Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 05:15 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,164,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardown54 View Post
Also what are people's impressions of Las Cruces? I drove down there after visiting ABQ, seemed pretty chill and warm in the winter too. I got the impression it has a bit more Texan feel than other parts of the state.
Ummm...could it be because it's so close to the Texas state line?

I personally find Las Cruces to be just as "New Mexican" as Santa Fe and Albuq. I'm not sure whether or not it has a higher percentage of Hispanics - but my impression is that, being closer to the border, it does.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 10:48 AM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,306,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
On occasion I find myself out of state talking to some well-heeled people, and a frequently recurring theme is that they consider Santa Fe to be some sort of superior existence than Albuquerque (i.e. "once you have it made you can have a house in Santa Fe").

And the odd thing is that neither I nor anyone I know who lives in Albuquerque would ever want to live in Santa Fe if they ever hit it big. Lots of Albuquerqueans greatly dislike Santa Fe; maybe it's the perception of carpetbaggers, or corrupt politicians, or people with their noses in the air. Maybe it's the disproportionately bad traffic, colder weather, fewer amenities, or lower standard of living for the price.

Nothing against most Santa Feans; I'm sure many of them prefer living in Santa Fe and there's nothing wrong with that.

So what I'm racking my brain about is not so much what do these out-of-staters know that I don't, but what do I know that these out-of-staters don't? How does Santa Fe retain such a disproportionately positive reputation outside the state?
Probably because a good chunk of the city's income depends on a well-heeled out-of-state tourist trade, and as a result, they market the highly stylized Santa Fe image heavily – because they have to in order for Santa Fe to survive in its current guise.

It's not a bad thing, I mean if I had to choose to visit NYC or Santa Fe, I'd take Santa Fe everytime.

Old 07-17-2012, 11:27 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,185,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8! View Post
Probably because a good chunk of the city's income depends on a well-heeled out-of-state tourist trade, and as a result, they market the highly stylized Santa Fe image heavily – because they have to in order for Santa Fe to survive in its current guise.

It's not a bad thing, I mean if I had to choose to visit NYC or Santa Fe, I'd take Santa Fe everytime.
It'd be interesting to see how much Albuquerque pulls in versus Santa Fe in tourist dollars. Given the number of hotels in each, Santa Fe may explain a per-capita higher tourism spend but not an overall higher tourism spend.

Could it just be the simple "state capital" thing? Kinda like how people might have talk to you about Bismarck when you tell them you're from North Dakota but odds are you've never been there willingly?

Old 07-17-2012, 11:59 AM
N8!

Quote:

Could it just be the simple "state capital" thing? Kinda like how people might have talk to you about Bismarck when you tell them you're from North Dakota but odds are you've never been there willingly?
That probably has a lot to do with it, along with the Santa Fe Trail & Santa Fe Railroad and old Western movie references in the pop culture lexicon.

Besides, Santa Fe is a lot easier to spell than Albuquerque.

Last edited by N8!; 07-17-2012 at 01:15 PM..

Old 07-17-2012, 09:21 PM

713 posts, read 1,846,199 times
Quote:
It'd be interesting to see how much Albuquerque pulls in versus Santa Fe in tourist dollars. Given the number of hotels in each, Santa Fe may explain a per-capita higher tourism spend but not an overall higher tourism spend.

World class opera, third largest art market in US, Indian Market, Spanish Market, Chamber Music Festival, Santa Fe Trail, Cathedral Basilica of Saint Francis, skiing, celebrities, restaurants, museums, Loretto Chapel, The Plaza, Fiesta de Santa Fe, top ten tourist destination 11 years in a row, Rodeo de Santa Fe, shopping...oh, and state capitol (not capital).

Old 07-18-2012, 07:54 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,164,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loborick View Post
World class opera, third largest art market in US, Indian Market, Spanish Market, Chamber Music Festival, Santa Fe Trail, Cathedral Basilica of Saint Francis, skiing, celebrities, restaurants, museums, Loretto Chapel, The Plaza, Fiesta de Santa Fe, top ten tourist destination 11 years in a row, Rodeo de Santa Fe, shopping...oh, and state capitol (not capital).
Good list, but you left off one very important element - the panorama surrounding the town. MUCH more scenic than the other large cities in the state, and I don't think I'm alone in that opinion. And more accessible to adjacent, even more scenic areas. Oh yes, and don't forget the year around mild weather.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:00 AM

888 posts, read 1,186,839 times
The 'state capitol' thing employees quite a few people.
The majority of employees in my wife's IT office, commute from Albuquerque.
My guess would be that would be the norm, and not the exception, for state employees and contractors?
While tourism is THE big money maker for the Santa Fe area, these state employees and contractors make considerably more than minimum wage.
Thus pumping quite a bit of money into the local economies of Santa Fe and Albuquerque.

Steve

Old 07-18-2012, 08:36 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,083,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
the panorama surrounding the town. MUCH more scenic than the other large cities ...
That might be an interesting poll question. Not [What is the most scenic?], but [How would you rank them?]

My ranking for ( city limits only (*)) scenic panoramas is

(1) - Albuquerque ... Sandias, Manzanos, volcanos, W Mesa, river Bosque, Jemez Mts, Mt. Taylor, Ladron Pk, S. Baldy Pk.
(2) - Taos ............. Sangre de Cristos, W Mesa, Wheeler Peak group, Taos Mountains, Cerro de la Olla, Ute Peak, Pueblo Peak
(3) - Las Cruces ..... Organ Mountains, W Mesa, river Bosque
(4) - Santa Fe ....... Sangre de Cristos, Jemez Mts, Sandias, Cerrillos Hills

Such a poll would require sixteen entries where some votes might be (1) (2) & (3) and [don't care/no opinion] ..
... but voters would have to pick one ... I wouldn't know how to set it up.

Places like Grants, Gallup, Tucumcari, Silver City outrank the best places in most other states, IMO.
The only cities on the coast that compares would be San Francisco, Seattle, and New York.
I'm not into monotonous, flat ocean, so Los Angeles and San Diego and Miami would be right out.

(*) so Taos Gorge doesn't count

Last edited by mortimer; 07-18-2012 at 09:05 AM..

Old 07-18-2012, 09:38 AM
N8!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
That might be an interesting poll question. Not [What is the most scenic?], but [How would you rank them?]

My ranking for ( city limits only (*)) scenic panoramas is

(1) - Albuquerque ... Sandias, Manzanos, volcanos, W Mesa, river Bosque, Jemez Mts, Mt. Taylor, Ladron Pk, S. Baldy Pk.
(2) - Taos ............. Sangre de Cristos, W Mesa, Wheeler Peak group, Taos Mountains, Cerro de la Olla, Ute Peak, Pueblo Peak
(3) - Las Cruces ..... Organ Mountains, W Mesa, river Bosque
(4) - Santa Fe ....... Sangre de Cristos, Jemez Mts, Sandias, Cerrillos Hills

Such a poll would require sixteen entries where some votes might be (1) (2) & (3) and [don't care/no opinion] ..
... but voters would have to pick one ... I wouldn't know how to set it up.

Places like Grants, Gallup, Tucumcari, Silver City outrank the best places in most other states, IMO.
The only cities on the coast that compares would be San Francisco, Seattle, and New York.
I'm not into monotonous, flat ocean, so Los Angeles and San Diego and Miami would be right out.

(*) so Taos Gorge doesn't count
This, except I'd put the view from Tesuque looking north, west, and east as #1.

Old 07-18-2012, 12:18 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,083,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8! View Post
This, except I'd put the view from Tesuque looking north, west, and east as #1.
joqua was talking about "(other) large cities in the state."

The definition of "large cities in the state" may vary. I'm going to say for New Mexico,
Tucumcari is as small as I'm willing to go at just over 5k people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico