Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2011, 03:00 PM

1 posts, read 9,558 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering moving to New Mexico. However we would like a little more green grass than in Albuquerque but low humidity. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 03:43 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,179,827 times
To get the combination of low humidity and green grass that Albuquerque offers is pretty rare.

The further south (and further down) you go, the more likely you are to find green grass in a dry setting, though the humidity tends to go up as the grass gets greener. In other words, green grass and humidity go together.

Cities with suburbs and parks tend to be your best bet; places like Los Lunas, Belen, Socorro, and Las Cruces may be worth a look, though they aren't substantially greener than Albuquerque on the whole.

Phoenix and Tucson (not NM, I realize) can be significantly greener, and even though there's more moisture in the air, the temperatures are higher, thus making overall humidity comparable.

Old 07-18-2011, 05:18 PM

121 posts, read 299,174 times
Look into Eastern NM, all yards are grass and they get more rain than Abq, I believe its semi-arid but not a desert.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:45 AM

5,667 posts, read 6,590,852 times
I don't think she is looking for places where people water their lawns... but rather where things are naturally greener. And none of the state is humid, so that really isn't a concern.

NM is generally quite dry in the spring, and fairly dry also in the fall and winter. Summer... early July to mid Sept... is the rainy season when things green up the most.

Probably the greenest part of the state is the eastern slope of the mountains north of Las Vegas. Also the east side of the mountains next to Albuquerque is quite green... or the east side of any significant mountain range. The mountain areas themselves are pine covered and have some flowing streams.

Old 07-20-2011, 07:09 AM

5,013 posts, read 7,401,352 times
The problem with people moving to the Southwest looking for green areas is that sometimes they learn the hard way how quickly it can go up in smoke. This year has been a perfect illustration.

But I would ask the OP, have you ever been to Albuquerque and if so, which areas did you see? There are parts of the valley areas I would consider green but maybe you haven't explored there. Some residential communities (like Tanoan) cultivate more grass than they should have a right to. You can go to one of many parks around town and roll around in the grass if need be.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:38 AM

5,667 posts, read 6,590,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
There are parts of the valley areas I would consider green but maybe you haven't explored there.
This is true. There is a big river that runs through town as well and there is a lot of green along it.

Old 07-20-2011, 07:57 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,335,694 times
Ruidoso, Cloudcroft, Timberon seem to stay fairly green most of the time and have low humidity.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:14 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,179,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
Ruidoso, Cloudcroft, Timberon seem to stay fairly green most of the time and have low humidity.
Green, perhaps, but not grassy so much as piney. Further, the grass still tends to be pretty yellow even if the trees aren't.

The best approach is to live next to a park or golf course in a dry place, so you can get that lush green grass that shouldn't be in a place with such low humidity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico