Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 12:25 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,873,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerntraveler View Post
I love the mountains too.What small town?What are the winters like in Alamogordo?
The winters are very temperate--we had a real one last year, but the 2 years prior were just like this one. Dry, sunny, a little TOO warm for winter, IMHO.

Yesterday? 64/45.

Alpine, TX? 57/30

There is something protective about the surrounding mountains, with the Sacramentos to the east and the San Andres much farther off to the west.

Something makes it really warm here in the winter most years. It's really not that different from Midland-Odessa weatherwise, except for being drier and not quite as hot in the summer--but still too hot to my liking.

The year I tracked temperatures for this area--it was colder than normal, so......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2010, 08:45 PM

253 posts, read 1,131,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SallyLynn812 View Post
My husband got a job transfer, and assuming things go through ok, we'll be moving to Alamogordo at the beginning of March. We have a 16 month old.
I've looked at the area a lot with Google Earth, and I've even messaged just a couple people on face book asking their opinion of the place. We've looked up crime statistics and weather and other things.
There are a few more people in Alamogordo, but there are also less outlaying cities in the direct area, so I think there would be significantly less people, really. We have more than 10 cities that all converge on one area for shopping and buisness, etc. within a 30 min drive.
The weather in Alamogordo is so much nicer! I hate the humidity here, as well as the cold. Crime in Alamogordo is actually less than it is here! I'd actually say there have been quite a few murders in the area in the last year or two... ugh.

We've looked into apartments and houses (although I know we'll be in an apartment for a while). So far, I like Las Ventanas. I think the only complaint I've seen is about the security deposit, which seems like a problem anywhere.

Anyway. Anyone have any input for me about the area? Or about the apartments?
Hi SallyLynn812

A while ago, I posted some info on Alamogordo for new moms who are also new to the town here:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-m...ml#post8200882

Best!
-Cali-girl

Old 12-18-2010, 01:51 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,340,034 times
Timberon has been pretty mild too this winter.

Tuliegal - that's all we can do is keep hoping and wishing.

Old 12-18-2010, 02:07 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,973,115 times
Okay, what area of the country has summers to your liking cathy?its been warm this winter here in Midland.It got to the 80's the other day.

Old 12-18-2010, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerntraveler View Post
Okay, what area of the country has summers to your liking cathy?its been warm this winter here in Midland.It got to the 80's the other day.
And that is TOO warm. I hate it when it's that hot in late fall (winter is not here YET...LOL!).

Alamo reached 71 one day, and has been in the mid to high 60s most days this month. That isn't TOO bad, but I'd rather it be in the low 50s and below.

Cloudcroft, Ruidoso and Timberon are nice in the summer......but there is nothing for a non-resident to do in Timberon--and not much more to do in Cloudcroft (or Ruidoso) once you are finished eating and shopping/browsing.

Once I get up there (CC/R), I think, "Well, it sure is nice and cool up here...now what?" LOL!

I like Durango in the summer--and I imagine other high elevation places in CO...and WYO are nice most of the time, too, though even Durango can get hot. Durango reached 95 one day this past summer, but it was only for a few hours--and just that one day.

Nothing like Texas' unrelenting heat that lasts from May to the middle-end of October.

Old 12-19-2010, 10:40 AM

Cathy and I love the same type weather.
LOL

Old 12-19-2010, 06:38 PM

36 posts, read 64,786 times
I was born in Ruidoso, & that's as cold as I want to be!
Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
LOL

Old 12-19-2010, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
LOL
Oh, I know you're looking forward to CO and cooler weather, LOL!

As high as Timberon is, it should NOT be that temperate, but it seems to be!

Old 12-19-2010, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuliegal View Post
I was born in Ruidoso, & that's as cold as I want to be!
Oh, that's cool!! (Sorry, no pun intended)....did you grow up there, too?

I just met someone last week who was born in and grew up in Ruidoso.

If I had to do it all over again, I would have gone to Ruidoso to start with!

It's just that I had been away from it for 25 years or so--and to us native West Texans, Ruidoso was a sleepy little ski resort...and a place to escape the summer heat!

Boy, has it ever changed! I had NO idea that it had become a small town with amenities, rather than the small tourist village I had known for a lifetime!!

I was shocked when I went back over there just to visit after moving to Alamogordo!

Don't get me wrong. Alamogordo is a great little town, and probably surrounded by some of the prettiest scenery in New Mexico--but it's just too warm! I can see why all of the Midwesterners here just love it! The weather (other than hot summer) is pretty perfect most of the time.

Old 12-20-2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Oh, I know you're looking forward to CO and cooler weather, LOL!

As high as Timberon is, it should NOT be that temperate, but it seems to be!
Ruidoso is back on the list now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico