Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 02:53 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,887,137 times

Advertisements

They want to cut the Library Funding by 75% and I'm exreatmly worried by this. No more inter library system, no more loans from library to library, no more internet at the library, no more free library. This is what we're looking at. This is a cut that NEEDS to be addressed because it is too much. This is an area that has been relatively efficient when compared to other areas of the budget.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2010, 03:45 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,529,235 times
This is insane. Christie sounds like a monster.

http://act.ly/1rb RT check this out for library advocacy on a federal level--while your back is turned because you're worried about funding your local library, Arne Duncan is chipping away at libraries in the schools. It's a mess. In 20 years we'll be begging china for low level manufacturing jobs because we've lost our intellectual and creative edge.

Old 03-28-2010, 01:42 PM

35 posts, read 126,421 times
did you hear the news? We're broke!!! Got to make painful cuts across the board. That's what Christie was elected to do and that's what he is doing. Suck it up -- enjoy the many services at your library that won't be affected; libraries are becoming obsolete anyway.

Old 03-28-2010, 02:05 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,048,990 times
I have been advocating this for a long time. People need their incomes to put food on the table, keep their kids clothed, and pay utility bills. It is morally wrong to extract money from working people to fund libraries. I think the proper thing to do is privatize libraries and let them support themselves. People who use libraries should be happy to pay a nominal fee for book rentals, which will still be a huge savings over book purchases.

We have to get away from the idea that we need free books and music and movies and internet access at the expense of working people who need their hard-earned money to stay afloat in this overtaxed state.

Libraries need to be completely privatized with no taxpayer contribution. If they provide a useful service they will survive on their own merits.

Food and oil for the furnace are necessary to stay alive. Free access to books and magazines is not.

I think it is greedy to demand free library service when people are actually losing their homes.

Old 03-28-2010, 02:10 PM

153 posts, read 488,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
I think it is greedy to demand free library service when people are actually losing their homes.
I'm all for making cuts, but they have to make sense. Sorry, but libraries aren't bankrupting the state of NJ. Libraries make up less than 1% of my tax bill, and I think they serve a good role as they not only operate in their classic sense (book loans) but host many excellent programs for the community.

Old 03-28-2010, 04:29 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,938,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS37 View Post
I'm all for making cuts, but they have to make sense. Sorry, but libraries aren't bankrupting the state of NJ. Libraries make up less than 1% of my tax bill, and I think they serve a good role as they not only operate in their classic sense (book loans) but host many excellent programs for the community.
I agree. Local libraries also provide a sense of community that is hard, if not impossible, to put a value on. But it goes way beyond dollars and cents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
I have been advocating this for a long time. People need their incomes to put food on the table, keep their kids clothed, and pay utility bills. It is morally wrong to extract money from working people to fund libraries. I think the proper thing to do is privatize libraries and let them support themselves. People who use libraries should be happy to pay a nominal fee for book rentals, which will still be a huge savings over book purchases.

We have to get away from the idea that we need free books and music and movies and internet access at the expense of working people who need their hard-earned money to stay afloat in this overtaxed state.

Libraries need to be completely privatized with no taxpayer contribution. If they provide a useful service they will survive on their own merits.

Food and oil for the furnace are necessary to stay alive. Free access to books and magazines is not.

Do you really think closing libraries is going to stop people losing their homes? Pray tell how.

Old 03-28-2010, 05:38 PM

69 posts, read 294,695 times
I am with privatizing libraries... stop using taxpayer dollars to fund books you can read in the comfort of your own home on Google Books or Kindle... stop giving 50k+ to librarians who do nothing but sit on their butts for 50 years to collect full pension and health benefits.. its a waste of resources... computers are occupied by kids without supervision and NOT for their homework but for facebook! Nobody actually "reads" the books!

Old 03-28-2010, 06:02 PM

20,349 posts, read 19,941,445 times
Quote:
jknic;They want to cut the Library Funding by 75% and I'm exreatmly worried by this. No more inter library system, no more loans from library to library, no more internet at the library, no more free library. This is what we're looking at. This is a cut that NEEDS to be addressed because it is too much. This is an area that has been relatively efficient when compared to other areas of the budget.
Quote:
clevedark; This is insane. Christie sounds like a monster

We're broke, you two. How do you handle your finances?

NJ's politicians have squandered all of the money they've taken from it's citizens and then some.

Do either of you have any real suggestions as to how to operate with the confines of economic realty?

The real monster is NJ's fiscal condition and it's ugly.

Old 03-28-2010, 08:38 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,048,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrero View Post
I agree. Local libraries also provide a sense of community that is hard, if not impossible, to put a value on. But it goes way beyond dollars and cents.
Do you really think closing libraries is going to stop people losing their homes? Pray tell how.
Firstly, I didn't say the libraries should close. I said they should operate without taxpayer subsidy. That would mean they are no longer free, you'd have to pay a membership fee or a per book rental fee. That would be very fair, as the users would pay the freight, while the non-users would not. If they are a value to the community, the community will support the library and it will stay open and viable. If nobody cares, then they would close, and rightly so.

Secondly, eliminating taxpayer support of libraries saves millions of dollars. Those millions are returned to their rightful owners, the working stiffs who earned the money by getting up at 5AM and slogging to work to keep their families fed.

Thirdly, it sets a tone. Everytime a politician FINALLY gets the guts to cut a program, we have an uproar to the effect that the particular program is vital and inviolable and without it we will all die and the public has a right to it and society is better for having it and the alternative is certain death and destruction.

So let's cut the libraries to start and get in the swing of things so we can start cutting everything else and finally getting back to fiscal sanity. I don't care if it's 1% of the budget or whatever, it's definitely millions and it's definitely millions that the people need to have put back in their paychecks.

Old 03-28-2010, 10:29 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,863,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mparikh05 View Post
I am with privatizing libraries... stop using taxpayer dollars to fund books you can read in the comfort of your own home on Google Books or Kindle... stop giving 50k+ to librarians who do nothing but sit on their butts for 50 years to collect full pension and health benefits.. its a waste of resources... computers are occupied by kids without supervision and NOT for their homework but for facebook! Nobody actually "reads" the books!
Not everybody can afford a kindle and they still don't have as much as a library, Christie is slowly burning his bridges in NJ , you can only push us so far in-till we crack and Education is a big thing in Jersey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey