Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2013, 07:20 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,761,940 times

Advertisements

foxguy148 said it well. There is no reason the ruling class in NM, or anywhere else, should spend their money to provide a good education for kids that might grow up to take the jobs previously exclusive to the children of the privileged.

Them that has, keeps. The hell with them that don't have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2014, 05:53 PM

658 posts, read 1,335,312 times
And the exodus continues.....

Loss of people likely to hit NM economy | ABQJournal Online

Old 01-18-2014, 06:07 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,287,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailtramp View Post
Well, the wages are, indeed, fairly low. I'm coming from Alabama (not a hotbed of high salaries) and am taking a pay cut to move to NM. But it's worth it to me and my family, because the pros of NM outweigh the pros of AL for us as we move toward retirement years.

Old 01-18-2014, 08:14 PM

1,741 posts, read 2,625,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailtramp View Post
That article cites the very same numbers for 2012 that have already been hashed and rehashed in this thread. It's hardly a continuation when it is the exact same numbers from the same year just used in a different article and presented in a different way.

We won't know if the "exodus" has continued until the more detailed breakdown of the estimates for 2013 come out. One thing is for certain and that is that the state's overall population has not ever dropped in the last few years, just as it has never dropped in its entire 102-year history as a state.

And since when is 7,500 more people leaving the state than moving in serious enough to be considered an exodus? Again, that is .25 percent of the state's total population.

Old 01-19-2014, 10:15 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,870,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQalex View Post
That article cites the very same numbers for 2012 that have already been hashed and rehashed in this thread. It's hardly a continuation when it is the exact same numbers from the same year just used in a different article and presented in a different way.

We won't know if the "exodus" has continued until the more detailed breakdown of the estimates for 2013 come out. One thing is for certain and that is that the state's overall population has not ever dropped in the last few years, just as it has never dropped in its entire 102-year history as a state.

And since when is 7,500 more people leaving the state than moving in serious enough to be considered an exodus? Again, that is .25 percent of the state's total population.
Well, more important than sheer numbers coming and going are the last two sentences of the article:

The economic concern is that New Mexico may be perceived as lacking jobs or offering wages that are too low, which are two sides of the same coin, Baker said. If jobs were available, employers would be raising wages to attract the labor from in state and from without.

“Then we also have issues of human capital,†he said. “A lot of talented people who would be happy to stay here know they won’t make the money they could make elsewhere.â€

The bolded red is really the bottom line. I moved to NM only after I retired in 2007--I knew I couldn't make the money in NM that I could in TX, so that really was the deciding factor--and that also applies to NM college graduates who have to move out of state to find well-paying jobs.

Old 01-19-2014, 11:48 AM

2,145 posts, read 5,069,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
I saw the lists of top and bottom states for domestic migration. Basically the states people are moving to and from. It's a U.S Census estimate. The only state on the list of people moving away that surprised me was New Mexico. Especially considering neighboring states Arizona, Colorado, and Texas were on the boom list of states with highest growth.

An annual survey by United Van Lines found the same trend, NM was one of the bottom 5 states with more people leaving than moving to. What is causing this and why it such a different situation that states that border NM?
United Van Lines presumably only includes those who rented moving van companies to move. Some folks ship their, stuff, drive cars, rent their own truck and/or sell their stuff and buy once they arrive. So the UVL survey sounds like a specific demographic, as far as statistics go. I did not read the zillions of pages on this thread...so maybe someone already mentioned this.

Old 01-19-2014, 12:08 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,747,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrmsd View Post
United Van Lines

So the UVL survey sounds like a specific demographic,

I did not read the zillions of pages on this thread...so maybe someone already mentioned this.
It isn't "zillions of pages on this thread", your post is the 306th...

Yes someone already mentioned this...

Old 01-19-2014, 09:37 PM

4,255 posts, read 5,933,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
It isn't "zillions of pages on this thread", your post is the 306th...
I don't think she meant it literally.

Old 01-23-2014, 03:38 PM

1,663 posts, read 3,699,331 times
New census data for NM.
New Mexico?s the only state in the region with more people leaving than arriving, Census Bureau says - Albuquerque Business First

However, personal income growth is expected to be 4.3% for NM in 2014.
Limited job growth for ABQ/NM but strong income growth | ABQJournal Online

I'll take income growth over population growth anyday.

Old 01-24-2014, 08:31 AM

292 posts, read 725,118 times
I definitely can see why people end up leaving NM. I blame the manana attitude, which is a double edge sword and has always set this state behind others. Personally, I could move to TX and make probably double what I am making here in some place like Houston. However, I believe the quality of life there sucks, so unless it is a dream job I will stick around here as long as it make the most sense. This place has become home, and enjoy its uniqueness. That said, if I start feeling stagnant economically, I will do what needs to be done and move on and wait for a better circumstance to move back. I think it's really as simple as that as far as why people aren't sticking around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico