Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 04:35 PM

27 posts, read 100,737 times

Advertisements

Is it diverse? Looking for the good and the bad of this area... any info you can provide will be appreciated. Im thinking of putting an offer on a house. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2012, 05:34 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,452,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getzit View Post
Is it diverse? Looking for the good and the bad of this area... any info you can provide will be appreciated. Im thinking of putting an offer on a house. Thanks!

Parsippany and Morris Plains are two different municipalities....can you please specify which town the house is in so we can give you accurate info?

Old 09-02-2012, 10:28 PM

The house I'm interested in is in Parsippany but has a Morris plains mailing address. It's near 202 and rt. 10. Thx

Old 09-03-2012, 07:42 AM

265 posts, read 597,191 times
Right near my office... it is a great area. Homes are well kept. As a Realtor, I cannot comment on diversity. I am sure you can find this info at a local house of worship, the web or from someone who won't lose his license from commenting about this subject.

Is it an attractive area? Yes. If I was in that market, would I buy (at the right price), yes.

Old 09-03-2012, 01:55 PM

Quote:
The house I'm interested in is in Parsippany but has a Morris plains mailing address. It's near 202 and rt. 10. Thx

Parsippany is a quite diverse community, the 2010 census reported the racial make up of the twp to be 62% white, 3.5% African American, .17% Native American, 29% Asian and 8% Hispanic/Latino It is my understanding that those identifying as Asian are primarily of Asian Indian background, although there certainly are a number from other Asian countries (Japan, China, etc.)

The area the house you are looking at is nice, no trouble with flooding, which is mostly confined to the Lake Hiawatha area of Parsippany. I would be remiss if I did not also mention that there are some things that you should be aware of about the town. My first concern is the school system....to be perfectly honest, the schools are overcrowded and woefully under functioning. They have not been able to meet the federal minimum standards guidelines for No Child Left Behind for several years, and if it wasn't for an exemption granted they would have lost federal funding. State funding has also been at risk lately. Even if you do not have kids, or are not planning to send your kids to the public schools, this does certainly affect your ability to re sell your home as well as the value. Another concern is with snow plowing. I have a friend who lives not far from the home you are looking at, also in Parsippany, just north of rt 10 and east of rt 53 who constantly complains about the lack of street clearing in her neighborhood and the trouble getting to their home once they leave the state cleared roads (rte 10 & 53) whenever it snows.

KoalaNJ

Old 09-03-2012, 09:42 PM

Thanks so much for your replies!!

Old 10-15-2012, 09:04 AM

Schools can't be to bad the highschool is ranked #23 out of over 300 schools, beating out schools like Livingston, ridgewood, Ramsey, northern valley, Wayne valley and pascack valley amongst others...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoalaNJ View Post
Parsippany is a quite diverse community, the 2010 census reported the racial make up of the twp to be 62% white, 3.5% African American, .17% Native American, 29% Asian and 8% Hispanic/Latino It is my understanding that those identifying as Asian are primarily of Asian Indian background, although there certainly are a number from other Asian countries (Japan, China, etc.)

The area the house you are looking at is nice, no trouble with flooding, which is mostly confined to the Lake Hiawatha area of Parsippany. I would be remiss if I did not also mention that there are some things that you should be aware of about the town. My first concern is the school system....to be perfectly honest, the schools are overcrowded and woefully under functioning. They have not been able to meet the federal minimum standards guidelines for No Child Left Behind for several years, and if it wasn't for an exemption granted they would have lost federal funding. State funding has also been at risk lately. Even if you do not have kids, or are not planning to send your kids to the public schools, this does certainly affect your ability to re sell your home as well as the value. Another concern is with snow plowing. I have a friend who lives not far from the home you are looking at, also in Parsippany, just north of rt 10 and east of rt 53 who constantly complains about the lack of street clearing in her neighborhood and the trouble getting to their home once they leave the state cleared roads (rte 10 & 53) whenever it snows.

KoalaNJ

Old 10-15-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Schools can't be to bad the highschool is ranked #23 out of over 300 schools, beating out schools like Livingston, ridgewood, Ramsey, northern valley, Wayne valley and pascack valley amongst others...

At the time the response was written Parsippany Hills HS was ranked 50, not 23. I stand by my comments and concerns about the schools...especially since if they had not received special dispensation from the feds, they would have lost federal funding and possible accreditation due to their schools poor performances and non compliance with guidelines of the NCLB Act, having failed to meet the minimum standards for several years now. The overcrowding of classrooms has also been an issue for some time.

KoalaNJ

Old 10-15-2012, 01:45 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,976,235 times
Quote:

Sounds like you bought it?

Old 10-15-2012, 03:01 PM

Yes, I close later this month. Moving from Bergen to morris county. Way more bang for your buck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey