Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2012, 01:04 PM

911 posts, read 2,157,073 times

Advertisements

We are looking at some rural acreage just SW of Hagerman in Chavez County. I was wondering if there's any issues with violence or smugglimg, etc out there, as i can see its nearby Juarez. I wouldn't be concerned, except i have been told recently by a friend in Tucson that its not safe to drive the highways or anything in southern az or nm because of the violence, kidnappings, carjackings, etc. this surprised me, so i thought i'd check here.

Would you have any concerns or reservations about setting up a small ranch outside Hagerman?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 05:24 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,169,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by famlife View Post
i can see its nearby Juarez.?
Nearby? I presume you're asking about Hagerman, NM - located just north of Artesia, NM?

It's big country, and Hagerman is over 200 miles from Juarez - at least 4 hours driving time. You should rest easy knowing there is no more need to concern oneself with violent acts in that area than there is anywhere in the USA away from the border.

Old 03-14-2012, 07:13 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,187,711 times
Quote:
except i have been told recently by a friend in Tucson that its not safe to drive the highways or anything in southern az or nm
Your friend is mistaken. El Paso TX routinely comes in as one of the safest cities in the US, despite its immediate proximity to Juarez.

Hagerman is 3 hours from El Paso, which is the closest border point. Albuquerque is about as close to Juarez, and it's not close.

Quote:
Would you have any concerns or reservations about setting up a small ranch outside Hagerman?
The area (especially Roswell) is actually pretty high in crime but it tends to be break-ins, shoplifters, drunkards getting out of hand, and methheads doing whatever it takes to get high. They are definitely locals, though, and tend not to be Mexicans (there are a huge number of illegals in the area to work the dairies). For someone with crime on their mind, a ranch out in the boonies will probably be more trouble than it's worth to drive to, but not impossible.

The area is in a 100-year-ish drought right now. I'd very heavily research water rights for the area in question before buying. Water will be your first, second, and fourth biggest concerns, with property crime being third and fifth.

You'd have to pay me pretty handsomely to get me to move out that way again.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:03 AM

Thanks for the info. Yes, we already realize that water will have to be brought in from town most likely, and collected from whatever happens to fall from the sky. If meth heads are the worst we have to deal with, aside from water, which we'd have to figure out, then that's good news. We just want a place to park the camper, saddle up the horses and enjoy some sun over the cold half of the year.

I have another question.. does anyone have experience with the Ft Garland area of Colorado? Could you compare the 2 areas for me? Thanks so much

Old 03-15-2012, 08:21 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,187,711 times
Quote:
I have another question.. does anyone have experience with the Ft Garland area of Colorado? Could you compare the 2 areas for me? Thanks so much
The biggest difference: There are zero mountains anywhere near Hagerman.

Getting water for new agriculture out of the Pecos is problematic. For many years, NM has violated a water compact with Texas by not releasing enough Pecos river water downstream. It must either pump groundwater and release it or pay millions in fines, or both.

For that reason, expect to pay a fair bit more than you might expect for water, esp. considering the bounty of water available in Colorado.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:48 AM

2,878 posts, read 4,634,422 times
Quote:
Thanks for the info. Yes, we already realize that water will have to be brought in from town most likely, and collected from whatever happens to fall from the sky. If meth heads are the worst we have to deal with, aside from water, which we'd have to figure out, then that's good news. We just want a place to park the camper, saddle up the horses and enjoy some sun over the cold half of the year.

Curious: where are you planning on riding your horses? Hagerman appears to be in the middle of nothing interesting, the closest thing seems to be Lincoln natl forest but that looks like a daily trailering thing to me...

OD

Old 03-15-2012, 12:09 PM

We arent looking for anything particularly interesting.. Just better weather than here, dryer, and room to spread out without paying 5k per acre for glorified swamp land and tick/lymes infestation.. Not to mention that up here your land is unusable for 8 months out of the year due to flooding and/or ice and snow and subzero temps. Arid as NM and CO may be, ya know its always a trade off.

Old 03-15-2012, 05:28 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,169,330 times
Quote:
Ft. Garland wins hands down, IMO. It won't be as mild in winter, but it's not that bad either. Wind can be a bother, but that's true of both places at times. And water shouldn't be a big issue in F.G. like it is in Hagerman.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:33 PM

71 posts, read 157,222 times
Spouse and I are also looking to relocate to the Hagerman-Dexter area, for 5 to 10 acres with water and elec. We like the area; you can see Capitan Mountain from there. Antelope graze everywhere. Little over an hour's drive up to the tiny town of Capitan, and further to Cloudcroft and Ruidoso. Several big dairies in Roswell, pecan orchards, lots of farming. We love to visit artist Peter Hurd's home in the Pecos valley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico