Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 12:23 PM

93 posts, read 138,888 times

Advertisements

Ok, so to alot of New Mexicans especially Catholics it is a tradition to go to Santuario. My mom brought me some dirt because ive been having "problems"in my house. Im not very religious but im verrrry Superstitious. Anyway, does anyone know what we are suppose to do with it? My Grama used to put it i the corners of every room in the house but she died a few months ago so i cant really remember.
I would really appreciate your advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 12:59 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,538,866 times
i sometimes have wondered about that. i looked it up:

Quote:
Many visitors to the church take a small amount of the "holy dirt", often in hopes of a miraculous cure for themselves or someone who could not make the trip. Formerly, at least, they often ate the dirt.[6] (Likewise pilgrims to the original shrine of Esquipulas eat the supposedly curative clay found there.)[8] Now seekers of cures more commonly rub themselves with the dirt or simply keep it. The Church replaces the dirt in the pocito from the nearby hillsides,[12] sometimes more than once a day,[10] for a total of about 25 or 30 tons a year.[11]
holy buckets, that's a lot of dirt.

Old 04-06-2011, 01:01 PM

5,023 posts, read 7,407,431 times
What sort of "problems" are you having in your house? Or is it a secret?

I have gone on pilgrimage to Chimayó a couple of times and have a packet of dirt from there, but I haven't yet used it. I have heard that you can rub it on a part of your body to alleviate pain, or even mix a tiny bit with water and drink it to help with different ailments. I haven't heard of sprinkling it around the house, but why not try it if it gives you peace of mind? It isn't magic, I would say it only has power if you believe in the blessing it transmits. The fertile earth sustains us all and so is a blessing on all of life, but people who have become removed from agricultural society forget this and just think it's "dirty". The holy dirt from the Santuario can be a powerful reminder of earth as a sustainer and healer.

Old 04-06-2011, 01:40 PM

93 posts, read 138,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
What sort of "problems" are you having in your house? Or is it a secret?

I have gone on pilgrimage to Chimayó a couple of times and have a packet of dirt from there, but I haven't yet used it. I have heard that you can rub it on a part of your body to alleviate pain, or even mix a tiny bit with water and drink it to help with different ailments. I haven't heard of sprinkling it around the house, but why not try it if it gives you peace of mind? It isn't magic, I would say it only has power if you believe in the blessing it transmits. The fertile earth sustains us all and so is a blessing on all of life, but people who have become removed from agricultural society forget this and just think it's "dirty". The holy dirt from the Santuario can be a powerful reminder of earth as a sustainer and healer.

well im not religious but i was raised catholic so it doesnt bother me to try things i knew about as a kid. anyway, like i said im superstitious and it seems like every house ive ever lived in was umm i wouldnt say haunted but strange things happen. recently an old lady told me that its not the houses that it might be me. there are always strange feelings and just strange sometimes completely unexplained things happen. im a logical person but sometimes its just like this is ridiculous already, only so many "coincidences" can happen or only so many things can be "explained away".

Old 04-06-2011, 02:29 PM

105 posts, read 212,057 times
I grew up near Chimayo, and many people would use it for cuts and small injuries. I'm not much for believing it actually works. Most tourists usually put it in a jar as a keepsake, or souvenir.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:52 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,686,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Barreras View Post
well im not religious but i was raised catholic so it doesnt bother me to try things i knew about as a kid. anyway, like i said im superstitious and it seems like every house ive ever lived in was umm i wouldnt say haunted but strange things happen. recently an old lady told me that its not the houses that it might be me. there are always strange feelings and just strange sometimes completely unexplained things happen. im a logical person but sometimes its just like this is ridiculous already, only so many "coincidences" can happen or only so many things can be "explained away".
Do strange things only happen in your house? Or do strange things happen in other places or areas of your life? Just curious. I'm extremely religious and extremely superstitious . You could certainly try sprinkling the dirt in the corners like you remember your Grandmother doing - of course while holding the intention for purification, cleansing, driving away negativity, or whatever you want to have happen. If you believe there is something going on with you, then have you ever considered a limpia? I can give you a couple contacts of curanderos/as if you're interested, although you might already know someone who can do this. They might even be able to do a limpia on your house. There are also cleansings that you can perform on your own. Good luck!

Old 04-07-2011, 04:31 PM

206 posts, read 535,092 times
Jeez...This is 2011...Are you People serious?

Old 04-07-2011, 05:08 PM

96 posts, read 289,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike b 1 View Post
You must not be a native New Mexican.

Old 04-07-2011, 06:36 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,754,801 times
Quote:
Yes, you are correct, this is 2011.

Yes, some people are serious about it.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:18 PM

105 posts, read 212,057 times
Quote:
Almost dead serious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico