Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 01:06 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,116,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxgarden View Post
Don't forget to check for a federal tax rebate for upgrading the windows.
Is there a tax credit for windows, doors, and skylights? (http://energystar.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/energystar.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=5760 - broken link)
You may also be able to get a low-interest loan for the project, particularly if you're replacing older single pane windows.
New Jersey : Welcome to Energy Finance Solutions
You have to use a certified contractor. I used a similar program here in Tennessee and really liked it. The loaning agency comes out and inspects the work before releasing the money to the contractor. Unless that inspection says everything is perfect, they don't get paid.
Thanks for those links. The tax credit is a huge incentive. We know that we'll have to replace them at some point so it makes sense to do it while this credit is in effect. I think we're going to be able to cover it with our return from this year, but I will check out this info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2014, 08:52 PM

1 posts, read 1,631 times
I did a lot of research and found that there is plenty to learn when looking for replacement windows. We moved into a home 7 years ago and replaced all the windows with a typical vinyl brand that was priced about 375 per window. Well, i can tell you we were'nt very happy. The windows do leak air and the windows are starting to warp. Our contractor did a great job with the install, he just chose a cheap window. Although, we did tell him we were on a budget so its really our fault. So, after 7 years we are now doing the project again even though we should of done it 5 years ago. Its now basically costing us double.
We are looking at high end vinyl, they seem to be the most energy efficient, air tight, and have the best structural integrity. From doing research and looking at brands. We found Okna Windows, Soft Lite, sunrise, and another brand called quantum by kensington. You need to contact a dealer, these windows are not sold in stores. They were all solid and we are now deciding which to go with. From getting quotes, it seems a good quality window will cost at least $500 installed. Thats actually cheap based on what we did, we paid 375 seven years ago and are now doing it again..Ouch !!!!
My suggestion, stay far away from those companies that advertise 189 per window and claim they buy in bulk: thats nonsense. Also stay away from silverline, pella vinyl, and MI windows. Total junk from what i saw and they also look very cheap. The other brands i mentioned actually look very nice even though they are vinyl.
Usually a company that installs higher end products care about their customers so you are likely to get a good installation. New Jersey is cold so a good window is much more important that i thought. Im originally from a warmer area but now Jersey is my home.
Good luck. .

Old 11-16-2014, 08:58 PM

260 posts, read 326,192 times
Do it yourself. Although 1 will be fun, but 14 would get redundant.

Old 11-17-2014, 11:20 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,864,923 times
Four year old thread. Everyone please stop. Just create a new one if it's that important to you.

Old 08-25-2016, 08:25 AM

1 posts, read 1,179 times
a good vinyl window will cost more than $400 installed. anything lower than that and you are wasting your money on cheap looking garbage.
i did quite a bit of research and saw a bunch of different window samples. the garbage they sell at home depot and lowes are cheap looking and flimsy. same thing with the company that claims they install windows for 189.
the good quality vinyl windows i saw were Okna windows, soft lite, sunrise, and vytex .
all of these brands look nice and have great energy efficience numbers.
they also feel like quality when you operate them.
i also learned that the higher end vinyl windows perform much better and last longer than wood windows.

Old 08-25-2016, 11:22 PM

289 posts, read 608,059 times
As others have suggested, you need to attack this in two ways- Type/Cost of the Window and Labor Cost. Not all windows are created equal and because Window installation is expensive, you want to get good windows, which will last you 15 to 20 yrs, maybe even longer. I have used Royal Aluminum of Newak, NJ for my rentals. They had decent windows at a very reasonable price. I have had them for over 5 yrs now and they have been flawless. I have also heard good things about Okna Windows.

Old 04-08-2017, 01:38 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,747,665 times
Bumping this thread. I am getting a bunch of quotes. Right now it seems to be down to Okna 800 series double hung and MI Windows 1650 Extreme. Price is about the same in both cases. And the specs seem to be about the same maybe slightly better from what i can tell for the MI Windows. However, from reading comments in this forum and elsewhere, people dont seem to be too fond of the MI windows. Any additional feedback on this?

Old 04-09-2017, 11:11 AM

516 posts, read 1,005,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkydapimp View Post
Bumping this thread. I am getting a bunch of quotes. Right now it seems to be down to Okna 800 series double hung and MI Windows 1650 Extreme. Price is about the same in both cases. And the specs seem to be about the same maybe slightly better from what i can tell for the MI Windows. However, from reading comments in this forum and elsewhere, people dont seem to be too fond of the MI windows. Any additional feedback on this?
We went with Okna 500 series and couldn't have been happier. Oknas are only sold through private dealers and Paul (who serves Northern and Western NJ) runs a very customer centric shop. 3 or 4 of my windows had to be adjusted a few months after install due to air gap (shrinkage due to cold winter weather?) and they came out within a few days of my calling and made the 10 minute adjustments. I didn't realize window installation could need some adjustments, so that was a really nice to be covered.

Old 07-03-2018, 05:37 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,517,902 times
Default Anderson Windows?

What is you take on them? Thank you,

Old 07-03-2018, 11:37 PM

482 posts, read 728,562 times
Be careful chasing down the lowest cost of labor. Cheap installation could lead to improper flashing and sheathing and you could get water intrusion and wood rot beneath the windows. It would really bubble up to a HUGE expense in 5 plus years to spot replace exterior walls and siding. Thus offsetting the benefit of new windows with a much much larger expense in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: