Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 10:12 AM

21 posts, read 191,551 times

Advertisements

One thing that I have been Curious about is Pests and Natural Disasters in the NM area.

Reading the Through the Forum I have found that there are Mostly Good things to be said about NM with a few negative. The negative tend to lean more towards people/population. Not really anything Nature related.

Here in Florida we have Mosquitos, Spiders, Snakes, Alligators, Amebas, JellyFish, Sharks, Hurricanes, Tornadoes, Floods, Lightning, and Old People whos still have drivers licenses to worry about. (just to name a few)

what type of Pests/ Natural Disasters do you guys deal with on a daily basis?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2007, 04:24 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,185,180 times
Daily: None really. We get spiders now and again but our spiders are tiny and harmless (compared to the rest of the country).

Every spring & summer: It alternates between flies, cockroaches, and moths. Flies this year. A big yawn, really. Common sense pest control works fine unless the river is next to you. Then, rotsa ruck.

We do not have ticks, and any rodents you see will either be cute (squirrels, prairie dogs) or be very small white mice.

NM has plenty of natural pest control practitioners including coyotes, roadrunners, and birds. I always consider it a treat and a good omen when I see a roadrunner.

Natural disasters: Rare. If you live in a forest, forest fires can happen, but aren't likely. Usually a smoker, punk kid, or moron government employee is the cause. Floods are unheard of. Tornadoes, sometimes, esp. in the east, but also rare (1 sighting per year with no damage is typical). Temperatures here are far more predictable than most places.

Old 08-23-2007, 07:35 PM

393 posts, read 1,497,406 times
How about snakes? Do you get rattlers there? Or gila monsters? I've heard they're poisonous if a dog mouths them, but I'm not sure. I'm thinking of around the Santa Fe area.

Old 08-24-2007, 05:06 AM

1,063 posts, read 3,024,683 times
We do see rattlers, but not many. Just stay our distance and you are fine. Winter is great as they hibernate.
ANd if we do have flash flooding, just be sure you are not in the way. I have seen the damage they can cause here in the state.

Old 08-24-2007, 05:14 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
Add windstorms, lightning, dust, and volcanoes, drugs, drunken cowboys and the occasional nuclear bomb test and New Mexico can be pretty well unlivable.

I suggest everyone stay away so I can afford a house when I move there is a couple of years or so.

Old 08-24-2007, 07:59 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,083,410 times
Don't forget earthquakes.

Old 08-24-2007, 08:18 AM

21 posts, read 191,551 times
It sounds like a walk in the sunshine compared to florida. With all the rain and the "wetlands'' so many creatures live here. i have to shake my shoes after heavy rains just to make sure no spiders slipped in there.

Im excited.

I think the fact that there are No Mosquitos out there is the best thing so far about moving to NM

Did Albuquerque see any of the rain from the tropical storm that hit the N.W. Gulf Coast?

Old 08-24-2007, 09:49 AM

1,872 posts, read 3,408,849 times
We have volcanoes here?
(newbie to NM )

Old 08-24-2007, 12:01 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,083,410 times
egglady openly wondered:

> We have volcanoes here?

Mt Taylor is a volcano. (70 mi W of Albuquerque)
Sierra Blanca is a volcano. (The high point in the Sacramento Mountains)

All of the Jemez is basically one volcano.

Albuquerque's West Mesa has many volcanic vents running N-S

There are many of what appear to be volcanic outcrops that
can be spotted on a drive down I-25.

I'm not listing all the volcanos, just some of them in NM above.

Old 08-24-2007, 02:00 PM

1,872 posts, read 3,408,849 times
Cool! Thanks mortimer
(off to see if I can see Sierra Blanca from here)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico