Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2013, 01:52 PM

2 posts, read 4,360 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I was wondering if it is possible to live in Taos without a car? Yes, I can hear the laughter now.
Due to medical conditions I do not drive but am healthy otherwise.
I know there is a limited bus service but does it go near any shopping centres?
What about cab companies, are there any in Taos?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2013, 03:14 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,510,449 times
This oughta be good. Just kidding! I know we have the 'Z' Bus in Alamogordo but I don't know much at all about Taos. Someone will chime in before nightfall probably and know the answer to your question.

Old 12-25-2013, 04:37 PM

4,255 posts, read 5,941,923 times
There is a bus that goes along one of the main streets, and it does pass near at least one shopping center. However, I think the service schedule is limited.

I think this might be the one I'm thinking of: Transportation Services - Chile Line

If I am recalling correctly, I took that shuttle to get back to the Greyhound stop at 710 Paseo Del Pueblo Sur, which is part of a shopping center with an Albertson's. I vaguely remember seeing other stripmall types shopping centers in the same area.

I haven't lived in Taos or even spent much time there, but I invesitgated its limited public transportation back when I interviewed for a job there (at which point I still had not bought a car and couldn't yet afford one after relocating).

Old 12-26-2013, 07:44 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,758,425 times
The Chile Line is it for public transportation & does have a stop also at Smith's grocery, although they also have a door-to-door service for the handicapped, the HandiVan:

http://www.taosgov.com/transportatio...cation_001.pdf

They also shuttle from town up to the ski valley.

You'll have to google taxis to see how many available.

Unfortunately, the strip on Paseo Del Pueblo Sur with Walmart, Smiths, Albertsons etc is not particularly walker-friendly down from the plaza area.

Old 12-28-2013, 01:04 PM

61 posts, read 92,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
This oughta be good. Just kidding! I know we have the 'Z' Bus in Alamogordo but I don't know much at all about Taos. Someone will chime in before nightfall probably and know the answer to your question.
lol...I know. The US is the land of cars. Being carless in certain parts of the country is like being an alien from outer space.

Old 12-28-2013, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApartmentNomad View Post
There is a bus that goes along one of the main streets, and it does pass near at least one shopping center. However, I think the service schedule is limited.

I think this might be the one I'm thinking of: Transportation Services - Chile Line

If I am recalling correctly, I took that shuttle to get back to the Greyhound stop at 710 Paseo Del Pueblo Sur, which is part of a shopping center with an Albertson's. I vaguely remember seeing other stripmall types shopping centers in the same area.

I haven't lived in Taos or even spent much time there, but I invesitgated its limited public transportation back when I interviewed for a job there (at which point I still had not bought a car and couldn't yet afford one after relocating).
Yes, "limited" is the word for it. I am resourceful but this is certainly a test.

Old 12-28-2013, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
The Chile Line is it for public transportation & does have a stop also at Smith's grocery, although they also have a door-to-door service for the handicapped, the HandiVan:

http://www.taosgov.com/transportatio...cation_001.pdf

They also shuttle from town up to the ski valley.

You'll have to google taxis to see how many available.

Unfortunately, the strip on Paseo Del Pueblo Sur with Walmart, Smiths, Albertsons etc is not particularly walker-friendly down from the plaza area.
I am able to walk, and run, but my eyesight is not that great for driving, among other things.
Thank you for the tip!

Old 12-28-2013, 03:38 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,346,496 times
Well I was there in September and we walk alot but it seemed every time we crossed a street there was a city bus. Couldn't jay walk with all those buses. By the way in the center of town they now have this blue line that makes it easy to follow and go where you want. If you have a map or in your head know the area this blue line will be nice. I am not sure about living far out of Taos. We go there alot and always have to walk a long distance to our B&B so, my question is where would you live that you could walk out your front door and pick up the bus?

Old 12-29-2013, 10:20 AM

2 posts, read 4,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie at bouontiful View Post
Well I was there in September and we walk alot but it seemed every time we crossed a street there was a city bus. Couldn't jay walk with all those buses. By the way in the center of town they now have this blue line that makes it easy to follow and go where you want. If you have a map or in your head know the area this blue line will be nice. I am not sure about living far out of Taos. We go there alot and always have to walk a long distance to our B&B so, my question is where would you live that you could walk out your front door and pick up the bus?
I think I'd have to live in town, very near the bus line, which seems to go down only one road, which does present some interesting challenges.

Old 03-02-2014, 10:05 AM

147 posts, read 311,202 times
Try looking into Las Cruces down south instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico