Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 03:37 PM

5 posts, read 7,297 times

Advertisements

Hello all, I'm in Albuquerque, NM, and I have a problem with my landlord (maybe).
First of all, I'd like to start off by saying that I have pretty severe social anxiety. If you don't know what that is, and want to know, I highly suggest googling it! This makes it impossible for me to interact with strangers some/most days. I've been having a really bad couple of months and my mother is in the hospital.

Second of all, I'm renting an apartment. Today, I got a notice that my apartment is going to be turning on the air conditioning, and this is what it said, word for word (spelling errors and all): "Dear Resident, Starting On Monday May 12, 2014 and completing work on May 30, 2014 TLC Plumbing will be on property working on all cooling systems. We will need access to your apartment homes during our business hours to properly prepare your apartment and make sure are systems are working correctly. We ask that you please secure your pet(s) when you are not going to be home and also, that you disarm and alarm system you may have in your apartment home between the hours of 7am and 6pm. Please note that we are unable to make appointments for services for your cooler. Thank you for your Cooperation. Management"

Things to know: My apartment office is only open on Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday.

Does this violate the 24-hour notice clause in my lease, as there are 9+ possible days between the 12th and the 30th that they can come? I am not comfortable with not knowing when these people are coming, as it means having strange men in and out of my apartment who knows when. I'm a very small woman who is home alone the entire time they're open, and although this is routine for the TLC people, I'm not willing to let these men into my apartment without my proper 24 hour notice.

I am honestly thinking of breaking my lease over this. I know my fiance is very unhappy, as he has to not only hear me complain about this, but do a lot of strenuous work to keep my dogs locked up practically all week, which is totally unfair but they sense my anxiety and fear when someone knocks on the door and it is impossible to get my fiance's blue heeler up the stairs and into his kennel after someone knocks on the door.

If anyone knows what my legal rights are, please advise me on what to do. I signed a legally binding document and have full intentions of following through on my end, so I will not stand for the office violating it. Thank you in advance for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2014, 03:53 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,783,825 times
You got notice in writing. They are paying people at TLC Plumbing quite well to do work. What do you expect? Contact the landlord see if they can schedule the crews for your apartment.

Break your lease over this if you desire...

Old 05-09-2014, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
You got notice in writing. They are paying people at TLC Plumbing quite well to do work. What do you expect? Contact the landlord see if they can schedule the crews for your apartment.

Break your lease over this if you desire...
Thank you for your reply, Poncho. In the future if you're not going to read the entire thread, please do not bother replying.

Old 05-09-2014, 04:31 PM

534 posts, read 905,280 times
While not a resident of your area, i sympathize with your plight. So much so I don't use a telephone and consider a telephone ring to be an invasion of my life. I do not answer doors and have disabled the door bells. My means of communication is strictly email, that I control.

That being said, there are entanglements that can't be avoided, such as service calls. More so in an apartment. The management has obligations to maintain equipment and AC is very high on the list of importance.

Is it possible for you to observe when the maintenance truck is at your building and then go out shopping or go enjoy a film, then being absent while they perform the work?

Old 05-09-2014, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christinerica View Post
While not a resident of your area, i sympathize with your plight. So much so I don't use a telephone and consider a telephone ring to be an invasion of my life. I do not answer doors and have disabled the door bells. My means of communication is strictly email, that I control.

That being said, there are entanglements that can't be avoided, such as service calls. More so in an apartment. The management has obligations to maintain equipment and AC is very high on the list of importance.

Is it possible for you to observe when the maintenance truck is at your building and then go out shopping or go enjoy a film, then being absent while they perform the work?
I'm not quite on the same level about the telephone as you, but I cannot talk to someone I do not know on the telephone. I can talk to my family, and that's about it. I feel your pain!

Since the truck is going to be here from the 12th to the 30th, although leaving is a great idea, it is not feasible. My social anxiety prevents me from doing things like that, and I find it very infuriating that I cannot seek privacy and refuge in my own apartment.

Is my lease not a legally binding contract? Because my lease doesn't say the LL is required to give 528 hours notice of intent to enter my apartment maybe Friday the 30th, but it does say they are required to give me written 24 hour notice of intent to enter. I need that 24 hours to mentally prepare myself to have to possible fight for my life, and there is no way in hell am I keeping my poor dogs locked in their kennels for nine days.

Old 05-09-2014, 05:29 PM

502 posts, read 1,380,576 times
I think I would explain, in writing, your concerns to your landlord.
I know if I were in your position I would ask that they also put in writing that they are liable for any issues relating to my disabling my alarm system.

Old 05-09-2014, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtncat View Post
I think I would explain, in writing, your concerns to your landlord.
I know if I were in your position I would ask that they also put in writing that they are liable for any issues relating to my disabling my alarm system.
Would I also have to mail it to them and require a signature upon arrival, or do I just...take it to them?

I unfortunately do not have an alarm system aside from my two dogs, and I have mixed feelings about having to put them up before I can let these people in.

Old 05-09-2014, 06:30 PM

502 posts, read 1,380,576 times
I would think by mail and require a signed return on it.
I would be real unhappy having to lock my dogs up every day until they were finished.

Old 05-09-2014, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtncat View Post
I would think by mail and require a signed return on it.
I would be real unhappy having to lock my dogs up every day until they were finished.
I don't think they'll get it before Monday, and it's too late where I live to do anything today, but I'll try this. Thank you!

Old 05-12-2014, 02:44 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
I suggest you call the landlord and try to get your apartment at the front of the schedule. Explain your anxiety disorder.
For the time your unit is being worked on you rent a motel room and board your dogs in a kennel for that time. Consider the cost another part of your affliction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
View detailed profiles of: