Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2019, 11:09 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,816,707 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone

Anyone on here who have used the rail runner for commuting? If yes, what are your experiences?

Also, what is the general opinion of the rail runner? Is it supported, or are people against it? Will the rail runner grow?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2019, 11:36 PM

16,082 posts, read 10,747,693 times
I prefer the Rail Runner when I go to Santa Fe from Bernalillo -- cheaper than driving and parking. There's a free shuttle when I get there. I'm retired and don't commute. My only beef is the schedule. Like with anything, there will always be whiners but those who ride it seem to like it.

Old 06-12-2019, 07:56 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Hey everyone

Anyone on here who have used the rail runner for commuting? If yes, what are your experiences?

Also, what is the general opinion of the rail runner? Is it supported, or are people against it? Will the rail runner grow?
State report suggests ideas for cuts, changes to Rail Runner service
By: Chris McKee
Updated: May 15, 2019 08:03 AM MDT

Quote:
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (KRQE) - As the Rail Runner continues to see its yearly passenger count decline, state lawmakers say it's a threat to the whole service and they've suggested a list of changes to consider.
Entire Article At: https://www.krqe.com/news/albuquerqu...ice/2002689235

My wife uses the Rail Runner a few times per year to go from Bernalillo to Santa Fe when we have visiting friends and relatives. I drive them to the Bernalillo station and pick them up.

I have met a few people who use it regularly to go to Santa Fe for employment and I have met people who commute and/or carpool.

When I go to Santa Fe, I drive. It is faster and easier for me and offers more flexibility.

I am not against the Rail Runner, but it may have been an expensive expense for the people of New Mexico.

Take a look at the Schedules: https://www.riometro.org/167/Schedules

Old 06-12-2019, 07:51 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,816,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I prefer the Rail Runner when I go to Santa Fe from Bernalillo -- cheaper than driving and parking. There's a free shuttle when I get there. I'm retired and don't commute. My only beef is the schedule. Like with anything, there will always be whiners but those who ride it seem to like it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
State report suggests ideas for cuts, changes to Rail Runner service
By: Chris McKee
Updated: May 15, 2019 08:03 AM MDT

Entire Article At: https://www.krqe.com/news/albuquerqu...ice/2002689235

My wife uses the Rail Runner a few times per year to go from Bernalillo to Santa Fe when we have visiting friends and relatives. I drive them to the Bernalillo station and pick them up.

I have met a few people who use it regularly to go to Santa Fe for employment and I have met people who commute and/or carpool.

When I go to Santa Fe, I drive. It is faster and easier for me and offers more flexibility.

I am not against the Rail Runner, but it may have been an expensive expense for the people of New Mexico.

Take a look at the Schedules: https://www.riometro.org/167/Schedules
I’m considering a job in Santa Fe. I loved Santa Fe, but the job doesn’t pay well enough to live there. I would like to take the Rail Runner from ABQ assuming I got the position.

Thank you for the information.

Old 06-13-2019, 02:59 PM

1,043 posts, read 1,452,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
I’m considering a job in Santa Fe. I loved Santa Fe, but the job doesn’t pay well enough to live there. I would like to take the Rail Runner from ABQ assuming I got the position.

Thank you for the information.
If you're working in central Santa Fe, keeping a normal 8 or 9 - 5 or 6 schedule, and live somewhere near one of the ABQ-area stations, I think it can work OK. For the moment, though, the schedule is pretty limited without many options outside peak commuter hours. The weekend schedule also leaves a lot to be desired. It's also pretty weighted towards Albuquerque-to-Santa Fe commuters (vs. the other way around), but it sounds like that would work in your favor.

Old 06-13-2019, 07:50 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
I know someone who commutes on it from Rio Rancho (wherever the nearest stop is) to Santa Fe, and loves it. So much more convenient than driving! Safer, too, and relaxing. I haven't used it to go from SF to ABQ, because the schedule isn't convenient for day trips, and I don't know if there are transit connections to where I want to go. For example, is there a shuttle or bus from the Rail Runner to Coronado Mall?

Old 06-14-2019, 01:04 PM

1,043 posts, read 1,452,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I know someone who commutes on it from Rio Rancho (wherever the nearest stop is) to Santa Fe, and loves it. So much more convenient than driving! Safer, too, and relaxing. I haven't used it to go from SF to ABQ, because the schedule isn't convenient for day trips, and I don't know if there are transit connections to where I want to go. For example, is there a shuttle or bus from the Rail Runner to Coronado Mall?
Bus information for Albuquerque is actually pretty easy to come by. There are a couple buses that would get you directly to Coronado from either the Downtown Albuquerque/Alvarado Transit Center or Montano Road Railrunner stops. The NM Railrunner website lists bus connections for every station in the system, for example:

https://www.riometro.org/205/Bus-Connections

The entire ABQ Ride system is also available for trip-planning via Google Maps, and the status of any individual bus can be tracked in real time via the City's OneABQ smartphone app:

https://www.cabq.gov/abq-apps/city-a...ing/oneabq-app
0ad48e49ced1:0x82bd3f558485505c!2m2!1d-106.5729886!2d35.1069722!3e3?hl=en[/url]

They've also got old-fashioned bus routes available online and on each bus:

https://www.cabq.gov/transit/routes-and-schedules

For what it's worth, you could get directly to Coronado from the Railrunner by taking either the 157 bus from the Montano Station or the 8 or 766 buses from Downtown ABQ (this is an example of Google's bus route interface) :

Oh, and last but not least bus travel in ABQ, Santa Fe, or Sandoval and Valencia counties is free if you show the driver your Railrunner ticket...

Old 06-14-2019, 06:49 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Hibs View Post
Bus information for Albuquerque is actually pretty easy to come by. There are a couple buses that would get you directly to Coronado from either the Downtown Albuquerque/Alvarado Transit Center or Montano Road Railrunner stops. The NM Railrunner website lists bus connections for every station in the system, for example:

https://www.riometro.org/205/Bus-Connections

The entire ABQ Ride system is also available for trip-planning via Google Maps, and the status of any individual bus can be tracked in real time via the City's OneABQ smartphone app:

https://www.cabq.gov/abq-apps/city-a...ing/oneabq-app
0ad48e49ced1:0x82bd3f558485505c!2m2!1d-106.5729886!2d35.1069722!3e3?hl=en[/url]

They've also got old-fashioned bus routes available online and on each bus:

https://www.cabq.gov/transit/routes-and-schedules

For what it's worth, you could get directly to Coronado from the Railrunner by taking either the 157 bus from the Montano Station or the 8 or 766 buses from Downtown ABQ (this is an example of Google's bus route interface) :

Oh, and last but not least bus travel in ABQ, Santa Fe, or Sandoval and Valencia counties is free if you show the driver your Railrunner ticket...
Thank you so much! Very kind of you.

Old 06-14-2019, 10:42 PM

16,082 posts, read 10,747,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Hibs View Post

My information might be old but the last time I went into ABQ on the Railrunner your ticket had to be purchased on board the train for it to work as a bus pass. Advance purchases via the internet did not work as a bus pass. The conductor gives you a paper ticket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico