Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2011, 07:53 PM

56 posts, read 152,201 times

Advertisements

I'm planning on moving to New Mexico from Michigan - I have no idea about if there will be a danger to my horses and dogs from poisonous snakes and spiders/scorpions. I'll be somewhat near the Madrid area... anyone that lives in the area have any advice?

Thank you!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2011, 04:29 AM

185 posts, read 488,769 times
Default Moving horses

Congrats on your upcoming move! 2 years ago we moved from Minnesota (north of the cities) to Carrizozo, about an hour east of San Antonio, at about 5600 ft, so desert all around. We did find a young rattler in the barn, but that is all we've ever experienced. We did find our horses (Egyptian Arabians) had a bit soft hooves for the rock here (not like the sand they were used to) so we had to add a suppliment to toughen them up a bit. We were on primarily Timothy and orchard grass, and of course that cannot be found here, so get the bales from Colorado through Artesia. Funny bales, compacted down and pretty small-and also pretty expensive! If you are currently on alfalfa, no issues, because you can find tons of that grown locally-just no grass hay. We already had the horses on Sand Clear before, and kept that up here. Plenty of good feed stores, vets, and farriers-at least in our area. Be aware you will need to meet the New Mexico brand inspector and get your horses registered once you bring them here.

On the good side, we were very happy with the lack of bugs here! We always had to put the horses in by 7 pm or they would be eaten alive. Here we leave them out most of the time unless the wind/rain/snow is too much. Should still vaccinate for West Nile, just in case. Also same thing on worms, not much infestation here as it is so dry, but keep up worming them just to be safe. Also, you will still need tank heaters for the winters, but you won't have broken water lines even when they are buried 7' down like we did up north.

Just 1 thing to be aware of, there is some concern of EHV-1 right now, at least in Texas. Although not yet implimented in New Mexico, this could be an issue bringing horses in pretty soon. You might check into this before you load the trailer!

EHV-1 infects cutting horses; not expected to impact track - Ruidoso News

Anyway, congrats and enjoy the great location and the very horse-friendly area here. We sure do!

Old 05-22-2011, 07:30 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,277,593 times
Just as a note, my 28 lb Brittany got bit but good and she came out of it. Snake bites are not usually fatal (specially on something as big a horse) although I wouldn't want anyone to go through having to watch their animal suffer. Horses also don't sniff and dig in the middle of creosote bushes so they're much less likely than a dog to get bit. Scorpions here are about the same as a bee, not dangerous at all. You probably should make sure your barn is cleaned because black widows will like it but, again, they are not very likely to bite a horse.

Old 05-22-2011, 10:04 AM

22 posts, read 117,980 times
In the last issue of Western Horseman there is an add for a new rattlesnake vaccine. I think it takes three shots the first year then two per year after that.
Made by Red Rock Biologics of California. I would spend the money on this if I were in rattlesnake country.
Good luck.

Old 05-22-2011, 01:25 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,342,870 times
Here in Oklahoma all my dogs and horses have been bitten by rattlers and copperheads. One of my horses had a stoke from a rattler and I came close to losing one dog. I think I would like to check out nmbound's post of Western Horseman and the new rattlesnake vaccine.

I've without thinking of stepped over a ratter one (thank you Dear Lord for not letting it bite me). When I first moved to this very rural part of Okie land I was freaking morning day and night from snakes, scorpions, ticks, chiggers and screaming coyotes all night long. I was from Galena, the northwest corner of IL and we were civilized with just an occasional mosquito.

Old 05-22-2011, 04:43 PM

56 posts, read 152,201 times
Thank you all so much for your advice!

I'm sure I'll have more questions as I get closer to the big move... you've all given me a great starting point and were able to guide me in the right direction without making me feel discouraged...

I'll keep doing a little research and see what you all have to say when I get stuck on something.

What a great new bunch of friends!

Thanks,
T.

Old 05-23-2011, 04:10 AM

5,419 posts, read 9,196,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamma Miiagi View Post
Thank you all so much for your advice!

I'm sure I'll have more questions as I get closer to the big move... you've all given me a great starting point and were able to guide me in the right direction without making me feel discouraged...

I'll keep doing a little research and see what you all have to say when I get stuck on something.

What a great new bunch of friends!

Thanks,
T.
Just gonna point out that depending on where you live, there are two ways to rid your property of rattlesnakes:

1. Animal Control (if you're in a town/city)
2. Snakeshot from a pistol (if you're rural)

Watch for rock outcroppings and hollows under large stones and trees.. they like to hang out there. I also hope that your dogs aren't the kind to go sniffing around in those places- nearly had a dog get bitten in the face by a MONSTER rattlesnake here a few years back. I would have NEVER been able to carry him back to the house and get him help in time.

Old 05-23-2011, 07:40 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,163,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
I would have NEVER been able to carry him back to the house and get him help in time.
There is some misconception about snake bites and their effects. The more venom the snake is able to inject, the worse the effects, obviously. Many snake bites don't involve a lot of venom for a variety of reasons and therefore may not necessarily be fatal, or even that damaging to tissues. So one can never generalize. But of course, if bitten, seeking immediate medical help is ALWAYS essential since you can't really know for sure.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:45 AM

1,789 posts, read 4,342,870 times
Then you have people like my husband. This was about 7 years ago when I arrived home after grocery shopping he told me he had good and bad news. The good news was our daughter was just fine but the bad news was she was bitten by a snake and he had to take the teeth out of her hand (picking tomatoes). I screamed why on earth didn't you get to the hospital (we are 35 - 45 minutes to the closest hospital. Oh he said, we just waited and new she was fine after 30 minutes. I would have been sitting in front of the emergency room making sure she was okay!

Old 05-23-2011, 12:14 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,196,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
There is some misconception about snake bites and their effects. The more venom the snake is able to inject, the worse the effects, obviously. Many snake bites don't involve a lot of venom for a variety of reasons and therefore may not necessarily be fatal, or even that damaging to tissues. So one can never generalize. But of course, if bitten, seeking immediate medical help is ALWAYS essential since you can't really know for sure.

Considering that our 100lb dog rather rudely woke the snake up from its afternoon nap, I'm pretty positive it would have been fatal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico