Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 09:39 AM

1,399 posts, read 4,180,329 times

Advertisements

I'd be interested in knowing the percentage of all adults in NM with college degrees. My guess, and it's only that, would be a higher number. NM has lots of government work, and those people are usually going to be older than the narrow age range used. Also retired people.....I'll bet a large percentage of people who move to NM to retire are degreed.
All that being said, I think the educational system in NM is a disgrace. A real pity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 09:44 AM

Looks like I'm wrong...18 percent...but higher than AZ, Nevada and some other western states
http://wrdc.usu.edu/files/uploads/Population/NewMexico_WEB.pdf (broken link)

Old 06-16-2010, 09:52 AM

46% functionally illiterate...kinda makes you proud.... NOT!
The heritage of poor education is going to follow NM for many years, regardless of what changes are made now. In a decade or two this will improve IF schools improve, but that's a long time to wait.
Poor reading skills usually mean poor job opportunities, which usually means poverty, which usually means poor education, which usually means poor reading skills..................................on and on.
Literacy Profile

Old 06-16-2010, 10:03 AM

1,938 posts, read 4,750,453 times
There's a reason why the US Chamber of Commerce rated New Mexico as the second worst
state for education...

Old 06-16-2010, 07:03 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecpatl View Post
46% functionally illiterate...kinda makes you proud.... NOT!
The heritage of poor education is going to follow NM for many years, regardless of what changes are made now. In a decade or two this will improve IF schools improve, but that's a long time to wait.
Poor reading skills usually mean poor job opportunities, which usually means poverty, which usually means poor education, which usually means poor reading skills..................................on and on.
Literacy Profile
Literacy doesn't improve much with college educations, if at all. Somewhere between half to 69% of college graduates are functionally illiterate now.

Literacy of College Graduates Is on Decline - washingtonpost.com

"It's appalling -- it's really astounding," said Michael Gorman, president of the American Library Association and a librarian at California State University at Fresno. "Only 31 percent of college graduates can read a complex book and extrapolate from it. That's not saying much for the remainder."

Old 06-16-2010, 07:38 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,027,788 times
arnt most blue states suppose to be better in education, I hear people say on these boards they like NM better than some other states cause its a blue state, so why are we on or below MS,AL,WV, and SC levels if we are such a blue state?

Old 06-16-2010, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Literacy doesn't improve much with college educations, if at all. Somewhere between half to 69% of college graduates are functionally illiterate now.

"It's appalling -- it's really astounding," said Michael Gorman, president of the American Library Association and a librarian at California State University at Fresno. "Only 31 percent of college graduates can read a complex book and extrapolate from it. That's not saying much for the remainder."
But they're all GREAT at video games and text messaging

Old 06-16-2010, 09:35 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,752,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post

I must comment that there is a difference between the incapability of reading a complex book to extrapolate from it and functional illiteracy. To be functionally illiterate means literacy skills insufficient for ordinary practical, everyday needs.

Old 06-16-2010, 09:56 PM

1,938 posts, read 4,750,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
I must comment that there is a difference between the incapability of reading a complex book to extrapolate from it and functional illiteracy. To be functionally illiterate means literacy skills insufficient for ordinary practical, everyday needs.
And that inability to function in a normal business environment (clerical, retail, etc.) was
the fundamental reason that the US Chamber of Commerce ranked NM schools so poorly.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:06 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,801,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
arnt most blue states suppose to be better in education, I hear people say on these boards they like NM better than some other states cause its a blue state, so why are we on or below MS,AL,WV, and SC levels if we are such a blue state?
There is a degree of complexity to this question, Desert Sun, that I have thought about for some time. I think it boils down to this: if you are poor in this country, and you are white, you are going to mostly vote Republican. If you are poor, or middle class, and non-white, (hispanic included) you are going to vote mostly Democrat. I would venture to say that Mississippi, Alabama's white vote is much like the black vote nationally, but in reverse: it breaks probably 90% towards Republicans. Interestingly, in those states, if you were to extrapolate these figures out to the areas just beyond the big cities, suburbs of Birmingham, suburbs of Jackson, or New Orleans, you'll probably see the scores of those school districts exceed the national average. But, because these states have such high concentrations of rural poverty, both black and white, they more than offset the good scores of districts surrounding the major cities. I don't know if I am explaining myself articulately or not. I am from New Jersey, and the opposite is true: the state is heavily urban and suburban. The suburbs are so vast in that state, though, and they are inhabited by highly educated people. However, the urban areas have school districts with test scores that rival New Mexico, or Alabama, in educational deficiency. But in the case of New Jersey, the poor run off in the urban districts only slightly pulls down the overall body of work. The fact that New Jersey is blue is due to the same racial minority voting break down, plus the fact that the suburban vote in a state like New Jersey will go more blue because the voter tends to weigh in with a more socially liberal philosophy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico