Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 10:22 AM

140 posts, read 475,161 times

Advertisements

Sounds like its worth a peek at,but what about the Water contamination shown by the link to a newspaper article from an earlier post?? The couple ended up moving from Questa to Taos after settling with Moly mine,they torn down the cabins,that the couple had in the family for years ,over contaminated water-there is a planned clean up , dealing with the EPA ,Moly mine,(owned by Chevron),and City of Questa.Did it start yet? We are looking to a move to NM ,thats why the questions, we now have plenty of clean fresh and tested great tasting water,to drink and grow things.We know accidents happen, but i dislike Corps that go along irresponsibly until someone gets hurt . NM Rocks we can't wait to come and search for a small humble place we can call Home.
Best Wishes, AJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 09:54 PM

9 posts, read 13,691 times
Try your best to not make any driving violations in Questa, NM because they have only 2 police officers and one of them is supposed to be really harsh and power-abusing and had controversial incidents in 2000

Old 01-04-2012, 06:48 PM

1 posts, read 1,369 times
Hi we are two older ladies. looking for a rent to own in questa. It seems like just the perfect quiet peaceful place we have been looking for. we need a rural home for our animals and can afford not much above 350.00 a month. any place like that? or a link for a newpaper i cant find one in google.

Old 01-05-2012, 06:00 AM

1,789 posts, read 4,341,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Maybe, after we move to NM full time, we'll snowbird to Questa or Chama. There is no way we are going to move from cold snowy New Hampshire to cold snowy New Mexico.

It is a different winter. I lived in the upper midwest and when it was cold, with wind and snow it wasn't fun. I been to Chama dead of winter and the temps full you because the sun and lack of wind.

Old 01-05-2012, 06:54 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,761,940 times
A long time ago I interviewed at the Los Alamos Lab in February. There was about a foot of snow that was mostly melted by the next evening. The Valley was wet with rain.

Too bad they canceled the project or I would have been in New Mexico thirty years ago.

I suggest that anyone looking at a small town in NM use the Road Atlas and Google street view.

Old 01-05-2012, 08:21 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,159,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bettybrabbin View Post
...looking for a rent to own in questa...and can afford not much above 350.00 a month.
The attached photo shows the kind of place that MIGHT be found in Questa for what you can afford to pay since there are plenty more like it in that area.

Last edited by joqua; 05-08-2012 at 07:22 AM..

Old 01-05-2012, 01:11 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,341,390 times
That would have been a nice place to live Greg. I do like Santa Fe and wouldn't mind living just north of there up by Chama.

Our you sure there is a bunch of trailers there. Could be but generally you do not find trailers in that cold of climate but they are every where. You should take a look at OK.

I been to Questa when we drive the enchantment circle. Stopped a few times. Not looking at homes there but I did prefer Red River.

Old 01-05-2012, 01:48 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,749,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bettybrabbin View Post
Hi we are two older ladies. looking for a rent to own in questa. It seems like just the perfect quiet peaceful place we have been looking for. we need a rural home for our animals and can afford not much above 350.00 a month. any place like that? or a link for a newpaper i cant find one in google.
Try the Taos News for Questa rentals or better yet talk to a realtor in Taos to point you towards a rent-to-own option in the Questa area.

Here's an idea of Questa properties for sale from MLS to give you a glimpse of what's up there in Questa if the link remains active:
Taos, New Mexico - Real Estate

Good luck to you two!

Old 01-06-2012, 09:07 AM

5,014 posts, read 7,403,355 times
Where do people get the idea that Questa is a "perfect place"? Decades of mining above this town have left large tailings ponds of liquid hazardous waste. If God forbid the retaining walls should give way (which happens) it would send a wall of liquid waste through the town and into the Rio Grande. I would not want to move into a potentially hazardous area. The Red River, scenic as it is, is highly contaminated, the fish cannot be eaten.

Check out this article from last October in the Taos News, Questa Mine Placed on National Priorities List. It's great news that cleanup of the mines is a priority, but this will be a major undertaking that will go on for decades. Does it mean a constant stream of trucks carrying hazardous wastes through the town? I don't know... but do research before moving to an area such as this.

Old 01-06-2012, 12:56 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,178,279 times
What a huge downer. My main reason for not wanting to live in that part of NM is the cold winters. I suppose you are refrring to the 'town' of Moly, marked on some maps. I agree that it is a blight on the landscape, but I didn't know about the liquid waste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico