Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 01:33 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,025,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by billb7581 View Post
Take them to Knoebels.

Knoebels Amusement Resort

You can get a room at the Danville Red Roof in for 60 bucks

NO Admission
NO Parking Fee
NO long lines
You can bring food there.
Funnily enough, after posting here, I looked online for the top amusement parks in the US (voted on by people who go to them) and Knoebels comes out in the top 10 every time so that is now definitely on my list. Cedar Point in Ohio always comes out top, with the Disney's and Busch Gardens in there too. Shame the NJ area (20 million people within 90 minutes) can't get it together for a really highly rated park.

In terms of traffic, SFGA IS however right up there, so obviously there won't be any real impetus to clean it up. They're making money hand over fist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2010, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImCurlybelle View Post
I used to go to Great Adventure a lot, however, last time, which was 5 years ago, I noticed it was going down hill alot- Seedy crowd. Alot of kids bused in, city people from inner city areas, people walking around cursing and acting not so classy or respectful, and a alot of gang looking people ....

your kids are young, take them to Hershey Park, Sesame Place, Bronx Zoo .... Great Adventure just seems so scary last time I was there.

WildWood is fun for a weekend and you can find great rates on hotels if you really shop around ....
They're a bit old in mentality for Sesame and Hershey seems to have a similar ride set as GA (although I'd like to know if it is nicer), and we did go to the Bronx Zoo but left a bit deflated (I don't really like animals in cages).

Thanks for the suggestions though.

Old 04-04-2010, 06:20 PM

1,000 posts, read 3,602,311 times
Hershey is mos def nicer than Six Flags GA.

Knoebels is more of an old time amusement park, the way dorney and clementon park used to be with reasonable pay per ride.

We pretty much only go to Knoebels now though. I mainly like wood rollercoasters and the Phoenix is one of the best.

Old 04-04-2010, 09:09 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,691,044 times
As said before, the only time to go to SFGA is early to mid week or when it's cloudy. The weekends are just a disaster.

Old 04-04-2010, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billb7581 View Post
Hershey is mos def nicer than Six Flags GA.

Knoebels is more of an old time amusement park, the way dorney and clementon park used to be with reasonable pay per ride.

We pretty much only go to Knoebels now though. I mainly like wood rollercoasters and the Phoenix is one of the best.
Thanks. After checking out the website, Knoebels really appeals, especially with my kids age ranges and heights and I like that older Americana feel. May go for a couple of days or overnight stay as 3 hours drive is too much for a day trip. Did you ever camp there?

Old 04-04-2010, 11:34 PM

501 posts, read 1,429,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post
Shame the NJ area (20 million people within 90 minutes) can't get it together for a really highly rated park.

In terms of traffic, SFGA IS however right up there, so obviously there won't be any real impetus to clean it up. They're making money hand over fist.
Yeah, it's a shame. =.= Tokyo, a highly packed dense city seem to do pretty well with Disney Land/Sea sitting in their backyard (-although, I do worry about some of the foregin CMs there though). Southern CA, with its own amount of people density, have a good quality local vibe of Disney Land and Downtown Disney. (Although, the Disney park prices sky-rocketed from the 90s era. Also, Disney World has both good and bad points.)

Every good quality park is just not in the tri-state distance. Hershey Park and Dorney Park have that nicer ambience feel than Gadv. Sesame Place is a one-of-a kind favorite for me when I was little. Eveything in PA has that magical good quality, although, they all get less attendance. Cedar Point is pretty far off, but has that great reputation. The Busch parks look very appetizing, but we're all up north from them.

Six Flags theme parks are like McDonalds to me, because of the quantity of them and the company keeps running into some trouble maintaining all of them. Selling them solves some issues, but not all. Gadv was pretty decent back in the 90s, to me, but I can see how it changed over time. It's still kind of ok in a mixed type of way. They've been trying to spruce some things up like the Golden Kingdom. The park still has a long way to go.

Wish there was an extremely decent park nearby that can cater equally to both young and old. That way, it gives more people something to do than go to all the shopping malls in the state. Still even waiting for a large indoor/outdoor hybrid waterpark to open up one day (-South Jersey has two dinky ones, but I'm thinking one that can compete with Wet n' Wild. Ha..).

Old 04-05-2010, 06:20 AM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Thanks. After checking out the website, Knoebels really appeals, especially with my kids age ranges and heights and I like that older Americana feel. May go for a couple of days or overnight stay as 3 hours drive is too much for a day trip. Did you ever camp there?
I've camped there. Book well ahead, the place fills up.

Old 04-05-2010, 06:40 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,006,525 times
Quote:

Not really, SFGA is owned by private equity firms that nearly ran the place into the ground financially, at one point they nearly filed for bankruptcy.
The place is definitely not what it used to be...not taking my kids there either.

Old 04-05-2010, 07:31 AM

1,422 posts, read 3,441,287 times
i usually get a season pass and go nights or during week. i get there an hour before it opens. get on big rides right away. by lunch time go out to parking lot eat,then do smaller rides. but this year no season pass due to bad economy cant afford it,but i know im not missing much,but as far as the workers i remember for a few years there were nothing but russians working the rides,couldn't understand a word they were saying. last year they were english speaking americans. not so sure about this year. i most likely will not be going. most likely taking day trip to hershey instead.

Old 04-05-2010, 05:34 PM

1,000 posts, read 3,602,311 times
Quote:

I dont really camp, I've heard nothing but good things from people who have camped there. We usually hit the Danville Red Roof Inn for 63/nite

It's excellent for younger kids, no hoodlums yelling the F bomb every other word, and everything is run efficiently to keep waiting to a minimum.

My opinion is that an overniter is sufficient. Leave around 7 to arrive when the park opens. Go to the park all day, check into your place that nite.. sleep, go the next day and leave out around dinnertime the following day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey