Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 07:36 PM

1,931 posts, read 3,415,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Never thought I would say this, but I actually agree with bababua on this one (sort of). Part of the reason why our property taxes are so high is because that is the main source of money for education. In other states, the effect isn't as noticeable and direct. The taxes are more spread out.
Listen teachers in NJ need to be paid high salaries only because the cost of living. Hell if houses and the rest were cheap we would have no need to pay teachers 50k+!

Other states pay less for their teachers but and this is one big BUTT! The cost of living is wayyy less. I am sure any teacher in NJ would be willing to accept 30 if the cost of living was say equal to North Carolina.

Regarding school funding I am sorry to break it to you but the majority of states fund their school systems and DO NOT pass on the cost to the municipalities. This is not a right or left issue. Its just the fact. I am not sure why people blast me on this. Has to be purely politics. Again other states do it and they pay their teacher a fair salary relative to the cost of living. WE ONLY pay high municipal taxes because Trenton has squandered away soo much of the revenue in the past and not used it properly. This in turn pits municipal employees vs taxpayers. We are all being taken advantage of and this system is just broke. Look past politics for a second and realize NJ's system is to blame for your high taxes, not teachers or abbott.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 07:47 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,764,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bababua View Post
Listen teachers in NJ need to be paid high salaries only because the cost of living. Hell if houses and the rest were cheap we would have no need to pay teachers 50k+!

Other states pay less for their teachers but and this is one big BUTT! The cost of living is wayyy less. I am sure any teacher in NJ would be willing to accept 30 if the cost of living was say equal to North Carolina.

Regarding school funding I am sorry to break it to you but the majority of states fund their school systems and DO NOT pass on the cost to the municipalities. This is not a right or left issue. Its just the fact. I am not sure why people blast me on this. Has to be purely politics. Again other states do it and they pay their teacher a fair salary relative to the cost of living. WE ONLY pay high municipal taxes because Trenton has squandered away soo much of the revenue in the past and not used it properly. This in turn pits municipal employees vs taxpayers. We are all being taken advantage of and this system is just broke. Look past politics for a second and realize NJ's system is to blame for your high taxes, not teachers or abbott.

Yeah didn't you know magic unicorns sprinkle money over Trenton that they are hoarding instead of passing it on to the schools!

Old 05-19-2010, 07:47 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,939,368 times
Quote:

Of course it's the Abbott districts (among other things) causing property high taxes.

Old 05-19-2010, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Yeah didn't you know magic unicorns sprinkle money over Trenton that they are hoarding instead of passing it on to the schools!
You are soo dense. Other states do it. What dont you get about it? Honestly you cant see past anything other then politics. If you cant be fair dont bother with my post. Keep going with your silly attempts at humor. If you want to have a talk let me know and I can explain these things in person and you can humor me then. If you are in Hudson County we are close.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:03 PM

Quote:
You are soo dense. Other states do it. What dont you get about it? Honestly you cant see past anything other then politics. If you cant be fair dont bother with my post. Keep going with your silly attempts at humor. If you want to have a talk let me know and I can explain these things in person and you can humor me then. If you are in Hudson County we are close.

Ok here it goes. Suppose it costs $100 to educate a student. That hundred dollars can come in any ratio between municipalities and the state. For example $50 can come from the town and $50 can come from the state. Where will that $100 come from? Tax payers. Because $50 of that $100 comes from Trenton doesn't mean they didn't get from the tax payers. If the state pays the whole $100 they still get it from the tax payers. That $100 comes from the tax payers no matter how it finds its way to the schools. What is so hard to understand about this?

Old 05-19-2010, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Ok here it goes. Suppose it costs $100 to educate a student. That hundred dollars can come in any ratio between municipalities and the state. For example $50 can come from the town and $50 can come from the state. Where will that $100 come from? Tax payers. Because $50 of that $100 comes from Trenton doesn't mean they didn't get from the tax payers. If the state pays the whole $100 they still get it from the tax payers. That $100 comes from the tax payers no matter how it finds its way to the schools. What is so hard to understand about this?
I can see that you believe that all revenue that a state makes come from taxpayers. Thats not the case. The state makes money from thing that you do not directly pay. Do you pay taxes for Atlantic City? Do you pay taxes for big business? Do you pay lottery revenues? The state has other sources of revenue other then YOU. Honestly you are one of those people that feel the world revolves around them. You are not the center of the universe no matter how many times your parents lied to you.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:15 PM

NOT TO MENTION.....Other states do it. I know its hard to see past politics but how do they do it?

Old 05-19-2010, 08:21 PM

Quote:
I can see that you believe that all revenue that a state makes come from taxpayers. Thats not the case. The state makes money from thing that you do not directly pay. Do you pay taxes for Atlantic City? Do you pay taxes for big business? Do you pay lottery revenues? The state has other sources of revenue other then YOU. Honestly you are one of those people that feel the world revolves around them. You are not the center of the universe no matter how many times your parents lied to you.
Well yes of course we pay taxes for big business through higher prices.

So what is the state currently doing with the lottery revenue? And AC tax? That's right they are spending it. So you would have them now turn that money over to the municipalities to pay for schools. Ok, well how about the programs and services that those revenue streams currently pay for. How will they be funded? See The picture is much larger than you can imagine. You need to think these things through.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Well yes of course we pay taxes for big business through higher prices.

So what is the state currently doing with the lottery revenue? And AC tax? That's right they are spending it. So you would have them now turn that money over to the municipalities to pay for schools. Ok, well how about the programs and services that those revenue streams currently pay for. How will they be funded? See The picture is much larger than you can imagine. You need to think these things through.
First of all I didnt come up with the idea. Other states did and do it well. How is it that other states can do it and still manage low property taxes? If the majority of states do it this way it can only mean its possible in some capacity in this state as well. Sadly people like you only pass the blame to the working class instead of actually making real changes to the failed policy makers of past and present. Its easier to play politics then actually change the problems. I also understand we pay taxes through our purchases but those are shared unlike the high cost of property taxes which only effect home owners. A vat tax of 1% might help alleviate high property taxes while paying off our debt or eduction spending.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:34 PM

Quote:
First of all I didnt come up with the idea. Other states did and do it well. How is it that other states can do it and still manage low property taxes? If the majority of states do it this way it can only mean its possible in some capacity in this state as well. Sadly people like you only pass the blame to the working class instead of actually making real changes to the failed policy makers of past and present. Its easier to play politics then actually change the problems. I also understand we pay taxes through our purchases but those are shared unlike the high cost of property taxes which only effect home owners. A vat tax of 1% might help alleviate high property taxes while paying off our debt or eduction spending.

Look I am sorry if your idea makes no sense. Other states may use different formulas for collecting and distributing taxes, so what? Other states also don't have to deal with the NJEA. They also spend less than we do on education. We collect so much in taxes and we spend more than we are collecting pure and simple. I wish it were not true but it is, So we have to do something. The wealthy are being chased from the state so we can raise taxes. So we have to cut spending. This is something new in NJ. I know you we prefer the status quo, but the status quo is what has put us in the position we are in.

By the way you should quit while you are behind. Everyone pays property tax, including renters. Don't you think my land lord calculates property tax into my rent?

Ugggh do you even know how VAT works??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Value_added_tax

"Critics point out that it disproportionately raises taxes on middle- and low-income homes."

Not to mention a state can't impose one.

You are a real friend of the worlking man aren't you?

Some more education for you. A real eye opener no?

http://www.taxfoundation.org/research/topic/44.html

Last edited by shorebaby; 05-19-2010 at 08:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey