Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 09:54 PM

220 posts, read 702,188 times

Advertisements

just a little fun, and curious of others' opinions on this:

here's my list, in order

1. northern Bergen County - athletes/musicians in alpine/USR, wall street (what's left at least) in allendale/OT/nor(ridge)wood/hohokus/etc, plastic surgeons & private entrepreneurs abound..go to GSP on a weekday to see all the trophy wives, where the sheer number of 5-series and higher models makes you think its a mere commercial vehicle ala a camry in other parts. they don't shop on fri/sat so they can avoid us common folk and the plebeians from sales tax fearing-NYC per my aunt. Housewives of NJ, but as many Bergenites have already noted, big money prefer to remain private so you won't catch them in such a show.

2. essex falls/short hills/millburn/summit area - short hills mall, it's reputation exists for a reason - characterized by its surrounding parts' tastes.. lot of city workers via connecting trains, but i didn't place at #1 because i feel it's a bit 'out there' in comparison to BC's proximity to city. it shows a bit as i feel BC has a bit more pep and feels more intense (can be good or bad) whereas short hills area feels a bit more reserved. hence, less options compared to BC in terms of dining/shopping/night life (though most go to NY anyway), but who am i to judge? just some plebeian. also taxes = essex, sky = blue.

3. mountain lakes/chester/mendham area - noted it's a geographically large area but it's more rural out west, so i'll leave it as is. i'd say less affected by the city and more of a local economy, but closer to morristown can be an exception.

4. hunterdon county - to be honest, i have no idea. listed because it makes "riches counties list." but to be fair to bergen/essex counties, population in rural hunterdon is probably more homogenous (ie essex #'s are skewed because newark resides with millburn, etc). hunterdon's always confused me - it seems too far from NYC of Philly so i never really know where the money's from, big pharma heads? also, only location outside of 'north NJ.'

**left out hoboken and newport/exchange place as those populations are a bit more transient.

am i forgetting anything?

Last edited by looksrich; 06-07-2010 at 10:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 10:26 PM

6,183 posts, read 6,083,568 times
Warren county.
And I remember growing up in PA all the people that thought they made it big or accumulated wealth and wanted to forget where they came from moved to Cherry Hill. Tons of lawyers and doctors there and a lot of Philly athletes too.

Old 06-08-2010, 04:02 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,407,386 times
Too bad you left out the richest area of all. The northern part of Somerset County. Far hills, Bedminster, Bernardsville, Peapack Gladstone. I wouldn't say there is a lot of wealth there but they built their own train line direct into NYC.
Oh yea, Trump built them a nice little playground in Bedminster called Trump National.

Old 06-08-2010, 04:47 AM

50,931 posts, read 36,618,843 times
I don't know north Jersey, but down here it's Moorestown

Old 06-08-2010, 09:51 AM

201 posts, read 619,915 times
I read somewhere I think Rumson had the highest per capita income in NJ. Though the richest guy in the state Steve Forbes lives in Bernardsville or Bedminster. Can't believe I saw him walking in the bridgwater mall on weekend. He has no compunction walking among the peons. hahah.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:19 AM

11 posts, read 28,116 times
Bergenites have a tough time admitting that several areas, including northern Somerset and parts of Morris County have passed Bergen County in terms of wealthiest areas.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:43 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,715,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
Warren county.
And I remember growing up in PA all the people that thought they made it big or accumulated wealth and wanted to forget where they came from moved to Cherry Hill. Tons of lawyers and doctors there and a lot of Philly athletes too.
I have no beef with Warren County, but it's not even in the same league as the other places mentioned.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:44 AM

220 posts, read 702,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mims94 View Post
Bergenites have a tough time admitting that several areas, including northern Somerset and parts of Morris County have passed Bergen County in terms of wealthiest areas.
unfortunately no, you have to look at $/per sq foot or lot size..

$10MM can still get you 60+acres in Bedminster (Somerset Co.), which is impossible in Bergen County. That price tag will only get you a decent lot size in Alpine/USR/etc.

Last edited by looksrich; 06-08-2010 at 11:48 AM..

Old 06-08-2010, 10:44 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,715,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Too bad you left out the richest area of all. The northern part of Somerset County. Far hills, Bedminster, Bernardsville, Peapack Gladstone. I wouldn't say there is a lot of wealth there but they built their own train line direct into NYC.
Oh yea, Trump built them a nice little playground in Bedminster called Trump National.
this.

Old 06-08-2010, 11:17 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,406,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subban View Post
I read somewhere I think Rumson had the highest per capita income in NJ. Though the richest guy in the state Steve Forbes lives in Bernardsville or Bedminster. Can't believe I saw him walking in the bridgwater mall on weekend. He has no compunction walking among the peons. hahah.
That's probably because 99% of the people wouldn't recognize him, and even if he walked up to them and slapped them across the face with a pile of $100 bills and said "Hi! I'm Steve Forbes!", a vast majority of the responses would be "who???"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey