Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 04:45 PM

168 posts, read 424,989 times

Advertisements

Do you miss it? I moved to Northern Virginia to take a job in DC about a year ago and realize how much more I liked NJ (lived in Newark and Montclair). In NJ, I had NYC (a real city unlike DC) about 30 minutes or less away, and I had the shore in the summer. Here in the DC area, I didn't even get to go to the beach at all last summer. In NJ, I felt like there were interesting people and a lot more individuals. I felt like I could relate to people a lot better. Here in NOVA and DC, most people are either career driven workaholics that aspire to have a big house and 2.5 kids or be some kind of politician, or people that have no interest in talking to anyone for whatever reason. Most people like me work at least two jobs (although with a new job and cheaper rent, I was able to quit my second, but for how long is what I don't know) and struggle to make ends meet. For whatever reason people think that in NJ everyone is rude and standoffish, but I see that more with the condescending types down here. Down here it is like people want you to censor yourself almost because everyone tries to fit the nondescript professional image. People here have no personality. This area has absolutely no feel to it. In NJ and NYC, I know where I am, but down here people act like they are brainwashed or something. I also miss the culture and choice of all kinds of restaurants, nightlife, etc that NJ and NYC offer. Down here, good luck getting any kind of authentic food from places like Puerto Rico, Italy, Cuba, DR, etc. Only thing close is some overdone, overpriced Americanized trash.

So in general, I think in the next year NJ is one of the places I want to move to. Florida is my first choice, for the weather, beaches, quality of life and also because a lot of people from NJ and NYC are there along with similar demographical cross sections. But if that isn't a possibility, I am definitely considering coming back to North Jersey.

Old 12-02-2009, 08:42 PM

835 posts, read 1,180,902 times
florida!! dc is just as expensive as NJ/NY and the commuting is horrible

Old 12-02-2009, 09:35 PM

2,284 posts, read 3,940,157 times
You're going to have to suck it in like the rest of us.

Btw, there are no high paying jobs in Florida.

Old 12-02-2009, 09:35 PM

32,944 posts, read 36,386,492 times
At least you had a good training ground. DC/NoVA is tough, but thankfully you didn't move there from a small town in the Midwest.

"in NJ and NYC, I know where I am" Isn't it the truth. So many people in DC work for the central government and everyone has a secret to keep. Conversely, NY feeds off of and lives on Finance...or maybe fashion and food.

I can see how you would miss the lifestyle, the food, the beach.

Old 12-02-2009, 09:47 PM

96 posts, read 284,404 times
I made the mistake of moving to Florida from New Jersey without really researching it. The heat and humidity were too much for me so I retuned with an almost empty wallet.
Since you're in Northern Virginia, I'd suggest you head back to New Jersey (it's a shorter trip).
I don't think the quality of life is any better in Florida than it is in New Jersey, they both have their pro's and con's, but I'm personally much happier knowing what I am familiar with.
Good Luck with you decision.

Old 12-02-2009, 09:56 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,919,910 times
NoVa and the DC 'burbs in MD are the ultimate bedroom communities - even moreso than the North/Central NJ 'burbs. In New Jersey, many of the people were born and raised here while in D.C. they moved there purely for their job and just continued to live there. It's also an insanely expensive area, on par or even more expensive real estate than New Jersey.

One of my concerns with relocating to that area would be, as you said, the lack of a nearby beach. I don't even want to move out of the Shore area because I like the beach/bay at my fingertips. There isn't even a sensible weekend "commute" the ocean from D.C.

@JimCali - Some people enjoy hot weather year-round. I do. I actually really enjoyed the tropical climate when I lived in Florida, so I wouldn't advise people not to move there because of it. But like you said, there are pros and cons. Some people trash Florida as if it's hell on Earth and others talk about it as if it's the Emerald City where everything is perfect. Neither are true. Anyone who does their research and actually VISITS a place (other than being on vacation) should get a good idea of what it's like.

Old 12-02-2009, 10:23 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,657,284 times
I moved from NJ to Tampa about 5 years ago. Like VeradoDan said, you may like the heat and humidity. I am not a big fan of the heat/humidity. I am not crazy about the people of Florida either. If we wouldn't loose $50k on selling our house and had a job to go to, I would probably move my family back to NJ. My kids miss NJ too, even after 5 years. There are things I do like about down here. The beach, and year round activities. Though the summer is brutal to do anything outdoors. I like shopping without dealing with the massive crowds. Hummm. Not much else.

You should rent for one year down here and see if Florida is for you. I know several people from up north who have lived here for 15 - 20 years and would never leave. They love it! Though I know more people who hate it and feel stuck like myself.

Good luck finding a job! They are hard to come by.

Old 12-02-2009, 11:09 PM

27 posts, read 50,627 times
I would think very carefull about Florida,went down there 2 years ago,had been going for years for vacation,but to live? forget it! the non stop AC running from March to the middle of December,the high food prices,high everything prices,except houses & rentals.HIGH everything,low paying jobs,and you work to pay for high food and your electric bill.The schools were excellent,BUT no busses in half of the counties,the snakes,roaches always in the gas grill,in the house even with the pest control,the fire ants,we couldn't let the dogs out long at all,it was horrible,moved back up to NY,said forget this.
*** note*** Florida has lost over 1 million residents since January and they are crying about it,i wonder why? most people i met from up north,said they were going back!

Good Luck!

Old 12-02-2009, 11:27 PM

195 posts, read 492,060 times
I know I've brought this up in other threads, but man, it really seems that most New Jerseyans can only think of moving to Florida if they want out of NJ. OK, and maybe North Carolina. It baffles me, completely and utterly. At least nine out of ten posts that I read here which deal with moving (or having moved out of) from NJ lead to Florida.

Florida is extremely warm/hot year round, so if you like seasons and don't like hot weather, then why would you move there? And more to the main mystery itself, why don't folks from NJ consider other states? It's a big country, with many beautiful places to live. If you want out of NJ, why not consider areas other than Florida? Contrary to what many believe, the middle of the country is not a vast empty space, devoid of culture, fine dining, and career opportunities. Nor is it dominated by militias, KKK gangs, and people with missing teeth that only shop at Walmart and other ludicrous stereotypes portrayed on TV; not anymore than NJ is dominated by guidos and garbage dumps.

I just find it dizzying, when folks leave NJ for Florida, end up hating Florida, and then declare that since FL sucks (in their opinion), that the only possible place for them then, is back in NJ. Really? There's 48 other states out there, might it not just be possible that one or more of them might be a better fit for you than either NJ or FL?

Last edited by Citizen Chin; 12-02-2009 at 11:46 PM..

Old 12-03-2009, 05:03 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,391,239 times
We left NJ for North GA just over 2 years ago. Do I "miss" NJ? I can't say that I "miss" the state itself, no. I do miss some of the folks that I knew there, but we keep in touch via phone/email, and we visit +/- once a year. I miss good pizza and bagels, but that's not enough keep me in NJ.

I don't miss the absurd real estate prices, and even more absurd property taxes, though living in NoVa you're not seeing much of a difference from NJ's prices. I'm not a big beach-goer (got to the Jersey Shore less than once a year), so there's no loss there, and the only reason I ever went to NYC was for meetings for work, so I don't "miss" the proximity to NYC either.

Of course, some people can't live without access to the shore and NYC, a good pizza place on every corner, etc., so leaving NJ is harder for them. It all depends on what's important to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey