Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2007, 05:52 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,625,047 times

Advertisements

Reading today on the NM Business Journal in article that NM is rated #6 best state in the nation for Recruitment and Expansion of businesses (arizona #1) and ABQ was #11 best in nation for mid-sized city (Canton Ohio #1) and Bernalillo County was #10 best in the nation for mid-sized counties (Pima Co Arizona #1).

Some good news for New Mexico to pass along as its booming across the state for most parts.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2007, 06:17 PM

271 posts, read 1,175,279 times
From what I've seen since living here in New Mexico, somebody is going to
have to ship a lot of educated and trained people into the state before
any real expansion of economic opportunities is going to occur. It could
be that I dont see it because of living in a smaller town. Even Las Cruces
has very little high tech employment opportunities at this time. Perhaps
the spaceport will bring some magic. The costs for new business should
be favorable but need experienced people as well. I'm sure it will happen
sometime though. I lived in Phoenix for years and it didn't have much to
offer for high paying jobs but it is much improved now.

Old 06-19-2007, 06:38 PM

1,566 posts, read 4,424,863 times
Designer, I agree with you regarding the lack of educated, productive employees in this state.

If NM ever is able to recruit this kind of employee for its burgeoning business climate, it will truly become the land of enchantment.

In addition, the schools need to improve. Once we've elevated our schools, we won't have to go outside the state to recruit.

It's a tall order, but it's necessary.

Old 06-20-2007, 09:18 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,410,769 times
Schools do need to improve for definate. We need motivated workers in the state too. God knows, we have plenty of jobs here with nobody seemingly willing to do them.

Educated is a bonus, but not a must for most part. Alot of the tech supp jobs are reading off a computer screen so reading is all you really need.

One thing im not looking forward to is inflation. With expansion, and better paid jobs means inflation, which the lower waged people definately cannot afford.

Old 06-23-2007, 07:26 AM

271 posts, read 1,175,279 times
I guess when I say Educated I also mean the lack of trained people. Now
I live in a smaller NM town so it may not be a problem in Albuquerque but
I notice that even Las Cruces does not have many high tech jobs. Maybe
some of the University graduates would stick around if they did. LC is really
lacking in that department but I think the city is working on it. I know in
the town I'm in you can make more on welfare than if you work. Also I think
many of the non workers must be selling drugs or doing something illegal like
that to get by because there are a lot of people here that do not work
and I know they are not wealthy.

Old 06-23-2007, 07:59 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,185,180 times
There has been a new survival strategy from the latest generation.

You too, don't have to graduate high school, keep a steady job, or stay clean and motivated.

Your parents will take care of you. They always have.

Even America's poorest are much more comfortable than they were a few generations ago. That wealth has reached a critical mass, and created a class of "professional children". Parents raise these children without driving home the message of self-sufficiency. As a result, the children, once adults, make the parents choose between cutting their children off or enabling their behavior.

What has changed since previous generations is that the parents' wealth and income is sufficient to support this destructive behavior pattern.

People make the mistake of thinking that high school dropouts are too stupid to pass their classes. More so than ever, these kids are as smart as those that do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico