Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 07:55 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,749,261 times

Advertisements

Where it was posted no right on red. The cop was very nice and said I should go to court and talk to the prosecutor. Although he didn't say so I suspect he was telling me I may be able to get it changed to an offense that does not carry points. Has any done this? How does this work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 08:08 PM

555 posts, read 1,653,845 times
Go to court... the prosecutor will speak to everyone before going in front of the judge... generally speaking, if you don't have a bad offense or bad driving history, they'll offer you a careless driving type plea... it'll be 0 points so you'll save on insurance but the fine is generally hefty ($400). You'll pay more cash to the courts but save money on your insurance premiums... everyone wins except the insurance company.

Old 02-19-2010, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemmert View Post
Go to court... the prosecutor will speak to everyone before going in front of the judge... generally speaking, if you don't have a bad offense or bad driving history, they'll offer you a careless driving type plea... it'll be 0 points so you'll save on insurance but the fine is generally hefty ($400). You'll pay more cash to the courts but save money on your insurance premiums... everyone wins except the insurance company.

Thanks, do you know how the process works?

Old 02-19-2010, 08:29 PM

249 posts, read 753,820 times
I got a speeding ticket a few months back. Cop told me to go to court to get it reduced to no points, but a bigger fine. It's a way for the town to make more money.

Go to court, the prosecutor will call you up and you speak to him before the judge even comes out. He checks your record, asks you a few questions and then tells you what he will recommend to the judge. The one in the town I got my ticket in said that he has never had the judge say no with the decision. The judge comes out, calls you back up, asks if you are in agreement with what the prosecutor just told him, you say yes and then they send you to the cashier to pay your hefty fine.

For my ticket, they dropped the charge to careless driving which was a no point violation instead of the two points I would have gotten with the speeding ticket. I ended up paying a little over $400 that day.

The courtroom was overflowing the day I was there and I ended up being there for about 3 hours. The judge first spoke via video satellite with people being held at the county jail, then called up the people that had attorneys with them.

Old 02-19-2010, 08:30 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,859,501 times
what i question is how much you think your insurance premiums are really going to go up...and what is your time worth. skipping work to show up to court, etc.

Old 02-19-2010, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccnj View Post
I got a speeding ticket a few months back. Cop told me to go to court to get it reduced to no points, but a bigger fine. It's a way for the town to make more money.

Go to court, the prosecutor will call you up and you speak to him before the judge even comes out. He checks your record, asks you a few questions and then tells you what he will recommend to the judge. The one in the town I got my ticket in said that he has never had the judge say no with the decision. The judge comes out, calls you back up, asks if you are in agreement with what the prosecutor just told him, you say yes and then they send you to the cashier to pay your hefty fine.

For my ticket, they dropped the charge to careless driving which was a no point violation instead of the two points I would have gotten with the speeding ticket. I ended up paying a little over $400 that day.

The courtroom was overflowing the day I was there and I ended up being there for about 3 hours. The judge first spoke via video satellite with people being held at the county jail, then called up the people that had attorneys with them.
Thanks, just the info I was looking for.

Old 02-19-2010, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
what i question is how much you think your insurance premiums are really going to go up...and what is your time worth. skipping work to show up to court, etc.

I would prefer not to find out. I haven't had a ticket in 25 years!

Old 02-19-2010, 09:04 PM

5,771 posts, read 16,584,927 times
When Gov Jim McG first started this "program" they let you take this 2 times in 5 years but recently,last year, I was in a courtroom and a NJ judge mentioned they only let you do this twice now, no 2 times in 5 years anymore.

IF you have any other "out" you might play your cards otherwise. BTW the insurance companies do see a charge of "unsafe driving" 0 points, IF they bother to look, but for many you can explain it away, claim you where parked, etc.

Old 02-21-2010, 06:11 AM

587 posts, read 2,178,314 times
What happened to morality in the country? You admit to doing wrong but don’t want to accept the consequences.

Old 02-21-2010, 06:23 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,947,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccnj View Post

How much over the speed limit were you going when you got nailed?

I had a similar experience with an overflowing court. The trick is to get there early, well before the assigned time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey