Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 08:18 AM

5 posts, read 19,796 times

Advertisements

Hello! I've lived in Brooklyn all my life, and can't wait to get out of here. My family and I have been looking to move out of state for the past, well lets say for a very long time now. I've tried to research through internet and word of mouth, it's always a dead end and very confusing. This months new adventure is NJ. Does anyone have any information that can help lead me in the right direction. Schools, health, and obvious safety, also low taxes are very important. Everyones all American dream, right? I know it's out there, I just have to find it!!! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2007, 08:06 PM

29 posts, read 163,129 times
I live and work down here...so I have to plug Burlington & Camden Counties. Away from the hustle and bustle of NY, reasonable home prices and close to Philly. There are many towns to choose from...all depends where you'll be working

Old 05-16-2007, 08:23 PM

11,342 posts, read 16,697,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmc7 View Post
Hello! I've lived in Brooklyn all my life, and can't wait to get out of here. My family and I have been looking to move out of state for the past, well lets say for a very long time now. I've tried to research through internet and word of mouth, it's always a dead end and very confusing. This months new adventure is NJ. Does anyone have any information that can help lead me in the right direction. Schools, health, and obvious safety, also low taxes are very important. Everyones all American dream, right? I know it's out there, I just have to find it!!! Thanks!
So close and yet so far.

Low taxes aren't going to happen in NJ compared to Brooklyn.

Old 05-16-2007, 09:53 PM

20,329 posts, read 19,917,068 times
Low taxes? Forget about that.

Great place to live? Sussex County.

Old 05-16-2007, 11:31 PM

5 posts, read 32,097 times
Some areas of South Jersey have houses priced pretty high, our gas prices are off the wall, car insurance here is outrageous. Some good areas - are you looking for small city area or more rural? House taxes pretty high too.

Old 05-17-2007, 12:33 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,367,242 times
Yeah I think City taxes will be cheaper than just about any half-decent town in NJ. Even crummy cities in NJ have high taxes.

You can find a lot of towns with excellent schools and low crime, but you definitely end up paying for it with higher property taxes.

Old 05-17-2007, 01:22 AM
ehs

341 posts, read 2,297,138 times
Don't worry too much of property tax since there is going to be 20% cut. Besides, property tax is income tax deductible.

I have found New Brunswick may be a good choice, especially, it has easy train access just in case you need to go back to Brooklyn to visit your relatives and friends, and, in fact, you will. If not, they will visit you, and don't forget they may not drive, so near train station is very important for new yorker to start.

Why New Brunswick? good price, and there is several huge plan to turn the city down side up... e.g. you see the newly renovation of Rt 18 pass by New Brunswick. So great! all traffic lights gone!!! Many brand new bldg finished, many nice apartments, and if you buy a little bit outside, you will find very good price, and New Brunswick is a city but pretty walkable.

It also has nice Rutgers Univ that has lots of activity, every week has nice high quality concerts, mostly free. Football game, basketball games ...etc. and several "research university hospitals" in town, good for your kids and parents.

School wise, there is a brand new charter school that you should be able to find it. If you happen to be still working at NYC, you can have easy and straight forward commute.

Old 05-17-2007, 03:04 AM

20,329 posts, read 19,917,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehs View Post
Don't worry too much of property tax since there is going to be 20% cut. .
We're not getting a "tax cut". Our politicians sold us a bill of goods with all of their theatrics over the budget.

We're getting up to a 20% rebate this year.

Of course, where is that money coming from since NJ is in debt?

Old 05-17-2007, 06:13 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,933,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehs View Post
Don't worry too much of property tax since there is going to be 20% cut. Besides, property tax is income tax deductible.

Ha ha ha. You must be new to NJ.

Old 05-17-2007, 06:36 AM

8 posts, read 57,071 times
TAX CUT ????
There are no tax cuts or deals in jersey. We are voted as the top taxes and the highest car insurance rates in the country. We are running out of room so they've gotta tax you right right outta your home and move to Pennsylvania. The NYC people come to jersey and then later on they will move to penn. too.. Just a cycle.
If your hoping for tax cuts..please do me a favor and hold your breath for that one.
We need the space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey