Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 03:08 PM

13 posts, read 31,045 times

Advertisements

I'm 70 years old, a starving artist (for the last 6 years) with ~ 90% of his income from SS, have lived long periods in snow country (& love it), and am seriously considering moving to northern NM. In the past, I've lived in the State of Washington, Oregon, Northern California, Arizona, Colorado, & Texas (among other places). Decades ago & just recently, I was a working cowboy. Can't bear hot weather. There's only me & a small dog. Does anyone have info on housing availability & cost in the Angel Fire area (including Taos, Eagle Nest, Cimarron, etc.)? I'd love a shack with utilities & gas or wood stove, but that may be impossible. Can't buy...would have to rent or lease. For my profile, Google: Scott Haley paintings (with no quotes)...then click on Fine Art or FineArtAmerica. Any info, opinions, etc. would be a great help. Just keep in mind that I'm financially strapped...dirt poor. Before stepping into the Fullness of the Void [], all I want to do is live in or near the mountains...and paint. Thanks in advance for any help. Happy Trails
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2012, 04:48 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,413,575 times
I know a little about that area but not about housing options. If my spouse enjoyed the colder climate as much as I do, I would be living up there. We have spent time over the years between Angel Fire and Taos in a small less expensive development Valle Escondido. The valley is about 8400 feet above sea level so even August is awesome...temp wise.

Remote country and beautiful. There are some modest cabins along the route from Angel Fire to Taos that could be available but I dont really know.

Old 11-13-2012, 05:50 PM

Default Thanks, John---

every little bit of info helps. I appreciate it.

Old 11-14-2012, 05:51 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
Default Starving artist blues

I suggest driving down to the area and drive around looking for near abandoned shacks in the woods or out on the prairie. Until then look at the classified ads in the local newspapers. Live as much in your car or a tent as possible until winter.

Old 11-14-2012, 02:28 PM

4,866 posts, read 4,806,048 times
What you are looking for does not exist within the Angel Fire village limits. That is within the resort area and housing is a bit pricier there (and includes a $1,200/yr HOA fee). I think the property in Taos canyon (between Angel Fire and Taos) is also a little pricey.

You'll probably have to look nearer to Eagle Nest, perhaps Cimarron, or south of Angel Fire down 434.

This is the local paper (a weekly):
Sangre Chronicle > Front

You might also check the web sites of local realtors who handle rentals in the general area.

Old 11-14-2012, 04:57 PM

Thanks very much, Greg. Will do. I once camped out on my own remote 38 acres for a yr & a half in N. CA. Had to sell out---the County informed me that one can camp only for 2 weeks, even on your own isolated land.

Old 11-14-2012, 04:59 PM

Thanks much, jimi... Excellent info.

Old 11-14-2012, 06:12 PM

55 posts, read 173,522 times
There are those who run a circuit of state parks camping in NM in semi-permanent residency. Of these, I'm going to guess most are over age 55. I think the limit for camping in one park is 21 days, and then you have to be out of the park for at least 7 days before you can come back to camp. These folks move to a different park (or take a breather in a hotel or some other spot), then return.

People over 62 who are NM residents (you MUST have a NM driver's license) can get an annual camping pass for $100. If you want to stay at an electric site, you have to pay the whopping fee of $4 per night extra.

Fee info: EMNRD State Parks Division

Find a park info: EMNRD State Parks Division

Stay limits:

• Campers may reside in a park for a maximum of 21 days during a 28 day period.
• Campers shall completely remove camping equipment and gear from the park for 7 calendar days during the 28 day period.
• The exception is at Hyde Memorial State Park – the campsites with electric hookups have a 7 day limit.

Old 11-15-2012, 05:25 AM

Thanks for the great info. Coincidentally, just before receiving your reply, I had discovered some of what you said about the State Parks.

Old 11-15-2012, 04:46 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,753,765 times
You also might want to look up on the high road to Taos. Ojo Sarco, Trampas,Penasco, Truchas have a strong artist element,some old rather run-down adobes for rent, most by word of mouth.

Ojo Sarco & other community centers have volunteers that go down to Taos & Santa Fe to the health food markets, get their expired food & give it away to those that might need it. That helps supplement the government food programs.

Dixon also has a supportive community.

Just another nearby area that is much cheaper than Taos or Angel Fire.

Best of luck to you, Scott. Great colors in your cards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico