Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 05:05 PM

14 posts, read 107,755 times

Advertisements

That helps out a lot, I'll definitely have to check some places out in those areas then. Definitely Blvd East at least. I was looking at Craigslist, and Blvd East goes into West New York too... any opinions on West New York, is that a decent area to live in or no?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2007, 07:37 PM

51 posts, read 262,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poloatw View Post
That helps out a lot, I'll definitely have to check some places out in those areas then. Definitely Blvd East at least. I was looking at Craigslist, and Blvd East goes into West New York too... any opinions on West New York, is that a decent area to live in or no?
There are some really great buildings all along Blvd East and River Rd...regardless of the town you are in. Keep in mind many of these buildings are condo/co-op buildings with individual owners who rent out to tenants...so don't limit yourself to "apartment" buildings. Once you get off of Blvd East you really have to feel out the area...there are some areas that are not as nice as others. If you stick to what they call the "Woodcliff Section" of North Bergen...which is the "desirable" area that surrounds North Hudson Park...it is fairly safe to say that this part of town is nice even off of Blvd East.

Blvd East starts in Weehawken to the south, then travels north going through West New York, Guttenberg, and then North Bergen...ending in the Woodcliff Section around the park. Some names of luxury condo buildings along Blvd East that I am familiar with are the Parker Imperial in North Bergen, Galaxy in Guttenberg, and Versailles in West New York...and many others. If you are not looking for a hi-rise luxury building there are plenty of other options as well.

Definitely also consider anything you find on River Rd...from Weehawken up to Fort Lee. I hope this helps...if you have any more specific questions let me know.

Old 06-16-2007, 07:32 AM

24 posts, read 114,359 times
Default north bergen

North Bergen still has some nice areas. I would suject the upper part of north bergen, possibly in the 70th st to 80's. Thats the nicer place to lice, but the commute is easier from the lightrail to the city from 48th and tonnelle ave, or 49th st and kennedy blvd. There are buses all over the go to NY.

Old 06-20-2007, 04:06 PM

14 posts, read 107,755 times
Thanks for all of the help. After visiting a few places in Guttenberg, and seeing the view from the downtown area (courtyard by the Galaxy) of Manhattan, I'm pretty much sold. If anything I might venture a little to the south in WNY or north to N Bergen or Cliffside Park... but the area is pretty freaking cool. Thanks again

Old 04-09-2008, 03:37 AM

177 posts, read 700,672 times
What is the commute time by bus from North Bergen to midtown Manhattan?

Old 04-09-2008, 09:23 AM

576 posts, read 1,597,068 times
The part where you say Jersey City and Hoboken are similar in terms of night life couldnt be farther fromt he truth. I dont k now why these two places are always bein compaired to each other , the only similarities is thier location and proximity to NYC. Downtown Jersey City despite the "rennaisance" its having is dead at night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishi View Post
I am young and live on Blvd East in North Bergen right next to North Hudson Park...and have previously lived in Hoboken and Jersey City...and this is what I can tell you...

Buses to NYC and Hoboken run all along Blvd East...they stop at our corner on 79th St...and then you have the light rail and ferries nearby in Weehawken...and I believe there are buses that provide transport to them on Blvd East...so the ease to get to the action isn't bad. By car...it takes me about 5 minutes to get to Edgewater...and maybe 10-15 minutes to get to Fort Lee and Hoboken...going along River Rd.

Bergenline Ave...along with some other smaller streets that run between Blvd East and Bergenline...have tons of shops and other conveniences and some great restaurants...but for nightlife we still head into Hoboken or NYC.

The living here is great though...it is safe where we are, we have a huge place with a terrace that we could never have afforded in Hoboken, indoor parking, and other amenities that come with a luxury building like a pool and a gym...and we are right next to this beautiful park. We feel like we are near the action but far enough away that we can relax.

We are also fans of Edgewater and often go there for eating, shopping, and movies...but it's more expensive. Buses also run along River Rd so I think ease of public transport would be good. If you can afford something in Edgewater I would consider looking there as well.

Also...Downtown JC is probably the most comparable to Hoboken in terms of location, conveniences, and nightlife...unfortunately the prices are also very similar.

I was originally reluctant about moving outside of Hoboken/JC area...but I didn't have enough money to live comfortably in those areas. I am comfortable living here and still so close to the action that I don't miss being in the middle of it.

Old 04-09-2008, 09:25 AM

576 posts, read 1,597,068 times
Also to the OG poster, Guttenberg is pretty nice. In terms of transportation thought I'm not sure. Most likley buses around there that can shoot you over to NYC.

Old 04-09-2008, 10:32 AM

253 posts, read 1,267,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kort677 View Post
forget union city, crowded, and almost all hispanic, unless you don't mind being an outsider
edgewater is close to fort lee and so is cliffside, but you're talking all of 10 15 minue difference, if that, in travel time difference from hoboken
Isn't that the truth!!! so crowded. houses one on top of another. Scarce parking.

My dentist is in guttenberg and it's the same thing. So so so many people, so much traffic and on top of all of that, it's right by Weehawken, so if you try to hit a major highway, you have to give yourself an extra 20 minutes just to get ON the highway because traffic is always backed up with the New York Traffic inbound and outbound.

Otherwise, I like the city. I don't know about crime, but there is certainly a lot of congestion. The schools must be overcrowded.

Old 04-11-2008, 03:33 AM

183 posts, read 521,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishi View Post
I am young and live on Blvd East in North Bergen right next to North Hudson Park...and have previously lived in Hoboken and Jersey City...and this is what I can tell you...

Buses to NYC and Hoboken run all along Blvd East...they stop at our corner on 79th St...and then you have the light rail and ferries nearby in Weehawken...and I believe there are buses that provide transport to them on Blvd East...so the ease to get to the action isn't bad. By car...it takes me about 5 minutes to get to Edgewater...and maybe 10-15 minutes to get to Fort Lee and Hoboken...going along River Rd.

Bergenline Ave...along with some other smaller streets that run between Blvd East and Bergenline...have tons of shops and other conveniences and some great restaurants...but for nightlife we still head into Hoboken or NYC.

The living here is great though...it is safe where we are, we have a huge place with a terrace that we could never have afforded in Hoboken, indoor parking, and other amenities that come with a luxury building like a pool and a gym...and we are right next to this beautiful park. We feel like we are near the action but far enough away that we can relax.

We are also fans of Edgewater and often go there for eating, shopping, and movies...but it's more expensive. Buses also run along River Rd so I think ease of public transport would be good. If you can afford something in Edgewater I would consider looking there as well.

Also...Downtown JC is probably the most comparable to Hoboken in terms of location, conveniences, and nightlife...unfortunately the prices are also very similar.

I was originally reluctant about moving outside of Hoboken/JC area...but I didn't have enough money to live comfortably in those areas. I am comfortable living here and still so close to the action that I don't miss being in the middle of it.

Sounds like you're living in The Stonehenge? Happiest time of my life was there, in the 1970s!

Don't forget that there's also ready access to NYC by Ferry!

Old 07-25-2008, 12:55 PM

36 posts, read 158,092 times
Rather than start a new thread, I thought i'd revive this one.

My girlfriend and I are likely to move to Boulevard East in North Bergen (Late 70's by Hudson Park) We're happy with the area, etc. but my gf doesn't drive and I'm wondering...I'm looking online for the answer to these questions, but if anyone could chime in, i'd appreciate, THANKS ,Mike

Is there a bus to the George Washington Bridge bus terminal from this area?

What is really within a safe walking distance as far as shops etc?

Is there any type of local shuttle or bus that goes from Boulevard E down to River Road in Edgewater or West New York (Whole Foods, A&P, Bergenline?) Not realistic walks, especially in winter or at night.

Where is the nearest Episcopal Church?

Best Take Out Foods? Pharmacies, Dry Cleaners, etc.

Is there a local 'community' on the Boulevard or is everyone pretty much to themselves? My GF is a social butterfly

Last edited by MichaelPh; 07-25-2008 at 01:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey