Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 12:41 PM

3,516 posts, read 7,780,276 times

Advertisements

I just got my car re-inspected today and besides paperwork and emissions, they didn't check anything. While many might cheer on the convenience of faster less invasive inspections, you have to wonder how many people are driving around old cars with faulty brakes, non-working headlights / brake lights / signals, bald tires, etc. "The Motor Vehicle Commission continues its efforts to encourage vehicle owner responsibility and regular maintenance through its NJ Inspections public education campaign..." I can imagine how that's working, probably right up there with the 14 percent of drivers who don't even bother with liability insurance, can't imagine why they would even bother with car maintenance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 01:05 PM

587 posts, read 2,178,111 times
so your saying a more stringent inspection leads to better car maintenance? Well have you ever been to a shady privately owned inspection center where $$ = pass?
I applaud the new inspection policy, which helps reduce the burden on responsible people. Irresponsible people will not change their habits no matter what.

Old 12-09-2010, 01:09 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,926,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
I just got my car re-inspected today and besides paperwork and emissions, they didn't check anything. While many might cheer on the convenience of faster less invasive inspections, you have to wonder how many people are driving around old cars with faulty brakes, non-working headlights / brake lights / signals, bald tires, etc. "The Motor Vehicle Commission continues its efforts to encourage vehicle owner responsibility and regular maintenance through its NJ Inspections public education campaign..." I can imagine how that's working, probably right up there with the 14 percent of drivers who don't even bother with liability insurance, can't imagine why they would even bother with car maintenance.
I couldn't agree more and is sometimes terrified thinking what's on the road. My last inspection was on my 04 Acura. it literally took less than 10 minutes. The only test they did was the gas cap. I even made it a point to change all my brakes and rotors myself because I expect them to check and make sure that it would last at least 1 year (even though inspection are 2 years). I asked the guy "that's it? You don't check anything?" the response was "your car is new.. don't need anything"). When is a 7 year old car consider new?

My problem.. these people who work for the DMV is getting paid to do NOTHING! Put them on the same list as toll collectors.

Old 12-09-2010, 01:46 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,398,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
i thought the same when i read the changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumra View Post
so your saying a more stringent inspection leads to better car maintenance? Well have you ever been to a shady privately owned inspection center where $$ = pass?
I applaud the new inspection policy, which helps reduce the burden on responsible people. Irresponsible people will not change their habits no matter what.

how is there a burden on responsible people on the old process? you schedule an inspection, show up, you're done in less than 15 minutes. the new process is just a rubber stamp for showing up every x years.

Old 12-09-2010, 01:47 PM

5,771 posts, read 16,582,047 times
On the other side of the coin you many of us have the opinion that we don't need them to tie our shoelaces, we do it ourselves anyway.

Old 12-09-2010, 02:50 PM

563 posts, read 1,286,334 times
both of my cars wouldn't pass the first time, one was a gas-cap ( $2.5 at the local parts store), the other had some code on the computer(not check engine). So I went for a short drive and really floored it, afterwards it passed.
Compared to what some european testing facilities subject your vehicle on a yearly basis, yeah, this is a joke

Old 12-10-2010, 05:33 AM

13,400 posts, read 28,719,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mumra View Post
Exactly and they didn't bother with inspection just kept driving around with an expired inspection sticker until they were caught & ticketed.

Old 12-10-2010, 05:51 AM

367 posts, read 959,757 times
The inspection process was abbreviated because the failure rate for items other than emissions was minuscule and that the cost of maintaining the full program far exceeded the benefits. This is not my opinion, it is fact. Some of you people who believe you need the nanny state to protect you from yourselves really need to rethink your philosophy of life.

Old 12-10-2010, 07:06 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,074,069 times
The inspection process should be at least a minimal visual inspection, brake check & emissions. The first post is right, there could be real sh*tpiles on the road causing accidents.

I always filled up my older cars with premium right before the inspection & never had a problem

Old 12-10-2010, 07:07 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,074,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFBonnett View Post
The inspection process was abbreviated because the failure rate for items other than emissions was minuscule and that the cost of maintaining the full program far exceeded the benefits. This is not my opinion, it is fact. Some of you people who believe you need the nanny state to protect you from yourselves really need to rethink your philosophy of life.
Then why inspect tractor trailers? I'm sure trucking companies never cut corners...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey