Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2007, 05:21 PM

253 posts, read 1,305,865 times

Advertisements

How does it compare with Rio Rancho? Do you know how far it is from Bernalillo and the Alb. airport?
Also, any luxury apartment communities there? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2007, 07:22 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,179,827 times
Corrales is a small rural river village. That's what it wants to be. Few more houses going in, not sure there's apts. for rent there at all.

Looking for an apartment in Corrales isn't unlike trying to drive a moped on the freeway. There are some apt. sized cottages there, which may be for rent.

To understand Corrales, drive through it. Very slow pace of life, very congested, VERY expensive. Rio Rancho & Corrales share a lot of border, but could not be more different.

Corrales is 30-45 min from airport, dep. on how deep in you are. 5-25 min from Bernalillo.

I think you either love it or hate it. I personally would never want to live there.

Old 08-03-2007, 05:13 PM

Would you prefer Rio Rancho over COrrales? I have family in Bernalillo, and am hoping to rent in a very nice place not too far away, and accessible to the Sunport. I don't want to be right smack in Albuquerque, though. thanks.

Old 08-03-2007, 07:14 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,024,515 times
I have always loved Corrales. I would live there in a heartbeat if I had the money, but you would need a lot of big bucks to live there, I guess.

For me, Corrales is 100 times greater in appeal than Rio Rancho.

Old 08-03-2007, 07:45 PM

Can you tell me how so? SOmeone earlier had given the impression that it was remote and desolate (or that's how I interpreted it.) What exactly is it that you like? I really appreciate your response.

Old 08-03-2007, 08:11 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,024,515 times
I haven't been to Corrales for many years, but i am assuming it still looks the same...other members can let me know if the town is the same as the impressions that I remember...

For me Corrales has the feel of being rural but is quite close to the city of Albuquerque. The river runs through it (adacent to it? not sure). There are lots of horses and lots of big shady trees (cottonwoods?) and wonderful old adobe haciendas with great architecture and gardens and fences.

Corrales to me has always seemed quiet and peaceful and relaxing. It is more green than a lot of other places in the same area.

I guess the quaintness and the seclusion is not for everyone.....but to me it is full of character and appeal.

In your case, it is close to Bernalillo and your family. Don't know about rentals.....I think Corrales is mostly upscale single family dwellings.

Old 08-04-2007, 10:50 AM

11 posts, read 41,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
Corrales is a small rural river village. That's what it wants to be. Few more houses going in, not sure there's apts. for rent there at all.

Looking for an apartment in Corrales isn't unlike trying to drive a moped on the freeway. There are some apt. sized cottages there, which may be for rent.

To understand Corrales, drive through it. Very slow pace of life, very congested, VERY expensive. Rio Rancho & Corrales share a lot of border, but could not be more different.
Corrals is defiantly a place that is on the slow side and I wouldn’t recommend speeding there, but it is one of the most beautiful areas in Albuquerque and very safe! They pride them selves in the beauty of the Rio Grande and it’s full of bike trails and beautiful spots to just be out side maybe have a picnic or watch the sunset. I know of some apartments that are not too expansive I am not sure what your price range is but I have looked at them and they are right on the edge of Corrals. Actually I think they are perfectly located. They are right before the road turns to 30 mph and they are with in 5 min of the Mall and all the shopping areas on the Westside and probably 10 min from Rio Rancho. I think Rio Rancho is very dry and sandy and yes housing is probably cheaper but the quality of living is better in Corrals. You could look into living on the Westside which is connected to Corrals and Rio Rancho it has more of a median price range and many apartments that are nice and affordable, and depending on where you live its a 5 to 10 min drive to some of the great walking and bike trails in Corrals so you can live a little more inexpensively and still enjoy the atmosphere and great little shops in corrals when ever you want. Here is the name of the apartments in corrals and actually I think you'll find they are not that expansive They are called:
River Walk at Puerta De Corrales

You can google the name and it will take you to a link at apartments.com that has all the info.
Hope it helps
chynna

Old 05-01-2008, 11:51 PM

2 posts, read 6,312 times
Corrales NM is a pretty village that wants to stay rural. There are no fire hydrants so if your house catches fire.... There is no city water and no sewers, so everyone has a well and a septic tank. Most people have animals. There is no zoning so you see million dollar houses next to yards full of old cars. Many artists live there. The speed limits vary between 15MPH and 30 on most roads. The main road is 35 at points. And the limits are enforced.

Old 05-02-2008, 11:05 AM

908 posts, read 2,852,933 times
I agree with other posters that Rio Rancho and Corrales are diametrically opposed. There's a huge bluff that separates Rio Rancho from Corrales. Intel's plant sits on it over looking the river valley. The area around the river is dense with natural foliage, up on the bluff it's typical high desert terrain. Big skys and some interesting views of the Sandias, but generally not much shade.

Depending on where you are in Rio Rancho, it could actually be quite a bit longer to get to the sunport, although unless you're jet commuting regularly, I don't see why this would have to carry much weight. Due to the way the roads are laid out, there are only so many ways across the river. Most likely you'll be using Alameda to get out of Corrales to go to the Sunport. Depending on where you are in Rio Rancho, you could end up taking Coors to I-40 (I'd rather beat out my own flaming head with a sledge hammer) or cut across to I-25 on 528, Alameda or Paseo del Norte.

Because there's really not anyplace in the metro area that's far from anywhere else, I'd open my search up to other areas and let the luxury apartments be your main driver. If you only intend to do the family visit or airport run once a week or less, it won't be a big deal to get to either from anywhere in Albuquerque. It opens up the possibility of a bunch of nice new lofts and apartments in the downtown area and NE. I've seen apartments in Rio Rancho and near Corrales, and while they're not terrible, Luxurious is not the word I'd use to describe them. Just some food for thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico