Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2009, 09:08 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,504,018 times

Advertisements

I know this is a hot topic but thought i would see what kind of replys i get. Whats the over-under when the New Jersey Real Estate market rebounds and we can recoup some of our investments in Real Estate.
How many more years? Will it ever rebound??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2009, 09:17 AM

4,287 posts, read 10,768,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscman View Post
I know this is a hot topic but thought i would see what kind of replys i get. Whats the over-under when the New Jersey Real Estate market rebounds and we can recoup some of our investments in Real Estate.

Not anytime soon... I would think NJ real estate has a ways more to decline before its all over.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:18 AM

195 posts, read 491,896 times
Prices won't return to their 06 peaks until at least the end of next decade. The deflationary winds are much too strong; credit has contracted back to historic norms, unemployment is around 10% and probably will tread to 11-12% in the next year or two, wages are being cut or frozen, and a mindset of frugality has returned.

What we saw earlier in the decade was ahistoric, not the norm; a bubble, like so many before it.

If you want to see a stark example, consider real estate in Japan, which 20 years after the crash they experienced is still around 1/2 it's value in the late 80's.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:32 AM

2,771 posts, read 6,275,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscman View Post
If the property is producing income, then you're recouping your investment each time a rent check comes in, and as long as you bought at a sensible price/rent ratio, then you're fine.

As for the market rebounding, won't happen any time soon. Unwinding of price support measures including tax credits and artificially low rates will put downward pressure on future prices and keep them stagnant for some time.

Prices are likely to be flat for the next 5 or so years, and then you're looking at a few more years of steady appreciation after that to return to 2006 levels.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:49 AM

1,057 posts, read 1,918,958 times
New Jersey real estate was also priced so high because of the high salaries of the area and the abundance of jobs here that made this a place where people wanted to move. Salaries are now much lower, and companies are moving out of New Jersey because land, facilities, taxes and employees cost less in other locations. While some locations are more tied to the NYC economy, locations that are tied to a "domestic" New Jersey economy are what I'm worried about.

One of the wealthiest areas of the state has been the Princeton area with all of the pharma around there. But one wonders what happens as those companies merge with others and the new bosses wonder why they're in New Jersey when costs are much less in North Carolina.

Old 11-22-2009, 11:58 AM

195 posts, read 491,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeradoDan View Post
New Jersey real estate was also priced so high because of the high salaries of the area and the abundance of jobs here that made this a place where people wanted to move. Salaries are now much lower, and companies are moving out of New Jersey because land, facilities, taxes and employees cost less in other locations. While some locations are more tied to the NYC economy, locations that are tied to a "domestic" New Jersey economy are what I'm worried about.

One of the wealthiest areas of the state has been the Princeton area with all of the pharma around there. But one wonders what happens as those companies merge with others and the new bosses wonder why they're in New Jersey when costs are much less in North Carolina.
Same goes for much of Morris County, with many of the the recent pharma mergers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey