Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 06:24 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,625,047 times

Advertisements

Mortimer puzzled:

> I don't get it. Both of these places are typical small towns.

As Wisteria stated:

> I didn't care for Socorro (too boring, to me), ...
but earlier wrote
>I really like Truth or Consequences, ....

Maybe it has to do with Tor C having a 60,000 surface acre Reservoir (Elephant Butte) next to it....

Also T or C has unlimited hiking, camping etc...nearby are it is close to the towns of Kingston and Hillsboro which are in/by the HUGE Mountainous expanse known as the Mogollon mountains which cover allmost nonstop across NM to the Superstitions next to Phoenix Arizona.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2007, 08:18 PM

2,308 posts, read 2,587,796 times
Quote:
I live simply, have pets, and am more liberal by nature
Wisteria, Could you please detail the above quote? Are we talking politics or a life style? Thanks! Steve

Old 12-13-2007, 09:53 AM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,785,636 times
Quote:
Steve Hazzard Quote:
I live simply, have pets, and am more liberal by nature

Wisteria, Could you please detail the above quote? Are we talking politics or a life style? Thanks! Steve
Hi Steve. I'm not sure what you are trying to clarify.....

http://www.city-data.com/forum/busin...ml#post2226004 I did post here on the "Simple Living" thread, so that might help explain a bit.

I'm not really political....I am more a middle-of-the-roader politically. I have switched party affiliations many times over the years -- sometimes just for the heck of it -- because I don't really "belong" in any camp -- I'm an individualist, and I have beliefs that fall all over the place.

So, I guess by "liberal," I mean "tolerant and accepting of others and their lifestyles." I have an open attitude, I feel as long as people are good to each other, then it's fine. I have always been the kind of person who has known or had friends who were a bit atypical. As long as someone has a good heart, that is the most important thing to me. So, I guess that is what I meant by "liberal." I would not fit well into a community of biased, one-sideded, or close-minded people. I am not a bleeding heart "Liberal," I am also a social worker but work in a law enforcement agency, so I have compassion for those less fortunate, yet, I also believe people must help themselves, as I have had to do..... I am orginally from the northeast (NYS), but now live on the west coast, and am looking to relocate for retirement. Politics to me is a game, and I am not interested in playing it. I vote based upon issues, and party lines have no bearing. Sometimes I vote Republican, sometimes I vote Democratic and sometimes I vote Independent or Green Party -- it is the issue I look at. I guess I am one of those "swing votes."

I guess some people mistake me for a "liberal" in most things because I teach art, I seem to have this appearance about me that makes people think I am a vegetarian -- I have no idea why this is, but I have so often had people ask if I am a vegetarian!! Weird. I am also very tiny and blonde, so I think maybe there are stereotypes....I don't know. I have traveled widely, lived all over the country, have a higher education, and am agnostic. I'm a mixed bag, but generally, I'm "liberal" in my attitude towards people......

I do not know what you are asking about, specifically, and if this helps to narrow down a place.....does this help?? Thanks.

Last edited by Wisteria; 12-13-2007 at 10:02 AM..

Old 12-13-2007, 03:46 PM

332 posts, read 1,035,848 times
You might think about renting in some of your various places, for six months or so, just to see it from the inside, before making your decision. I have clients who come to Santa Fe at different times of the year, so they can see how they feel at each season, before they'll make a move.

All the places you mention, plus Silver City, have their own merits. Be careful to ultimately pick a location that has enough variety to keep you occupied - there are only so many times you can spend your whole day just looking up at the mountains!

Frank

Old 12-13-2007, 04:08 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,028,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santafescribe View Post
...there are only so many times you can spend your whole day just looking up at the mountains!
Actually that IS what I plan to do the first day I am there. All day. Maybe the first week.

Old 03-12-2008, 06:38 AM

775 posts, read 2,588,356 times
Default Consider Roswell

Consider Roswell for Affordable housing and land and warm climate and a small city with little congestion and Mass Transit and growing towards the North and West all the people i have met there are nice and i go there shopping a couple of times or more a month.Silver city is over 300 miles from the Center of N.M. and from Albuquerque and Santa Fe. Silver City is a Beautiful place and it has Wonderful people but i dont like the Air there or maybe all that copper in the Air is gone after they took down the Smelters. I think they had White Rain in the Area a month or two ago? el pintada kid

Old 03-12-2008, 12:09 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,028,666 times
Pintada Kid:

How come you keep reviving old threads to post the exact same thing over and over?

Why not start ONE THREAD with your message and not post this on so many threads?

Some of us have limited time to read here, and it's a little annoying to see the same message all over the board, especially on old threads.

Old 03-12-2008, 04:58 PM

775 posts, read 2,588,356 times
Default Towanda

I have a webtv box and im new in these groups and dont know how to post a new Thread or even know if i can. What i see in these groups is lots of people giving half the information and leaving out the weather, crime,housing and Vice Versa but its nice to hear the Same opinion once in Awhile just to let people know. Towanda where are you From? If your from Silver City could you tell us what that Milk Rain was about in that area a couple of months ago? el pintada kid

Old 03-12-2008, 05:45 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,083,410 times
Generally, I'll revive an old thread if I need to ask a question <<or>> if I want to post something new, but don't feel it warrants a new thread - being closely related to an old one.

I agree, it is kind of weird to read someone answering a question that is weeks old where the person asking has probably moved on. I read those and
think "what the heck was that?"

I suppose that the late answers won't look all that goofy if someone is using the search function to find out stuff a year later.

Old 03-12-2008, 06:03 PM

946 posts, read 3,266,190 times
Default Learn how to post a new thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
Generally, I'll revive an old thread if I need to ask a question <<or>> if I want to post something new, but don't feel it warrants a new thread - being closely related to an old one.

I agree, it is kind of weird to read someone answering a question that is weeks old where the person asking has probably moved on. I read those and
think "what the heck was that?"

I suppose that the late answers won't look all that goofy if someone is using the search function to find out stuff a year later.
Yes, Mortimer, but as you say, you should have something new to say -- and I am sure that you do. But if a dozen revived threads are all capped with the same comment, then it gets a little tedious, and if we are not careful we end up giving advice to someone who moved to Arizona a year ago -- that is what drew Towanda's comment -- and I agree with her 100%.

Pintada Kid, my advice -- which is well meant -- is that you should learn how to post a new thread.

Last edited by Devin Bent; 03-12-2008 at 06:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico