Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 01:58 PM

28 posts, read 159,741 times

Advertisements

Northern Rio Rancho (Enchanted Hills area) is about 45 minutes from Santa Fe. Rio Rancho is situated north of Albuquerque and south of Santa Fe. While we we living there two of our immediate neighbors commuted to Santa Fe, so I don't think it is that bad of a commute. A 2000 sqft house is probably around $250-$270 there. The area is also safe and family friendly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2007, 07:13 PM

57 posts, read 319,201 times
What about Cochiti Lake, Sandia Park or the Cedar Crest area?

Old 03-27-2007, 09:05 PM
_yb

1,120 posts, read 5,289,325 times
You may try and search northern Rio Rancho. Also search Bernalillo and Placitas. Placitas will be more expensive.
Here is a link to search:
http://www.abqrealtors.com/homefinder/ (broken link)

Lot of people travel from the Albuquerque area to Santa Fe and Los Alamos every day for work.

Old 03-29-2007, 05:17 PM

39 posts, read 269,245 times
Default 40minutes from Santa Fe?

Lamy, Madrid, Espanola,Velarde

Old 12-17-2007, 06:22 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,401,768 times
Default Commuting to Santa Fe from Albuquerque?

I might be moving back to NM for a job in Santa Fe and would prefer to live closer to Albuquerque but don't want to drive my car daily to SF. When the Rail Runner gets going, it would be perfect since I'd work near the railyard. I see there is a Park N Ride bus. Does anyone commute to Santa Fe daily? How is it? Are there any other ways to get to the railyard in Santa Fe? Doesn't look like the Park N Ride bus goes there--closest stop seems to be the PERA building. If I get the job, I need to be there Feb 1--won't have much time to decide (positive thinking)

Where would I look at living to make it easy for taking the bus now and the Rail Runner later? I'd rent for at least six months but eventually I would like to buy a place but can't afford much (under 175,000.)

Old 12-17-2007, 08:17 PM

1,763 posts, read 5,997,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancingearth View Post
Where would I look at living to make it easy for taking the bus now and the Rail Runner later? I'd rent for at least six months but eventually I would like to buy a place but can't afford much (under 175,000.)
I can't speak from personal commuting experience, but this URL talks about an express bus link betw. Santa Fe & Bernalillo:

http://www.nmrailrunner.com/news_new_bus_route.asp

Bernalillo would position you well for the rail runner leg the Gov promised us by 2008. I don't know much about living in downtown Bernalillo, but I do know they have the Range Cafe. Their deep-fried chiles are to die for...

Old 12-18-2007, 09:36 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,080,139 times
Dancingearth said that:

> ... a job in Santa Fe and would prefer to live closer to Albuquerque ...

Why would you take a job in Santa Fe if you would rather live in Albuquerque?

Why would you *not* want to live near Santa Fe if you have a job there?

Old 12-18-2007, 11:14 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,401,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
Dancingearth said that:

> ... a job in Santa Fe and would prefer to live closer to Albuquerque ...

Why would you take a job in Santa Fe if you would rather live in Albuquerque?

Why would you *not* want to live near Santa Fe if you have a job there?
I like the work and the pay--same thing is not available in ABQ. I lived in SF eight years already. Can't afford to buy a home in the area. Want more options for a social life. Looking for more of a sense of community and don't want to live in Los Alamos. That said, I also hate spending time commuting when I could be making pottery so I am torn. I might end up renting in SF until I decide. Thanks Tim for the Bernalillo suggestion - I will check it out.

So where are the commuters? Isn't that why they are building the Rail Runner?

Old 12-18-2007, 11:56 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,080,139 times
Dancingearth explained:

> That said, I also hate spending time commuting when I could
> be making pottery

It's good that you are aware of the quantity of your life going to waste for a commute. In addition to your life going up in smoke, there is your money. Even using a shared ride will cost you money.

> I like the work and the pay--same thing is not available in ABQ ...

Yeah, but if you count the commute costs - just the money - ignoring the waste of your life - it should cost you $10 a shared trip. Counting the time, I'd assign the value much higher. Is the extra pay $50 a week? It needs to be about $100 a week since your commute cost is after taxes.

You couldn't get me to work in Santa Fe for an extra $500/week. I might move and downsize my expectations for living arrangements, but I wouldn't commute and **** away my life like that.

> I might end up renting in SF until I decide.

Until you find something somewhat equivalent in Albuquerque, that sounds like the best choice.

> So where are the commuters? Isn't that why they are building
> the Rail Runner?

Yes and a very big "but" there is no cost-benefit analysis to it. Sure, it will serve a few commuters and shoppers, but at what cost? $1,000 per ride?

It is a big experiment with OPM (Other People's Money). They could have done the experiment for far less money using luxury busses that run once an hour to gage the demand.

This is what happens when you give the government an unlimited bank account full of OPM.

Old 12-18-2007, 12:19 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
Stay in SF while you check out nearby towns. I expect waiting for the Railrunner will take quite a while. I suppoert the idea to minimize commuting time. I waste about 10 hours per week on the bus.

Better to "waste" money on the Railrunner than killing people in Iraq. Lots better!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico