Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 11:00 AM

8 posts, read 89,626 times

Advertisements

Relocating to New Jersey and have no idea where to move to. I will be working in Manhattan and my wife will be working in basking ridge. We are not familiar with New Jersey and are quite confused as to where to relocate to. we would prefer relying on public transportation for our commutes (if possible). Safety of the neighborhood and ease of commute are our primary concerns. we do not have any children. Any and all advice will be very much appreciated. Thank you for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2007, 01:26 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times
Well, you're not going to find any public transportation serving Basking Ridge, so your wife should plan on driving to work. That being said, are you interested in an urban setting, or something more suburban? There's lots of choices that are fairly convenient to both NYC and Basking Ridge.

Bob

Old 05-26-2007, 04:35 PM

4 posts, read 34,470 times
try cranford. best area ive ever lived and 17 miles from nyc. safest community, best schools, walk to downtown and train to nyc.

our house is currently for sale:

MLS listing for New Jersey @ For Sale By Owner.com (http://www.forsalebyowner.com/listing/A495A - broken link)

email me with any questions.

mindsmack@gmail.com

Old 05-26-2007, 06:35 PM

thank you very much for your help. we are interested in a more urban setting. interested in hearing your suggestions. the nj transit website has one train line that serves basking ridge. is this a reasonable option for us? once again, thank you.

Old 05-27-2007, 05:17 PM

The problem is getting from the train station to the office- Basking Ridge is not a walkable community. Your office could be miles from the station.

Old 05-28-2007, 06:28 PM

I will work in Manhattan and my wife will work in Basking Ridge. We are desperately trying to find a community that provides the best possible commute for us. would like to rely on public transportation but willing now to drive to basking ridge.

if we end up relying on public transportation, we are thinking about buying a cheap car and just using it to commute to and from the train station. So this is still a viable option for us.

Although, we are now considering driving to work in basking ridge as well. However, we want to keep the driving time down to ~ 40 minutes. If this is the case, I will end up taking public transportation into Manhattan for work and she will drive to basking ridge. Are there any communities that you recommend that will allow us to do this?

As always, appreciate all of your help and advice.

Old 05-29-2007, 05:15 AM

There are plenty of communities within 40 minutes of Basking Ridge and close to public transportation to NYC. A lot wil depend on your price range, but if you're looking for an urban setting, you can figure on spending $500k+ to buy, or $1500+ to rent.

Bob

Old 05-29-2007, 05:30 PM
ehs

341 posts, read 2,296,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhenlee View Post
I will work in Manhattan and my wife will work in Basking Ridge. We are desperately trying to find a community that provides the best possible commute for us. would like to rely on public transportation but willing now to drive to basking ridge.

if we end up relying on public transportation, we are thinking about buying a cheap car and just using it to commute to and from the train station. So this is still a viable option for us.

Although, we are now considering driving to work in basking ridge as well. However, we want to keep the driving time down to ~ 40 minutes. If this is the case, I will end up taking public transportation into Manhattan for work and she will drive to basking ridge. Are there any communities that you recommend that will allow us to do this?

As always, appreciate all of your help and advice.
Wow! You may also fit our wonderful Edison Hollow South Condo complex that is 5 min walk to Edison Train Station, and less than 40 minutes drive since Basking Ridge Fwy 287 exit is 26 and Rt 529 at Fwy exit 6 (i.e. 20 miles)

As I just searched for EHS Community Blog, there are 3 condo available for rent, you may give Danny, EHS Board of Trustee, a call at 908 635-2037 (cell).

As to used car, you may find one at craigslist.org I am driving a Toyota Corolla 1990 with over 160,000 miles, and it is great! So, you may just spend $1,000 or so to get one. newer year is fine. The tip I got is Tracy's husband Peter who used to live at ehs 1402 was Toyota Senior Mechenics, and give him a call 917 669-8209 (cell) to check it out the used car before you buy.

My car did not pass DMV inspection many years ago and was placed a red label, but Peter got it all passed by replacing a catalyst converter, and it passed again last year, it seems I can drive for another year!! (in NJ, DMV inspect every TWO years).

If you need to buy brand new furniture, you can give Jose at ehs 1404 a call 732 979-9100 who is working at furiture warehouse and very good neighbor, he can help you to obtain nice new furniture at warehouse price. and before you get a car, he can give you a ride too.

And you can rent a car at Enterprise off Rt 27 Edison, they will come to pick you up to their office do paper and choose a car, and when you return, they will send you back. So, virtually, nothing to worry!

Old 09-03-2007, 02:42 PM

1 posts, read 12,385 times
We live in Basking Ridge and head to NYC every day. We drive to the lot in Lyons, and take the Lakeland bus into NYC...simple and easy. If you want to save $$$, drive down the hill to Westfield or Scotch Plains, park free on the sreet and take NJ Transit bus...half the price until Lakeland becomes part of NJT (in the works).

Old 10-03-2007, 12:42 PM

1 posts, read 12,258 times
Hi!

I'm in the same situation - husband studying in NYC and I'll be working in Basking Ridge.

We are planning to live in NYC and I'll be travelling every day by train.... but, I do have a question: How can I get from the Train Station to the following address: Mt. Airy Road?

Only by cab?

The "Plan B" could be living in a city in the middle of Basking Ridge and NY, then I could drive to Basking Ridge and my husband go to NYC by train. But, another question: are the roads too dangerous in the winter?

I should go to the USA in January and being there until March, 08.
But, I'm not used to drive in snowy weather... I'm worried about driving a a "iced road"...

Please, let me know your thoughts!!

Thank you!
Priscila.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey