Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 10:16 PM

17,003 posts, read 12,583,387 times

Advertisements

$440 for hating oil that lasted 6 weeks. Electric was $190 for like 1040 KWH. Next one will be worse. (Colder and oil is going up)

68 degrees upstairs 66 degrees "finished" basement 24/7 for the crapshack I rent so not much going to be done to make this house less costly.

Friend was $800 for electric heat. Both Sussex Co.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 12:07 AM

22 posts, read 19,949 times
Mine's was $330 lol

Old 01-13-2010, 07:08 AM

38 posts, read 78,497 times
The condo I am renting now averages 125 - 150 a month in the winter for electric. No gas.
The home we are buying has gas heat and cooking which is a concern to me..........but it also has solar panels so it should really lower the cost of electric.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:03 AM

412 posts, read 1,326,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mumra View Post
just got my gas(pseg) bill yesterday $400, it sadly doubled from last months bill I almost vomited
Mine was the same thing, was shocked and I live in an apt.

Old 05-05-2010, 05:40 PM

3 posts, read 8,867 times
gas > $350 each month, somtimes topping $400 for 1200sf for two people who work days & only have it on at night.

pse&g inspector finally came (after a year+ of requesting it) and his tests concluded that we have been paying for the two units below us b/c our meter reader is reading the wrong meter each month. pse&g still hasn't adjusted our bill nor given us a credit and to boot, are threatening to shut off our gas.

Old 01-11-2012, 07:42 AM

1 posts, read 2,697 times
Pse&g electric rates are thru the roof..my bill for july and august was 500 just for electric...I do have 2 zones...we are going to try Gateway

Old 01-11-2012, 08:15 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
Well since this came back from the dead, I've been pleasently surprised this year with the mild weather and its effect on my gas bill. Just got December and it was 40% less than December last year and they listed the temperture difference as 15 degrees year over year, a huge change. On top of that they gave us some BGS refund that cut the bill in half. So, we were at $140 for gas last year, it came in at $80 this year and then we got a $40 refund. It was nice to see one of my budget items be grossly OVER projected for a change, lol.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:22 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Well since this came back from the dead, I've been pleasently surprised this year with the mild weather and its effect on my gas bill. Just got December and it was 40% less than December last year and they listed the temperture difference as 15 degrees year over year, a huge change. On top of that they gave us some BGS refund that cut the bill in half. So, we were at $140 for gas last year, it came in at $80 this year and then we got a $40 refund. It was nice to see one of my budget items be grossly OVER projected for a change, lol.
BGS refund?

Our utilities have been really low too - last month gas was 50% of what it was in Dec 2010.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:00 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
BGS refund?
It's actually BGSS, which stands for Basic Gas Supply Service. It is basically the supply side component of the bill, or the rate that the utility is actually purchasing the gas for. Under NJ law a regulated utility cannot make a profit on this charge, it must simply be passed through at the actual rate to the customers.

Occasionally the rates that are being charged are higher than what the utility is actually paying, so they have to initiate a refund to balance the charges. This came as a total surprise to me. I have South Jersey Gas and they have nothing on their site about it, but here is a quote from New Jersey Natural Gas that also has a BGSS refund active right now:

Quote:
NJNG is able to offer a temporary rate credit adjustment to BGSS residential and general service small sales customers using less than 5,000 therms annually as a result of recent lower wholesale natural gas prices, as well as improvements in NJNG’s meter reading and revenue processes. Since NJNG is a regulated utility, our BGSS price is set to cover only the cost of natural gas purchased for our customers with no markup on the wholesale price. NJNG makes no profit from this charge. We simply pass this cost through to our customers.

NJNG is implementing a temporary credit of $0.4419 per therm for natural gas used between December 1, 2011 and January 31, 2012. Instituting the credit now enables customers to save money immediately during winter heating months when bills are at their highest. A typical residential heat customer using 363 therms over the 2-month period will receive a total credit of approximately $160 in the bills for usage in December and January. NJNG continuously monitors the natural gas markets and makes every effort to reduce the impact of higher natural gas prices through our purchasing practices whenever possible.

Old 01-11-2012, 02:28 PM

158 posts, read 589,990 times
I can speak for natural gas but we're averaging mid 100s to over 200 for electric and just run basic appliances and a hot water heater.

However, yesterday, I got home to find an oil delivery receipt in my mailbox and I almost passed out. $500!

We started out with an empty tank and had it filled in two spurts - summer and fall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey