Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 09:29 AM

835 posts, read 1,180,582 times

Advertisements

State funnels $44M in additional aid to distressed N.J. cities | New Jersey Real-Time News - - NJ.com

Wish I could find that kind of money laying around
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 09:32 AM

73 posts, read 259,533 times
Cities become distressed because the middle class runs away as soon as recession creates unemployment. You'd find the money laying around if you were hungry, checking every crack in the sidewalk hoping to find a quarter for a buttered roll.

Mod cut

Last edited by Viralmd; 01-11-2010 at 10:40 AM.. Reason: NO personal attacks.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:20 AM

1,604 posts, read 3,886,187 times
The problem is, of the money going to Camden maybe 1/4 or 1/8 of it is actually going to the town.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:28 AM

155 posts, read 197,058 times
I think this is great, we should invest more into rebuilding the major cities of Newark, Camden, and Trenton. All these cities have great locations and have made huge strides into bettering themselves, with a little more help they can become great once again.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:32 AM

835 posts, read 1,180,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by siri View Post
Cities become distressed because the middle class runs away as soon as recession creates unemployment. You'd find the money laying around if you were hungry, checking every crack in the sidewalk hoping to find a quarter for a buttered roll.

Your arrogance is a disgrace.
But corzine and christie said the budget was broken and in debt , so how can a 44 million dollar surplus just show up? Corzine said the debt was so bad we had to increase sales tax 1% now 44 million shows up?

Old 01-11-2010, 11:02 AM

4,287 posts, read 10,769,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyPhanatic View Post
I think this is great, we should invest more into rebuilding the major cities of Newark, Camden, and Trenton. All these cities have great locations and have made huge strides into bettering themselves, with a little more help they can become great once again.
hahaha

no.

They are trash, and will always be trash.

NJ is in a major budget deficit. Much better uses for this money then wasting it on these ghettos

Old 01-11-2010, 10:22 PM

20,341 posts, read 19,930,346 times
Given NJ's history with throwing large sums of cash at it's troubles, it would be an interesting story if we could follow the money and and know how it was spent.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:53 AM

23,558 posts, read 17,232,713 times
Default precedent in NJ

NJ is the 'center of excellence' for creative accounting.

Open space funds are used for playgrounds in big cities and improving the African cat exhibits at Turtleback Zoo.

Dedicated funds marketed for the most empathetic reasons end up in the general fund.

The search for missing funds for several dedicated efforts have gone 'cold case' and have been stacked on the shelf along with Amelia Earhardt, flight 19 and Jimmy Hoffa's final resting place.

$$$ Donation to big cities appears to be NJ's own version of 'foreign aid' used in the hope that they will return the favor during elections. Time to pull the money plug in an effort to bring the patient back to a functional life. The infusion of money given in a dose of dollars to killograms/ years has been found to be ineffective and violates the ethic of 'first do no harm'.

Camden, Newark, Trenton, etc need to regain their business and residential prominance to become the jewels of the garden state. Throwing endless money at them is not the way to go.

Losing Federal aid would be a good start. Grants to expand the police force is equivalent to the first free dose of cocaine. Now your hooked and you need to pay for it. Can't figure who was copying whose business model.

A desire and a plan are needed to ressurect NJ's cities. Any money sent without specific intent and penny by penny tracking will essentially be burned in a 55 gallon drum used to keep warm while waiting for the promised global warming.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:47 AM

341 posts, read 679,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyPhanatic View Post
I agree.

Newark is definitely poised for a major rebirth. I was born and raised and still live in this great city and I have witnessed the post-riot bleakness of the early 1970's. I remember when burnt-out abandoned cars on cinder blocks dotted the landscape of the central ward. I remember what the corner of Springfield and Bergen looked like then also. That same corner now has an Applebee's and a Home Depot not far away. That famous corner is light-years away from where it was in July of 1967. There are success stories like this all around Newark. Newark has had a major reduction in violent crime since Booker was elected. While he is not perfect, Booker is exactly what this city needed and I think this new decade is Newark's time to shine.

When people call Newark a hopeless ghetto all it proves is that they have absolutely no idea what goes on in this city, probably do not know anyone who lives here, and never even step foot inside of it. People who live in and/or frequent Newark know all of the positive things that have been happening here.

I welcome the money that is going to be pumped into NJ's urban centers. Now that Newark has more responsible leadership, the money will have a better chance at getting to where it needs to be.

I don't understand why angry posters feel the need to constantly pop-up on threads about Newark and call the city names insensitive names like "ghetto" (we all know who they are {hint ~ look up a few posts}). I will not dignify him by quoting his username because he is either a troll or has a case of jungle fever.

Old 01-12-2010, 01:46 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,521,566 times
I cant believe what I just read. How SELFISH of this CORSLIME!! I mean its just plain out selfish. Im disgusted. Can wait for this Christie to get in !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey