Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 02:33 PM

387 posts, read 616,419 times

Advertisements

Thanks to Twista606 and Amru...

Iam posting this in the interest of those who might be surfing for information on these towns. From the time I posted we went and looked at Society Hill, River Walk at Clifton, Nutley, Boatworks in Bayonne, something commons in Clifton.

We dropped Society Hills, because of the neighbourhood and how is shows on the outside. The complex inside is great, easy to get into the city. Dont know about the schools and I dont think the taxes are that high as compared to say Nutley.

River Walk - Far too closely stacked (even for a townhome community) and they dont have basements.

Boatworks - Found out from the Realtor they had a flood situation last year. Basements had a couple of inches of water. Besides which Bayonne seemed too dull even though it shares such close proximity to NYC. The view pf NJ port from the Boatworks community is an eye sore. The units are newer, with better quality fitments on the inside. But the smell of water and the sight of docks were a show stopper.

I cant remember the name of the community in Clifton but really new houses, spacious....biggest of all the ones listed above. Good quality material used. But then the layout is designed for a vertical living space than horizontal. So when you say you are moving from one room to another you are essentially climbing stairs.

Nutley - Taxes are killing the fun of getting in (and I mean they went from absurd to plain ridiculous). The tax comes to $1000 per month. Let me put it in perspective. Say if you bought a house for 450,000 in Jan 2010. It would cost you an additional 12,000 each year to own it just by way of taxes. Add utilities + mortgage and you will get the picture!!!! So the property has to appreciate a min of $12,000 "each year" for us to avoid a loss for owning a house!!!

We didnt buy it as investment but I guess its reasonable to expect that you wont incur a loss in $$ for being a home owner!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2010, 02:35 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,856,553 times
You didn't like Bayonne?

Old 08-15-2010, 06:45 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,008,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollingon View Post
Thanks to Twista606 and Amru...

Iam posting this in the interest of those who might be surfing for information on these towns. From the time I posted we went and looked at Society Hill, River Walk at Clifton, Nutley, Boatworks in Bayonne, something commons in Clifton.

We dropped Society Hills, because of the neighbourhood and how is shows on the outside. The complex inside is great, easy to get into the city. Dont know about the schools and I dont think the taxes are that high as compared to say Nutley.

River Walk - Far too closely stacked (even for a townhome community) and they dont have basements.

Boatworks - Found out from the Realtor they had a flood situation last year. Basements had a couple of inches of water. Besides which Bayonne seemed too dull even though it shares such close proximity to NYC. The view pf NJ port from the Boatworks community is an eye sore. The units are newer, with better quality fitments on the inside. But the smell of water and the sight of docks were a show stopper.

I cant remember the name of the community in Clifton but really new houses, spacious....biggest of all the ones listed above. Good quality material used. But then the layout is designed for a vertical living space than horizontal. So when you say you are moving from one room to another you are essentially climbing stairs.

Nutley - Taxes are killing the fun of getting in (and I mean they went from absurd to plain ridiculous). The tax comes to $1000 per month. Let me put it in perspective. Say if you bought a house for 450,000 in Jan 2010. It would cost you an additional 12,000 each year to own it just by way of taxes. Add utilities + mortgage and you will get the picture!!!! So the property has to appreciate a min of $12,000 "each year" for us to avoid a loss for owning a house!!!

We didnt buy it as investment but I guess its reasonable to expect that you wont incur a loss in $$ for being a home owner!!!
Congratulations!! You finally figured out what 99% of homeowners already know - a home is not an investment, it's a place to live in and there are costs involved in living there. Do yourself a favor, if you took out a mortgage to buy your place, add up all the payments you would have to make from month 1 until termination, now subtract out your initial borrowed amount, what's left the amount of interest you paid over the term of the mortgage. Now take the total interest and multiply by 75%, that is the amount of the money you "threw out" the window to buy your place. The other 25% is the amount of your deductions allowed on your tax return - remember a deduction is a partial reduction in taxes owed to Uncle Sam and Cousin Christie, a credit is a dollar for dollar reduction in your liability - there is no such thing as a mortgage interest credit. So in addition to your $1,000 a month add in the cost of the interest, now you have to have your property appreciate doubly so - just for you to "breakeven".

Rollingon - would you rather pay $5,000 a year in taxes, but hear gunshots go off in your backyard, or god forbid have to take the bus to work because the "train" is not available anywhere in your immediate vicinity, or have it take 3 hours to get to work and back home, each way?
How about the schools and your general quality of life?? Paying taxes is not fun, but you have to be somewhat realistic - make sure you vote NO at each election where they ask you Mr. Taxpayer to approve increases - It doesn't matter what kind, an increase in any budget, is a vacum hose attached to your wallet, just waiting for the "on" switch to be flipped as you hear that great big sucking sound of your money being ripped out into the jaws of Government - just say "NO".

Old 08-15-2010, 08:50 PM

551 posts, read 1,188,447 times
Its saddening you only considered Boatworks in Bayonne... there's a whole side to the north! Bayonne would have been my pick against Nutley which is a town of psychos.. (literally)

Old 08-16-2010, 10:19 AM

381 posts, read 1,309,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonorityGenius View Post
Its saddening you only considered Boatworks in Bayonne... there's a whole side to the north! Bayonne would have been my pick against Nutley which is a town of psychos.. (literally)
Explain? We may be moving to Nutley.

Old 08-16-2010, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninasimonejr View Post
Don't listen to that poster, the only psycho is SonorityGenius.

Old 08-16-2010, 11:09 AM

381 posts, read 1,309,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post
Don't listen to that poster, the only psycho is SonorityGenius.
Thank you.

Old 08-16-2010, 11:21 AM

If you have any ? about the town, DM me. I'll tell you the g,b and u.

Old 08-19-2010, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
You didn't like Bayonne?
It was not a question of like or dislike of Bayonne as a place. Location and proximity to NYC (given the light rail) it was my personal favourite. But we were looking for a newer (2000 and later) townhome in a gated community. We didnt see much available beyond Boatworks given our parameters above. The smell of the water and the sight of the docks killed it right there. "NOW" if Boatworks was located where the new development on the peninsula is taking place, I would have bought it in a hearbeat.

Last edited by Rollingon; 08-19-2010 at 07:57 AM..

Old 08-19-2010, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninasimonejr View Post

The only nut jobs are the ones who arrive at the property tax figures . Rest from what I have seen in my little time spend here are sane, working, american families. Lots of folks working in Finance and related professions in NYC. Others who own businesses in and around Nutley. Prosperous community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey