Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 09:56 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,597,806 times

Advertisements

I understand this is politics...however, I want to hear from fellow New Jerseyans that are familiar with our state. Do you all think that the State Legislature will pass a Gay Marriage bill before Christie takes office? I understand Corzine will sign it if passed but several prominent Democrats are now unsure. Slightly more people in NJ favor gay marriage but there is a lot of opposition. What is the most likely scenario before Christie takes office?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 10:08 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,768,500 times
I doubt anything happens and I dont think anything should happen.

Put it before the voters if anything

Old 11-24-2009, 10:28 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,755,928 times
Personally I don't see what the problem is. Let the gay folk be as miserable as us hetero married folk.

(while the statement was meant to be funny, I have never understood the reason why so many people are against people wanting the same privileges and rights as everyone else.)

Old 11-30-2009, 03:34 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,638,963 times
The people, by and large, don't want this. It generally has to be forced on the people by an ultra-liberal state judicial authority, and then hastily passed by the legislature. In all the states in which it is legal - Massachusetts, Connecticut, Vermont, Iowa, and New Hampshire - it was not passed by popular support, but by a state court. You have already seen what the results will be when it is put to a popular vote anywhere. California and Maine struck it down. Any other state would do the same.

Old 11-30-2009, 11:27 AM

238 posts, read 729,082 times
We didn't want the bailout to happen and they passed it. We don't want the Copenhaguen treaty to happen; yet our dear president said he will be there, so must likely they will pass it. As far as gay marriage goes, I think it is a matter of time until they make it a reality.

Everything that "We the people don't want" they make sure they pass it! So, to you all gays waiting to be married, just be patience....it will happen.

Old 11-30-2009, 12:13 PM

1,340 posts, read 3,698,092 times
This country would probably still have slavery if it required a popular vote to ban it.
That is the worst argument ever.

It should be as simple as what is RIGHT. And if you think denying a person something due to a difference in sexual preference as right, than I feel sad for you!

Old 11-30-2009, 12:40 PM

631 posts, read 720,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
I doubt anything happens and I dont think anything should happen.

Put it before the voters if anything

I kinda agree with you, but my problem is in 1964 I bet certain states would have voted against the Civil Rights Act. Just because the people don't want it doesn't mean they are right.

Old 12-01-2009, 06:58 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,638,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatasNJ View Post
This country would probably still have slavery if it required a popular vote to ban it.
That is the worst argument ever.

It should be as simple as what is RIGHT. And if you think denying a person something due to a difference in sexual preference as right, than I feel sad for you!
We're not talking about right-wing extremists holding the nation hostage. We're talking about California and Maine, two solid blue states, who firmly rejected this by popular vote.

The worst argument ever is comparing slavery to being denied the right to have your union labeled "marriage". One involves physical bondage and abuse; the other is entirely symbolic and involves some hurt feelings. I have no sympathy for the gay community on this issue.

If New Jersey has enough respect for its citizens to put this to a popular vote, I will proudly vote against it.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:35 AM

636 posts, read 1,423,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
The people, by and large, don't want this. It generally has to be forced on the people by an ultra-liberal state judicial authority, and then hastily passed by the legislature. In all the states in which it is legal - Massachusetts, Connecticut, Vermont, Iowa, and New Hampshire - it was not passed by popular support, but by a state court. You have already seen what the results will be when it is put to a popular vote anywhere. California and Maine struck it down. Any other state would do the same.
It doesn’t matter what you or the people WANT. You do not have the right to deny two adults the right to marry. Just because a mob decides something doesn’t make it right. The 14th amendment agrees with this as well.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:37 AM

2,653 posts, read 5,961,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Michigan Man View Post
It doesn’t matter what you or the people WANT. You do not have the right to deny two adults the right to marry. Just because a mob decides something doesn’t make it right.
Indeed............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: