Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 04:56 AM

1,568 posts, read 4,434,301 times

Advertisements

Sign in Corrales, one of my favorite places.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2011, 06:46 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,918,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish2 View Post
Nam?
No. I did not have a full tour in Nam, it was brief. Three things...
1. 10 days in jail for speeding.

2. Driving a wrecker on a Highway Patrol contract.

3. I forget number three...
I have also worn seat belts since they came out in the 60's. And so did my passengers...

Rich

Old 07-16-2011, 07:07 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,195,502 times
Default True Story

When Gary Johnson was governor of NM, I was speeding on US-54 south of Alamogordo in the early morning hours (5am or so), following a car with NM plates. I was in a car with Texas plates. We were doing 85 when the speed limit was 55 and the highway was still only a 2-lane.

NM state PD pulled us both over. After a brief chat with the NM plate, he let it go and ticketed me. I tossed it in a briefcase and didn't look at it until I was back in Austin. When I did look, imagine my shock to read, scrawled across the front of the ticket; "Hi, My name is Charlie, and I'm gay!"

I decided to take advantage of Gov. Johnson's email address and sent him a digital copy of the ticket with my explanation - accusing the cop of "sexual harassment." Not only did the Gov reply promptly, he promised to have chief of state PD look into it. Sure enough, the court copy (filed in Alamogordo) had the same scrawled message.

Ticket dismissed!

Don't know what the outcome of the investigation was - someone playing a practical joke on a fellow cop? But I thank "Charlie" for saving me a bundle of cash, plus the hours I'd have had to spend in remedial class to keep it off my driving record.

Old 07-16-2011, 07:10 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,754,925 times
Watch out for Eldira, west of Clovis on 70, suddenly 35.

Old 07-16-2011, 07:51 AM

324 posts, read 717,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish2 View Post
That's complete nonsense.. plenty, including myself have been stopped while going the speedlimit. You clearly haven't traveled by car anywhere but your town.
I wouldn't say that to his face! He's one of the original 14,000 - 48 state drivers for United Van Lines - now retired. You'd have to ask him how many million miles he's driven since 1952 - that's before the interstates were conceived. I know his son is out there driving the same routes, so until you've walked in his mocassins..............

Old 08-04-2011, 05:59 PM

64 posts, read 138,968 times
Hawk: You don't need to defend me. Sorry to hear about your Mom. Gonna miss you on the highways. Give me a call when you get over this way - we'll have a big dinner for you.

Old 08-05-2011, 05:21 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,927,409 times
I have been driving for a few decades with very few police stops and no moving violations even though I drove a Chevy pickup that was a moving violation. When we visited NM a few (darn already a few we got to get back) years ago we drove about 1200 miles from ABQ to Silver City and around the Gilla Wilderness, including Mongollon, great road BTW, and I don't recall ever seeing a police car except parked in Silver City. NM is the only place I have ever seen a 75 mph limit on a two lane road. That was on 12 and 60 west of Socorro. Why go faster?

Old 08-25-2011, 11:49 AM

324 posts, read 717,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
[font=Verdana]NM is the only place I have ever seen a 75 mph limit on a two lane road. That was on 12 and 60 west of Socorro. Why go faster?
Because we can! I drive three states and never have a problem with speed or cops. But there are def speed traps and you need to be aware of your surroundings as well.

We got our insurance settlement and now packing up for home. See ya!

Old 08-26-2011, 05:35 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,927,409 times
On the same trip I was driving the poor rental at about 85+ west of the VLA and I spotted a car catching up very quickly. I started to slow down and was passed like I was parked. The car must have been going on the high side of 100. It was not a cop. I thought, good, let him find the speed trap and went back to 85 or so.

BTW - the VLA is spectacular. A visit is worthwhile.

Old 08-26-2011, 07:42 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,195,502 times
I recently got pulled over by the town cop as I drove through Tularosa. I thought I must have been exceeding the 35mph speed limit by a couple of mph, but he got on me for not using my turn signal as I changed lanes. Only a warning - no ticket written - and I suggested he should be working in the Ruidoso area. With his diligence he would be a very busy ticketer!

And I realized later that I have gotten into the habit of not always using my turn signals when lane changing. I notice a lot of drivers who don't, especially on the open road - passing another vehicle on a 2-lane, for example.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico