Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 07:57 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,726,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
No, you pay property tax on the blue book value of the car.
Thanks for clarifying
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 08:13 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,684,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Thanks for clarifying
You're welcome.

It does encourage keeping cars longer & most people keep them up. The taxes do vary by state. I could explain how it works in NC, but I think that that would be off topic. Lets just say it keeps property taxes down.

Old 04-29-2010, 08:14 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,688,247 times
funny how privatizing inspections was such a boondoggle for those old enough to remember. poor parsons.

Old 04-29-2010, 08:52 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,322,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
No way, even the worst of NJ is 100 times better then that foresaken overcrowded lunatic island of never ending traffic. At least we're not stuck on any island that people are constantly trying to escape. You can keep LI anytime.
Very funny. Well, NJ does have better pinelands and parks, I'll say that.
But some of these proposals to save money are going to screw the state up.

Old 04-29-2010, 09:03 PM

Quote:
What does Christie have to do with this? I did not see one mention of his name in the article.
I would worry about Long Island if I were you, isn't that where you live??
This idea seems like the kind Christie wants to propose. His agenda is clear, make it easier on drivers and punish those who take transit, and the environment.
I hear Ocean County transit cuts are next.
As far as LI goes, yes its still going to hell in a handbasket with the traffic, SUVs, and illegal problem (mostly caused by those who dont mow their own lawn).
At least I see much less unsightly landscaping trucks when I'm down there.
And while fares go up, at least I know most people who take the bus in NJ speak english, cant say the same for LI.
You guys have a beautiful state, I dont want to see it ruined. Christie's politics of pro-development and less transit are going to turn NJ into a Long Island. Inspections serve a purpose of keeping unsafe vehicles off the road. True, folks drive around with expired stickers, but I saw police checking stickers along Hooper Ave at a checkpoint.
I am not for getting rid of laws that keep the public save. From laws that evaluate development impact (Christie wants to get rid of a law that requires a species inventory of any vacant land to be developed), to laws that keep people from sneaking in (immigration), our quality of life is under assault by those who dont work for "us" but the corporations. If Christie was serious about saving the state money, he'd halt all road projects instead of just transit ones, he'd propose cuts to any benefits non-citizens get, he'd cut costs of government without cutting service.
Here on LI we have such a man, his name is Steve Levy, Suffolk County Exec. Despite the recession, he's kept services going well, and focused on cutting the COST of running government. Christie should trim the FAT, not the MUSCLE, but thats hard for a porker like that to say, of course.

Old 04-30-2010, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
This idea seems like the kind Christie wants to propose. His agenda is clear, make it easier on drivers and punish those who take transit, and the environment.
I hear Ocean County transit cuts are next.
As far as LI goes, yes its still going to hell in a handbasket with the traffic, SUVs, and illegal problem (mostly caused by those who dont mow their own lawn).
At least I see much less unsightly landscaping trucks when I'm down there.
And while fares go up, at least I know most people who take the bus in NJ speak english, cant say the same for LI.
You guys have a beautiful state, I dont want to see it ruined. Christie's politics of pro-development and less transit are going to turn NJ into a Long Island. Inspections serve a purpose of keeping unsafe vehicles off the road. True, folks drive around with expired stickers, but I saw police checking stickers along Hooper Ave at a checkpoint.
I am not for getting rid of laws that keep the public save. From laws that evaluate development impact (Christie wants to get rid of a law that requires a species inventory of any vacant land to be developed), to laws that keep people from sneaking in (immigration), our quality of life is under assault by those who dont work for "us" but the corporations. If Christie was serious about saving the state money, he'd halt all road projects instead of just transit ones, he'd propose cuts to any benefits non-citizens get, he'd cut costs of government without cutting service.
Here on LI we have such a man, his name is Steve Levy, Suffolk County Exec. Despite the recession, he's kept services going well, and focused on cutting the COST of running government. Christie should trim the FAT, not the MUSCLE, but thats hard for a porker like that to say, of course.
You know I was actually reading your post and really giving credence to what you were saying until the last sentence bolded above...

Old 04-30-2010, 01:15 PM

Quote:
You know I was actually reading your post and really giving credence to what you were saying until the last sentence bolded above...
Sorry I just couldn't resist...

Old 04-30-2010, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
Sorry I just couldn't resist...
I know but there are many people out there who have weight problems due to other issues besides over eating..not saying this is the case with Christie though

Old 04-30-2010, 03:38 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,878,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh5 View Post
I would be for no inspection, but you're right, it might be easier for someone to drive around uninsured. That would be crazy.

tell that to the 29 other states.. They seem to work thru it just fine.

Old 04-30-2010, 06:44 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,914,217 times
Wow, ending inspections would be such a great move for the state of NJ.

Here in NC, they'll never get rid of this cash cow business. NC has never met a tax they object to charging the citizens.

Inspections are most beneficial to the shop owners who fleece the public with BS repairs while they hold a car hostage on their rack. I agree with the 29 states that have the fortitude that their police can certainly enforce safety violations on cars.

You go, NJ!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey