Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2010, 01:28 PM

2 posts, read 2,887 times

Advertisements

I'm likely being transferred to our US office in mid-town Manhattan soon and will relocate - but my husband will stay in Canada (at least for now). So I'm looking for an apartment that's not too much of a commute to NYC, and also not that far from Newark Airport - since we'll be travelling back and forth quite a bit. I have NO CLUE about New Jersey areas - looking for a 1-bdrm in the $900-$1100 range, clean, safe. Can't spend too much since I'm still paying the mortgage on our Canadian home
Any recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2010, 02:48 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,863,723 times
for that budget, shortest commute to midtown and newark and safe town for a woman by yourself... i would look at Lyndhurst or Rutherford. Both not the nicest town in the world but I believe they are safe and very close to NYC by train.

Also very close to Newark via route 3 to route 21 or Turnpike.

Old 04-02-2010, 03:42 PM

381 posts, read 1,309,665 times
Weehawken is an even better Manhattan commute and not too far from Newark. And has places in that range if you like the idea of a floor in an older building. It's safe and has pretty sections, but it's not exciting. Feel free to DM me if you'd like more info on the town. Good luck!

Old 04-02-2010, 04:26 PM

2 posts, read 2,887 times
Very helpful...thanks! What about Hoboken? I'm OK with a commute of up to 30-40 minutes on transit (I'm in the Toronto suburbs now and commute up to 1 hr, so I'm used to it). I don't care if the community is not exciting, I've "been there, done that" when I first moved away from home almost 30 years ago - I'm happy with a good movie and a good Merlot...but would hope for a restaurant or two (some good takeout maybe?), and local amenities (grocery store, drycleaner, drugstore, etc). I won't have a car.

Old 04-02-2010, 04:54 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,863,723 times
if you don't have a car hoboken is probably the best bet. hoboken is sort of happening though. hoboken is expensive though.

Old 04-02-2010, 05:51 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,977,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnInNY View Post
I'm likely being transferred to our US office in mid-town Manhattan soon and will relocate - but my husband will stay in Canada (at least for now). So I'm looking for an apartment that's not too much of a commute to NYC, and also not that far from Newark Airport - since we'll be travelling back and forth quite a bit. I have NO CLUE about New Jersey areas - looking for a 1-bdrm in the $900-$1100 range, clean, safe. Can't spend too much since I'm still paying the mortgage on our Canadian home
Any recommendations?

Half my relatives are Canadian from the Toronto area. My recommendation to you is you should reconsider and stay in Canada, especially if your coming from Toronto. You will be sadly disappointed with life in the NYC area compared to Toronto. DM me if you like.

Old 04-02-2010, 07:42 PM

381 posts, read 1,309,665 times
Hoboken will never work on your budget. Weehawken has the amenities you mentioned. Not in spades, but we've certainly got the basics. There are several geographical sections of the town which vary widely, so DM me if you get serious about it and want more info.

Old 04-02-2010, 08:04 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,810,102 times
Rutherford would be good. Nice, quiet, safe town. Walkable downtown and shopping. Easy commute to NY and airport.

Old 04-08-2010, 03:47 AM

1 posts, read 1,328 times
You can try this :
[url=http://www.compas24.ca/Montreal/92.html]Assurance sante - Assurances et Hopital - Montreal - Compas24 - Canada[/url]
There is all for Canada. I hope it's util.
Your Pierre Alain
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey