Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 04:27 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,270,762 times

Advertisements

Lammius, Greenpoint (and Williamsburg), while they have ugly housing stock, both have the allure and relative "prestige" of being a PART of NYC. For Newark ... eh, I just think it's a REALLY tough sell.

Regarding waterfront, yes, I have vague memories of JC's waterfront in the 80s, but bear in mind ... in JC's waterfront you are looking right across at the Big Apple. On Newark's waterfront ....? I suppose you can build housing, and some sort of riverwalk there, with restaurants, and that would certainly add to the aesthetic appeal, but it does not hold a candle to the panoramic views that Hoboken and JC offer.

I think what it boils down to is what Bob Kovacs said - construction costs are identical to what you've got going up in JC and Hoboken, but you cannot command the rents/prices that those buildings are getting. The dollars and cents just don't work out.

I really don't mean to be a naysayer -- I'm rooting for Newark like most people here. I think some level of "gentrification" will occur (even if that just means an overall sharp decrease in crime, which is already starting to happen), but true gentrification like Hoboken and now JC have experienced I truly think is a long shot.

I spend a fair amount of time in Newark. A couple of sporting events a year, and Portugese food on Ferry Street 3-4 times a year. I really hope it turns around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 04:34 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,960,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Jersey City has boomed because it is wrapped up in the NYC universe. It's easy to get from JC to NYC, but it's hard to get to JC from anywhere else in NJ.
The funny part is downtown JC & many (not all) of the people who reside there love being wrapped up in NYC, but NYC hates your guts, still sees you as B&T trash & hopes JC's development comes to a screeching halt.
It's sort of pathetic how much downtown tries to link itself to NYC. It wants to join a club that wants nothing to do with them. I understand that it is very close & there is going to be symbiosis between the two cities, but the sense of desperate longing I get from some who live downtown is sad.

Old 05-06-2010, 04:36 PM

220 posts, read 701,468 times
to really gentrify the **cker paint the building in rainbow colors..

any decent realtor knows to follow the gays as their presence brings up prop values..

look at previous dumps (debatable) chelsea, grove st (jersey city), morningside heights, alphabet city, east village, montclair, astoria, weho, washington square west..

once the sex dens turn into galleries, high end gyms will come into service the gay community so they can look like their chelsea counterparts, as well as smug cafes used for internet meetups.. ironically befitting not only this community but of the traveling professional, which may just leave enough of an impression during his 2-week consulting project at prudential from NY/DC/LA..

a couple of years of this later, liberal manhattanites and young HNW families, looking for more space, will find the garden lined streets and creative spirit "charming" ultimately pricing out the very same gays and in come the strollers ala prospect park, brooklyn.

once you see the strollers, you know the second wave of gentrification has begun and that's when Per Se west opens up next door (ok maybe thomas keller will never step foot in NJ, but we can dream)

PS is the $38MM tax credit coming from state budget?

Old 05-06-2010, 04:50 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,848,855 times
Jersey City is near empty on the weekends compared to Newark. Downtown Newark is very busy and vibrant on the weekends. People are out shopping and walking around. In JC its like a ghost town even in JSQ. JC's Downtown gives off a cold feeling unlike Newark or Elizabeth.

Old 05-06-2010, 05:21 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,960,487 times
Somewhat off topic (but in the general sphere of Newark); does anyone have updated info about the Riverbend District redevelopment around Red Bull Arena? When will they start vertical construction?
The area around the stadium is horrible right now, yet RBA keeps scheduling these big, international soccer events. It does not give a good impression.

Old 05-06-2010, 05:52 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,749,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Newark has a the Busiest Port on the East Coast , one of the Busiest Airports in the US. Its at the JCT of 3 key Freight lines that shuttle freight all over the Northeast. Its at the JCT of almost all the Key highways in NJ. Its located along the Northeast Corridor the busiest Passenger Railway in North America. Soon it will be located at the end of the Lehigh & Lackawanna Lines. Newark will become the hub of 80% of NJ's Proposed Light Rail network. Compared to Jersey City and Hoboken , Newark has a bigger edge. + Its self-sustaining, it doesn't feed off NYC.

Newark has had all those things you mentioned for a long time (except light rail) and is basically standing still while Hoboken and Jersey City have roared ahead. I don't see how Neark is self sustaining. What is the major industry fueling it's boom?

Old 05-06-2010, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
The funny part is downtown JC & many (not all) of the people who reside there love being wrapped up in NYC, but NYC hates your guts, still sees you as B&T trash & hopes JC's development comes to a screeching halt.
It's sort of pathetic how much downtown tries to link itself to NYC. It wants to join a club that wants nothing to do with them. I understand that it is very close & there is going to be symbiosis between the two cities, but the sense of desperate longing I get from some who live downtown is sad.

Thay can think what they like I rode the real estate appreciation train fueled by NYers leaving for cheaper real estate in Jersey. Hoboken and JC are inextricably linked to NY due to geography. JC and Hoboken certainly don't lack confidence, Trump Tower in JC and W in Hoboken. I don't think residents of either city cares one bit what NYers think.

Old 05-06-2010, 06:00 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,848,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Newark has had all those things you mentioned for a long time (except light rail) and is basically standing still while Hoboken and Jersey City have roared ahead. I don't see how Neark is self sustaining. What is the major industry fueling it's boom?
I was waiting for you to spoil this thread Newark has a Port and a few other things that JC doesn't have. Newark represents NJ , the NJ Gold Coast represents NYC more then Jersey. As for the LRT , Newark has had there line since the 50s and preserved a few others for future use, unlike in the NJ Gold Coast. Newark has an Industrial zone , and nice vibrant Downtown unlike JC.

Old 05-06-2010, 06:07 PM

Quote:
I was waiting for you to spoil this thread Newark has a Port and a few other things that JC doesn't have. Newark represents NJ , the NJ Gold Coast represents NYC more then Jersey. As for the LRT , Newark has had there line since the 50s and preserved a few others for future use, unlike in the NJ Gold Coast. Newark has an Industrial zone , and nice vibrant Downtown unlike JC.

Sorry if reality is a bummer for you. So Newark has had their lines since the 50's yet it has had a decidedly down turn in that period so it doesn't make sense that they will somehow now revitalize the city. Again the ports have been there for a long time, it doesn't make any sense to claim that they will now be a huge factor in Newarks renaissance.

Newark's industry has done little to improve it's fortunes and clearly you have never been to downtown JC, it is doing just fine thank you.

Newark will never have 2 things JC has. A terrific view of Manhattan and Newark will never be as close to NYC as JC is.

Old 05-06-2010, 06:20 PM

431 posts, read 942,542 times
Quote:
Newark has a the Busiest Port on the East Coast , one of the Busiest Airports in the US. Its at the JCT of 3 key Freight lines that shuttle freight all over the Northeast. Its at the JCT of almost all the Key highways in NJ. Its located along the Northeast Corridor the busiest Passenger Railway in North America. Soon it will be located at the end of the Lehigh & Lackawanna Lines. Newark will become the hub of 80% of NJ's Proposed Light Rail network. Compared to Jersey City and Hoboken , Newark has a bigger edge. + Its self-sustaining, it doesn't feed off NYC.

I hear you but like Bob Kovacs said, for some reason people want to charge skyhigh prices for buildings so people won't come. The rent per/sq ft is the same as NYC in some places. In place trying to gentrify that makes no sense. First you gentrify then you can charge hoboken/nyc rates otherwise its stand still.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey