.
Did you pass out in New Mexico? You can't get from Louisiana to Arizona without going through New Mexico.

And you are right -- I-10 is a hideous ride. However being able to go REALLY fast helps.

Old 11-21-2009, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatasNJ View Post
This is just plain stupid. I have done this trip with NJ plates several times and it never caused any harrassment. Jesus...
Thank you. I have too. One thing I will say though about driving in Texas is the drivers here are the WORST in the country. I really would rather drive to NYC than parts of Dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey